Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Suicide Soap actor, whats your thoughts?

OK so from what I have read this guy was told he was grandfathered in when his building went with a BSL against Pit Bull type dogs. But after that people would still harass him and give him a hard time if he didn't obey the new rules, like not leaving your dog alone for more than 9 hours at a time. They made it hard for him, could not take main elevators with his pup, etc. you know all things that tons of people have to deal with on a daily basis owning this type of dog. So he decides to put his dog down cause he can't live with harassment?? Then he can't live with the guilt of killing a perfectly happy, healthy 5 year old dog, so he decides to kill himself... I am sorry, but this dude had issues and it had nothing to do with BSL.

The building is claiming its crazy that they should be blamed for his death and I kinda agree. Although I do not have ALL the facts, just what I have been reading online. But could he not have found a new home for this dog or had someone watch him? Could he not have moved? How about hire a dog walker since you are gone more than 9 hours at a time and they keep fining you for leaving your dog that long. And is 9 hours a long time? I would think it should be 10. 8 hours to work 1 hour to get there and 1 to get back. IDK whats your alone time limit on your dog?

Anyway, I just keep seeing people post about how BSL caused him to kill himself and I think its far fetched to try and blame BSL's on this one... Whats your take?

Nick Santino Commits Suicide After Euthanizing Dog
Nick Santino, soap opera actor, commits suicide after putting pet dog to sleep - Celebrity Circuit - CBS News
Soap Actor Commits Suicide After Pup's 'forced' Euthanasia | Fox News)

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Something is not right about the whole story.....I think he had some deep underlying issues and that is why he ultimately killed himself. I did read though that the dog was turning aggressive supposedly. But Santino was blaming that on himself because he felt that the dog was feeding off his issues. Could he have moved...yes....could he have rehomed the dog....yes.....did he have to kill himself and PTS his dog???....NO! Hence the reason why I feel as though this dude had some serious mental issues.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sucks all around for everyone involved, I just don't like it being linked with BSL for some reason. Makes light of what people are going through on their own let alone such a hot topic issue being grouped in with it. Why no re-home instead of pts??!! Agree though, more to the story that we will ever know.

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
It does seem off to me... if he loved his dog that much why didn't he try hard to get it out of the situation? It could be possible that he had a mental instability that was turned on from the depression response.

As far as the dog being aggressive, people will label the simplest things as aggression. I don't have the link on hand but a trainer did a test on a dog that would be euthanized if determined aggressive. (she didn't know she was on camera) She said the dog was aggressive towards the stroking hand, yet on video it was licking it and excited. Man the behaviorist community jumped on her hard.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This news is inadmissible, we cannot leave this subject unpunished, our dogs would give its life by us. We must to help then right now, spreading in the places where we pruned this type of the news to be open eyes of the people which they ignore this big injustice that is happening in nowadays.

FIAPBT & IADCRO TRIBUTE TO NICK AND HIS PIT BULL ROCCO.

THE ACTOR NICK SANTINO SUICIDED BY HIS PIT BULL:

Nick Santino Facebook Site: Wall Photos | Facebook

Nick Santino Web Site: http://www

REST IN PEACE NICK AND HIS PIT BULL ROCCO. RIGHT NOW ALREADY BOTH ARE TOGETHER AGAIN AND FOR EVER. (R.I.P.)

What can I do for to help against this INJUSTICE?: INFORMACIÓN COMPLEMENTARIA DE IADCRO:

IADCRO METHOD: IADCRO METHOD

FIAPBT: FEDERACION INTERNACIONAL DEL AMERICAN PIT BULL TERRIER - Wall | Facebook - www.fiapbt.net
IADCRO: IADCRO www.iadcro.com

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
816 Posts
idk, i can understand to an extent...... sometimes when life isn;t all that great u hang on to things more than normally .... not my place to judge how much he needed that dog to keep going....but pretty sad. (i wont even think what i would do if i was in that situation)

·
Registered
140 Posts
read that in the ny post the other day..... theres gotta be more to the story if you ask me.... i don't understand why he didn't just move.

however the bsl needs to stop

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
idk, i can understand to an extent...... sometimes when life isn;t all that great u hang on to things more than normally .... not my place to judge how much he needed that dog to keep going....but pretty sad. (i wont even think what i would do if i was in that situation)
But they had allowed him to be grandfathered in. He was unlike many people who are forced to move. They decided to let him and his dog stay as long as he followed rules but not leaving it alone for more than 9 hours. Sorry I would hire a dog walker once a day if I had to be gone that long and it was a rule before I killed my pet.

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
From what I have read, yes, the dog was grandfathered in, but that didn't stop the reaction of people around him, the neighbors he lived with. It didn't stop his dog from having to be 100% perfect everyday, no normal dog behavior for that dog allowed.
Moving isn't always an option, finances come into play. An out of work actor may not have had that choice. He may have also felt very pressured if his dog wasn't being perfect. Putting the dog down may have seemed to him to be the only option, it may also have turned out, in his mind, to be one he couldn't ultimately deal with.
Putting a healthy dog down is hard, even if you are not that emotionally invested in the dog, even when you convince yourself about the greater good, even when you know it is the right choice. It still takes a toll on you. It's entirely possible for someone already depressed to not be able to take that.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
From what I have read, yes, the dog was grandfathered in, but that didn't stop the reaction of people around him, the neighbors he lived with. It didn't stop his dog from having to be 100% perfect everyday, no normal dog behavior for that dog allowed.
Moving isn't always an option, finances come into play. An out of work actor may not have had that choice. He may have also felt very pressured if his dog wasn't being perfect. Putting the dog down may have seemed to him to be the only option, it may also have turned out, in his mind, to be one he couldn't ultimately deal with.
Putting a healthy dog down is hard, even if you are not that emotionally invested in the dog, even when you convince yourself about the greater good, even when you know it is the right choice. It still takes a toll on you. It's entirely possible for someone already depressed to not be able to take that.
totally get that just saying he must have had some deep rooted issues to think the only way out was PTS his dog and then killing himself. Sucks all around. Personally I would not let others peoples opinions of my dog get to me. If I did I would not own the type I have is all I am saying. I don't really feel bad for the guy because it was his choice. I feel bad for the pup. I know I could not convince myself the greater good putting down a healthy dog instead of finding it or yourself a new situation is foreign to me. But I am not in his state of mind either. Sucks no one could help him, or the dog is all I am saying.

·
Registered
816 Posts
also let s not be completely oblivious to the fact that he was obviously mentally sick.... and while the dog may be the trigger that ended it all this persons outcome would possibly end the same way.... no one gets depressed about others... you get depressed about yourself... so lets also not put all this on the human/dog relationship as if it was the only facet of his life.

why yes I did go to school for psychology...why do u ask? lol

·
RateMyPitbull.com Moderator
4,389 Posts
Hope can be found in many different places, and so can hopelessness. It could be he really couldn't handle the choice he had made. That dog may have been the only thing he had on planet keeping him here. Once he put the dog down, why remain alive?

Or, he may have planned on killing himself all along. A lot of people don't tell others their plans. He may have euthanized the dog, and used the BSL as reasoning so that people would not be suspicious.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts