Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
SASSY MINX
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Turkey Day is coming up & thought we could share our recipes.. I'm hosting this year for my husband's side, only 5 of us but not really looking forward to it since none of my side of relatives can make it :/...

But I thought to make things more fun we could have a recipe thread if other's want to share traditions & dishes, etc :roll:

·
my crazy little mutt pack
3,272 Posts
I make this cherry upside down cake thing (have no idea what to actually call it) anyway it is very rich but taste so good

ingredients
1 can of cherry pie mix
1 box of vanilla cake mix
as much butter as needed lol
crushed pecans

how to make
poor the cherry pie mix in the pan
dump the cake mix on top
cover the cake mix in butter makes sure it all has a decent but not to much butter covering the top of all the cake mix
sprinkle with the crushed nuts
put in the oven at 350 for about 20min or until the top looks crumbly
take out let cool and eat it

easy cheap and yummy!!

Reactions: Lex's Guardian

·
Registered
294 Posts
I make this cherry upside down cake thing (have no idea what to actually call it) anyway it is very rich but taste so good

ingredients
1 can of cherry pie mix
crushed pecans

how to make
dump the cake mix on top
cover the cake mix in butter makes sure it all has a decent but not to much butter covering the top of all the cake mix

easy cheap and yummy!!
man that is the effing bomb. my cousin made this last year for one of the holidays & i am hooked!!!

ok so i make this corn casserole thingy that i could eat all myself lol

1 can of whole kernel corn
1 can of creamed corn
8oz sour cream
1 box jiffy mix
2 eggs
1/4 to 1/2 c butter
dash of sugar & pepper

mix all together, pour in greased or buttered pan for about 45 min on 350

·
SASSY MINX
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

ingredients
1 can of cherry pie mix
crushed pecans

how to make
dump the cake mix on top

easy cheap and yummy!!
man that is the effing bomb. my cousin made this last year for one of the holidays & i am hooked!!!

ok so i make this corn casserole thingy that i could eat all myself lol

1 can of whole kernel corn
1 can of creamed corn
8oz sour cream
1 box jiffy mix
2 eggs
1/4 to 1/2 c butter
dash of sugar & pepper

mix all together, pour in greased or buttered pan for about 45 min on 350
Both those sound delicious!! :roll:

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts

Reg dinner here. Turkey, Spiral Ham.. Pea and fruit salad..Yams...Breads... Pie... Hmm can't think of anything special Thanksgiving is one of the less planned out dinners of my year lol.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
Besides all the normal things,I can tell you the southern way to go.

I fix some collard and mustard greens.We fry up some bacon before hand.Then take the bacon out and use the bacon grease to fry the greens in.Meanwhile I tear up the bacon and put chunks into the greens.Of course I'm seasoning them with pepper,seasoned salt,garlic salt/powder.
You have to make fried corn bread or biscuits to go with them.

There's plenty more.Like field peas and snaps,fried green tomatoes,stewed cabbage...... I could go on and on.Just let me know if you want the southern back woods recipes.Not really tempting I know,but darn are they tasty!

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
Lisa... I'm with you there, especially with the seasoned greens and cornbread. Mmmmm! I just ate and that's makin me hungry all over again!

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
My fav thanksgiving/christmas dish is my grandmas california salad its a family tradition and most outsiders? in laws lol usually turn there noses up until we convince them to try it, its like ambrosia.
a bag of mini colored marshmallows
2 cans [small} of mandarine oranges { they work best cause they peeled}
about 250ml of sour cream { small conainer}
1-2 cups of coconut flakes depending on how much you like it
a can of crushed pineapple DRAINED

mix everything together minus 1 can of the oranges use that last can to decorate the top , best if made the day before and let sit overnight in the fridge.
I usually make a double batch and use the med size sour cream its Definately my fams favorite dish we fight over the left overs :)

Reactions: Lex's Guardian

·
Registered
81 Posts
oww Thanksgiving is the day afta my Birthday lol..

·
SASSY MINX
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Besides all the normal things,I can tell you the southern way to go.

I fix some collard and mustard greens.We fry up some bacon before hand.Then take the bacon out and use the bacon grease to fry the greens in.Meanwhile I tear up the bacon and put chunks into the greens.Of course I'm seasoning them with pepper,seasoned salt,garlic salt/powder.
You have to make fried corn bread or biscuits to go with them.

There's plenty more.Like field peas and snaps,fried green tomatoes,stewed cabbage...... I could go on and on.Just let me know if you want the southern back woods recipes.Not really tempting I know,but darn are they tasty!
Mmmm. Sounds delicious - can I stop by your house for thanksgiving ;)

My fav thanksgiving/christmas dish is my grandmas california salad its a family tradition and most outsiders? in laws lol usually turn there noses up until we convince them to try it, its like ambrosia.

mix everything together minus 1 can of the oranges use that last can to decorate the top , best if made the day before and let sit overnight in the fridge.
I usually make a double batch and use the med size sour cream its Definately my fams favorite dish we fight over the left overs :)
That sounds really good, my mom used to make something like that but with different fruits. Yours sounds better :)

oww Thanksgiving is the day afta my Birthday lol..
Happy almost b-day

Yummmmmmmmmmm. I usually just take recipes off the internet I don't have any special recipes... so people give me more! Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
foodnetwork.com ;) Rachel Ray, Barefoot Contessa, Guilianna (i think her name is) & Paula Dean have some great recipes

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
Bobby Flay baby Bobby Flay!

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts

Thats a riot, this is our BBQ get together dish :) We call is Ambrosia but no coconut. hmmm maybe I should try :)

We always have typical meal, BUT Mashed Potatoes. Most people up here make rice, not mashed potatoes and I just think thats weird cause what do you do with the peas! but I guess they dont have peas they ahve corn with the rice. anyway...

this is my fav for turkey day and xmas. My grams LOVES (aww she and my grandpo died this year so its the first holiday without them, just made me sad) they love pearl onions, here is a way to get both so we are all happy:

1 10 oz. bag very small white pearl onions unpeeled
1 1/2 pounds small brussels sprouts, trimmed
3 TBS. ( or more) prepared white horseradish
2 tsps. all purpose flour
1/8 tsp. ground allspice
3/4 cup whipping cream
3 tbs. butter
1 tsp. chopped fresh thyme

Peel onions, leaving core intact. Cut brussels sprouts in half through root end. Cook onions in large pot of boiling salted water until tender, about 5 minutes. Using large strainer, transfer onions to bowl; set aside to cool. Return water to boil; add more salt. Add brussels sprouts and boil until just tender, about 6 minutes. Drain well; cool.(Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Combine vegetables in medium bowl, cover and chill.)

Whisk horseradish, flour, and allspice in small bowl to blend; whisk in whipping cream. Melt butter in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add chopped thyme and stir for 30 seconds. Add vegetables to cream mixture and saute until heated through, and vegetables are coated, about 4 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper, adding more horseradish by 1/4 teaspoonfuls, if desired. Transfer vegetables to bowl. Garnish with thyme sprigs, if desired.

soo soooo yummy!!!

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
This one always works (for me anyway).

Needed:

One half full 16oz MT. Dew bottle

Enough Rum to fill empty half of Dew bottle

Carefully add Rum into the Dew bottle, oh, don't spill any

Mix & place bottle in freezer to get really COLD

Remove from freezer & enjoy the mixture while wife is doing cooking

Repeat process during the day as needed :roll:

Enjoy your Turkey Day!

·
SASSY MINX
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thats a riot, this is our BBQ get together dish :) We call is Ambrosia but no coconut. hmmm maybe I should try :)

We always have typical meal, BUT Mashed Potatoes. Most people up here make rice, not mashed potatoes and I just think thats weird cause what do you do with the peas! but I guess they dont have peas they ahve corn with the rice. anyway...

this is my fav for turkey day and xmas. My grams LOVES (aww she and my grandpo died this year so its the first holiday without them, just made me sad) they love pearl onions, here is a way to get both so we are all happy:

1 10 oz. bag very small white pearl onions unpeeled
1 1/2 pounds small brussels sprouts, trimmed
3 TBS. ( or more) prepared white horseradish
2 tsps. all purpose flour
1/8 tsp. ground allspice
3/4 cup whipping cream
3 tbs. butter
1 tsp. chopped fresh thyme

Peel onions, leaving core intact. Cut brussels sprouts in half through root end. Cook onions in large pot of boiling salted water until tender, about 5 minutes. Using large strainer, transfer onions to bowl; set aside to cool. Return water to boil; add more salt. Add brussels sprouts and boil until just tender, about 6 minutes. Drain well; cool.(Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Combine vegetables in medium bowl, cover and chill.)

Whisk horseradish, flour, and allspice in small bowl to blend; whisk in whipping cream. Melt butter in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add chopped thyme and stir for 30 seconds. Add vegetables to cream mixture and saute until heated through, and vegetables are coated, about 4 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper, adding more horseradish by 1/4 teaspoonfuls, if desired. Transfer vegetables to bowl. Garnish with thyme sprigs, if desired.

soo soooo yummy!!!
Ambrosia, that's what my Mom used to call it... The other recipe sounds really yummy too

Needed:

Enjoy your Turkey Day!
That'll be my hubby, minus the liquor & add the code red mountain dew... Lol

·
my crazy little mutt pack
3,272 Posts
Ok so just learned this one and it is soooo good

Ingredients

1 grand cracker pie crust
1 can of pumpkin
1 small tub of cool whip
1 8 oz thing of cream cheese
1 package of vanilla instant pudding
2 tablespoons of sugar

Ok so to make a home made pumpkin pie

Mix the pumpkin and pudding mix (do not make the pudding just mix it with the pumpkin)

Line bottom of pie crust with mixture go about half way up

Place cream cheese in the microwave till soft (not liquid)

Once cream cheese is soft mix 2 table spoons of sugar with it
Take cream cheese sugar mix and mix with container of cool whip (best to make a divot in cool whip for less spillage)

Take cool whip mixture and load on top of the pumpkin mix so that it is rounded at top

Place in the refrigerator overnight to set

Eat the delicious goodness

Simple and yummy how I like it ;)

·
Registered
1,652 Posts

Needed:

Enjoy your Turkey Day!
I will definitley be following your recipe...thank you :)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts