Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
so i just bought myself a 15 foot lead and i thought 15 feet would be extremely long. well it wasn't very long at all... its only as long as my flexi leash.. lol. anyways what im getting at is.. how would i go abouts training my dog with a 15 foot lead.. im pretty much CLUELESS of what i can do with it.. the lady who sold me it said it was a great way for him to learn the come command but my boy already knows the command he just listening whenever he feels like it but if he knows i have food then hes gonna be comming to me anyways... so whats the point of the 15 foot leash if i can only recall him with the leash and not without it... and what other sorts of things can i teach him with it? i guess i can just use it as a safeguard for when i want to go to the park and play fetch with him and if he tries to run off from me he has a 15 foot leash dangling from his collar haha

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
The 15ft leash should help you work on 100% recall. Your dog should come to you everytime you call them not when they feel like it or if you have food.

Attach the leash and let your boy play call his name and say "come". If he doesn't come right now say it again and start reeeling him in. Once he is coming on his own stop the reeling and praise like there is no tomorrow. Love him up and send back out to play. Wait abit and call him to come again.
I love the long line for teaching this.

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
Oh I forgot you asked what else you can do with it. You can teach your dog to sit and stay. Walk out in front him and have him sit there for a minute and call him to you. Work up to the end of the 15ft lead. You can also training the down, stay command too. Doing it the same way as the sit stay command.

·
Registered
771 Posts
you use it as a way to give correction from a distance. You say come and doesnt look, give it a good firm yank, not to pull him over his back, but to get his attention to what your saying.

Think of it as training heel, from a distance, same type of jerk correction.

You can also try the reel as stated above, but if they are fighting it, best to stop pulling cause they are just gonna pull back.

You can also use this to teach him how far he can go ahead. This is used by bird dog hunters for ages. When the dog reaches the max distance you want, then you correct, showing him with the lead how far he can go ahead.

You can do this by just droping the lead and when he gets to you max point, step on the leash until, and give a back command.

Some more ideas for ya, you can also check out actual bird dog training books. I know its set up for hunters but they do offer quite a bit.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hi thaim,

You can use your long line to teach your dog opposition reflex, to help him learn to stay, which takes time and mental maturity to master.

Standing nest to your dog, grasp the leash a couple of inches out from his collar, doesn't matter what position you use, most use a sit. Put one hand on his chest. Gently pull the leash straight forward while bracing with your hand on his chest--- start out with a count of 3, one, two, three. When you feel your dog resist the forward pull of the leash, you can stop helping him with your hand and start to inch your way toward the end of the lead. Once the pup is participating, I put pressure on the leash in all directions, going back to helping with my hand as needed, until no matter which way I pull, the dog will brace up. This gives the dog an active means to participate in the stay, and a better understanding-- rather than passively sitting.

Go slowly as your dog is a puppy, not capable of being still for much more than a few seconds, and you want to set them up for success. Put the praise on the stay rather than the release out of it, increase your counting slowly.

Julie K

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Julie, Great suggestion, I plan to start using that technique right away, I have trouble teaching Lady stay because she always wants to be near me, we go back over and over, but if I give her something to actually do other than wait she might respond better.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
good replys. thanks everyone for the suggestions. my boy is actually pretty good at these commands already because i practice ALOT in the house. im sure he will be a great dog after im done training him outside at the park =) i guess the main reason for me even making this topic was because i can't process how a 15 foot leash will prevent him from running if he were to go off leash. my dog seems to know very well whether or not his leash is on or off... and as soon as he knows that his leash is off he likes to run around all over the place... i've never actually really tried the come command off leash before because i get very worried that hes going to see another dog or animal. but almost 100% of the time he comes when i call him.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts