Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
LOLZ
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I used K9 advantix II and it worked to a certain point but she pretty much always still had some fleas. I treated my house as well and still fleas. I live in the Midwest and the past few years we've had very bad sand fleas. I also have an indoor cat who will need preventative aspell. I'm not sure what to use I'd like something that is very effective yet may have a lower price point? So please only post suggestions if you have used the product for a while and had great results. Also I'll be treating my yard this summer.

·
Gotta Love Them Red Dogs!
487 Posts
We use Sentinel Spectrum for Dogs 49-99 lbs for our 3 dogs;
it covers fleas and heartworm all in one chewable tablet.

You can buy flea/heartworm meds on this site without a prescription;
it ships from Australia and takes a few weeks but is WELL worth it.
I took my package to the vet and he said it is the SAME EXACT thing
that you can get here in the United States. :)
It helps being friends with your vet because you can find stuff like this out.

Petsofoz.com

·
Silver VIP Member
1,069 Posts
I use Trifexis, it's $20 per pill and Keira takes it every 30 days. It sterilizes the fleas as well as killing them, so they can't breed before they die. One week on it, and I didn't see a single flea that wasn't dead or dying (and I probably saw 3) all summer. It also covers intestinal worms and heart worms.

On a greener note, I have heard that tea tree oil helps too.

ETA-- it does require a vet prescription though, because your dog must be heart worm neg to take it.

·
Premium Member
11,010 Posts

·
I'm the blue dragon!
4,563 Posts
i use trifexis as well. vet prescribed and 6 month supply $119.

although he doesnt like to chew the tablet. lol

·
Registered
41 Posts
I use Trifexis as well, but was recently told it has had issues with dogs, I don't recall what they were, and I had already bought a 6 month supply of something else I just took my puppy off of it. Just a heads up, could be nothing. I will actually search now that it is back on my mind!

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
I don't like using any pesticides on my dogs , would you use the product on your self? doesn't seem safe to me but to each there own. The garlic works great for our dogs fleas , I also am lucky we have never even seen a tick up here so not sure if there is anything natural to help with those or not.

·
Premium Member
11,010 Posts
I don't like using any pesticides on my dogs , would you use the product on your self? doesn't seem safe to me but to each there own. The garlic works great for our dogs fleas , I also am lucky we have never even seen a tick up here so not sure if there is anything natural to help with those or not.
I have been looking for something natural for ticks as well! His new Heartworm/Flee combo, I don't want to put the advantix flea/tick since he is already covered. AND I don't him to wear a stupid stinky tick collar, lol. Lyme disease ticks can not be seen easily with the naked eye, so that's something to keep in mind too. I basically have forgone the tick meds since he is vaccinated for lyme disease and just check him close after we go outside. The sad thing is ticks only die when its a straight 20 days below freezing. It never got below freezing for 20 days this year, friends are already seeing ticks on their pups and kids. :( Not good for this summer I fear!

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
I have been looking for something natural for ticks as well! His new Heartworm/Flee combo, I don't want to put the advantix flea/tick since he is already covered. AND I don't him to wear a stupid stinky tick collar, lol. Lyme disease ticks can not be seen easily with the naked eye, so that's something to keep in mind too. I basically have forgone the tick meds since he is vaccinated for lyme disease and just check him close after we go outside. The sad thing is ticks only die when its a straight 20 days below freezing. It never got below freezing for 20 days this year, friends are already seeing ticks on their pups and kids. :( Not good for this summer I fear!
Good to know , I thought they were fairly big like fleas and you could see them. My vet gets us to vaccinate for lymes as well even though I never seen them he is convinced we have them lol, so I listen to him. but preventative we have never used for ticks nor has anyone I know here. If you find something natural though let me know Im all for that. We had such bad luck with advantix it just didnt work for us they always had fleas when we used that stuff, and my cat got really ill when we used a pesticide treatment similar to advantix on him . after our vet told us how they manufacture them and how there is no standards the companys have to perform too and no regulations on them it just doesnt sound safe to me.

·
Premium Member
11,010 Posts
Good to know , I thought they were fairly big like fleas and you could see them. My vet gets us to vaccinate for lymes as well even though I never seen them he is convinced we have them lol, so I listen to him. but preventative we have never used for ticks nor has anyone I know here. If you find something natural though let me know Im all for that. We had such bad luck with advantix it just didnt work for us they always had fleas when we used that stuff, and my cat got really ill when we used a pesticide treatment similar to advantix on him . after our vet told us how they manufacture them and how there is no standards the companys have to perform too and no regulations on them it just doesnt sound safe to me.
I hear you, makes me very nervous putting chemicals on, but then I realize the alternative is far worse. THEN i start thinking its probably the people who sell them working with the vets for a cut of the profit and might not be as big a danger we are lead to believe...

·
Registered
45 Posts
I use something called Advantage Multi.

100% effective in the prevention of heartworm
Kills adult fleas, treats flea infestations
Treats and controls common intestinal parasites: roundworms, hookworms, and whipworms

·
Registered
114 Posts
I don't like using a lot of stuff on my crew either. I give monthly heartworm preventative but as far as fleas and ticks go, I use frontline on an "as needed" basis.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Just looked this thread up because I was wondering the same thing. I use K9 Advantix II as well and really can't complain about it's efficiency. However, I really am not a fan of applying it to her coat because she HATES the feeling and tries to rub her back on the walls to get it off.

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
I've been using raw organic Apple Cider Vinegar as a dietary supplement. Then been using a neem oil spray which is 1 part 100% neem oil to 10 part water with a little Dawn dish liquid and tee tree oil in it. Works good for my dogs. I stopped giving the pesticides as they didn't work half the time anyways. The Natural or homemade stuff works just as good.

·
Forum Manager
4,908 Posts
I use trifexis.
Garlic is poison to dogs. We just had a patient come in to to clinic, flea invested but the owner swore up and down that the garlic worked. Obviously not... The dog was super sick also. Fleas are bad this yr here in the NW

·
I'm the blue dragon!
4,563 Posts
I use trifexis.
Garlic is poison to dogs. We just had a patient come in to to clinic, flea invested but the owner swore up and down that the garlic worked. Obviously not... The dog was super sick also. Fleas are bad this yr here in the NW
Hi Trevor! Odin looks awesome in his new collar, thanks again!

I also use Trifexis. U can buy a 6 month supply or single dose. My vet has a service where I can buy the single dose for $20 a month and they mail it to my house each month :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ive tried a few spot ons. The only one I find that works is Revolution. Since using it I have yet to see a flea on my animals. I use it once every 45-60 days. I pay $105 for 6 vials for my 60lb dog

·
Registered
137 Posts
I've been using raw organic Apple Cider Vinegar as a dietary supplement. Then been using a neem oil spray which is 1 part 100% neem oil to 10 part water with a little Dawn dish liquid and tee tree oil in it. Works good for my dogs. I stopped giving the pesticides as they didn't work half the time anyways. The Natural or homemade stuff works just as good.
How much vinegar, how often, and in what way do you administer it?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts