Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
SASSY MINX
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So Mr. Lex - Yes I give my dogs titles (don't ask)... Has turned into quite the Hudini (however it's spelt) & has me quite worried.

I recently moved Lex & Lil's crates from our California Living room to our bedroom because it's a very visual space to outsiders & caught some weirdos staring into the area at my dogs driving them BANANAS...

So that said - until now I've had NO issues with either dog trying to break out of their crates. The first time I put Lex in his crate immediately after moving it into my bedroom he broke out like it was no big deal - mind you I have him in a sturdy plastic crate... So I ended up turning the crate around & pushing the door side against the wall. He some how managed to run himself against the backside of the crate, spin it around & again break the cage door open. Which at first was no big deal because he was in my bedroom, which I was cool with since it's pretty safe. Because he was so well behaved MOMENTARILY I gave it a try to leave him out of the crate - bad idea because I guess even being past 2 years now he still has 'naughty times' even with his toys - tried leaving the TV on. No go, wasn't TOO destructive but now I have underwear & socks to replace SIGH. Now is he not only breaking out of his crate, he's also figured out how to open the bedroom door & help himself to the house. Which would not have been so bad had I been prepared for his masterfull skills of opening bedroom doors with normal door knobs & a door you have to PULL on to open.

Any suggestions to keep my little egghead from making another great escape. I fear just one slip up of me forgetting to leave something out or him getting into something he shouldn't. Or heaven forbid someone break in & the cops get called & my dog not be confined. GAH! I love his little butt & can't imagine what I'd do if something happened to either of my dogs...As sad as it is they're like my best friends/kids.

Meanwhile Ms. Lily is my little princess that sits perfectly quiet & content in her crate. Not one incident of her trying to escape.

Edit:
Whoops - forgot to put the, Any suggestions part? HAHA

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
Wow that sounds like a real headache! I have never had this problem before, so I'm sorry I don't have any advice for you! It is weird that he never tried to break out before you moved his crate... was it in front of a big window or something? Do you think he'd have less chance of breaking out of a wire style crate? It's what I use. But I did have a dog once that chewed his way out of it! So there is a big whole in the top.. lol Helena doesn't mind.

·
SASSY MINX
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow that sounds like a real headache! I have never had this problem before, so I'm sorry I don't have any advice for you! It is weird that he never tried to break out before you moved his crate... was it in front of a big window or something? Do you think he'd have less chance of breaking out of a wire style crate? It's what I use. But I did have a dog once that chewed his way out of it! So there is a big whole in the top.. lol Helena doesn't mind.
Lily doesn't mind either. She likes her crate just fine.

Before in the living room there were two big open windows & there are windows on either side of the front door as well. Which is why I moved the crates since that weirdo incident - Lily no likey but Lex didn't mind.

In the room at first I had him against the wall then moved it from the wall to the window thinking he'd like that better. But no dice!

·
Registered
536 Posts
I've seen dogs who can push against the door on a plastic crate just enough to pop the latch-bar thingy out of the holes in the plastic (it has just enough give for some dogs to do it), I'm assuming that's what he's doing? If so, I would suggest getting a longer metal rod (thicker, if it will fit through the holes), taking the current latch bars out, and sliding the metal rod through the holes from top to bottom. I used to do that with escape artists when I worked at a shelter, and when the metal rod is longer and sticks farther out of the holes in the plastic, they can't pop it out. I hope I explained that well enough... And as Shes Got Heart said, a metal crate might work better too, they're pretty tough.

·
SASSY MINX
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've seen dogs who can push against the door on a plastic crate just enough to pop the latch-bar thingy out of the holes in the plastic (it has just enough give for some dogs to do it), I'm assuming that's what he's doing? If so, I would suggest getting a longer metal rod (thicker, if it will fit through the holes), taking the current latch bars out, and sliding the metal rod through the holes from top to bottom. I used to do that with escape artists when I worked at a shelter, and when the metal rod is longer and sticks farther out of the holes in the plastic, they can't pop it out. I hope I explained that well enough... And as Shes Got Heart said, a metal crate might work better too, they're pretty tough.
The rod thing is an interesting idea. I'm not a fan of wire crates, because these dogs can be strong as steel if they want to be, he some how managed to bend the bars from the bottom up & was concerned about him getting caught. I can not find a wire crate that is sturdy enough for his brute strength & not worth wasting the money on. With Lily I'm not so concerned about using a wire crate... Lex on the other hand is a brute force of stubborness :rolleyes:

And what you said about him pushing on the bar with his shoulder is pretty much what he does.

I highly appreciate the advice though :)

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
I was using the wire crates until Bogart completely ate his way out of it not sure how he managed to break all the wired bars on the side door but he did. So I ended up getting the heavy duty plastic crates I haven't had any escapes yet (knock on wood). If your's are getting out of the plastic crate you might have to get one of the Aluminum Dog crates

Zinger - Zinger Deluxe 3000 Aluminum Dog Crate #16422

·
SASSY MINX
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was using the wire crates until Bogart completely ate his way out of it not sure how he managed to break all the wired bars on the side door but he did. So I ended up getting the heavy duty plastic crates I haven't had any escapes yet (knock on wood). If your's are getting out of the plastic crate you might have to get one of the Aluminum Dog crates

Zinger - Zinger Deluxe 3000 Aluminum Dog Crate #16422
Now THAT is a crate for bully's but HOLY SCHNIKES on the price... Will definitely look into it though ;). Thanks!!

Lex was the same way with wire - he LOATHED going in his crate & the frozen kong thing worked for awhile until he discovered his tough butt could break out. It's frustratng 'cause He only goes in it when I leave for errands & is completely indoors so it's not like he's in it for more than 2 hours a day at most >.<

But yeah, definitely something to keep an eye on lol

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Yeah you can find them cheaper you just have to look around. And yeah nothing is getting out of that!!! LOL A lot of the guys at the ADBA use these crates for their bulldogs ....

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Petedge.com sells a crate that is built like a jail cell with bars. Its not cheap, though. http://www.petedge.com/product/Home...ct-Empire-Cages/pc/194/c/310/sc/502/45512.uts

Also, normal plastic crates usually have a spot where you can slide a piece of rebar or something in front of the door. Its indicated "tamper resistant" or "tamper proof" or something like that. Might be a good temporary fix until you can come up with something more secure. I've seen people drill bigger holes above and below the door so they could slide an iron bar through.

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
LOL That dog looks miserable like he knows he is in jail LOL ... That's a nice crate yeah I have seen them a little under 300.00 But I don't think they are getting any lower than that. Good info lindsay! I think the aluminum crates are well worth the investment though especially in a case where you have a bulldog getting loose. Don't want any accidents happening.

·
SASSY MINX
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
LOL That dog looks miserable like he knows he is in jail LOL ... That's a nice crate yeah I have seen them a little under 300.00 But I don't think they are getting any lower than that. Good info lindsay! I think the aluminum crates are well worth the investment though especially in a case where you have a bulldog getting loose. Don't want any accidents happening.
LOL he does. LMAO the wheels crack me up for some reason. HAHA - I could just picture lex figuring out a way to wheel himself around into mischeif while I'm gone - joking of course. ;)

It is a Nice sturdy looking crate though - good info :)

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Sadie, one of the dogs here is in a crate like the jail cell that my ex welded together. Same basic design but without the wheels and with the door on the end rather than the side. That dog has an aluminum crate for travel, but you can tell it wouldn't stand up to a concentrated assault. He has managed to bend everywhere he can get his mouth out (and broken most of his teeth in the process, LOL).

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
OMG sounds like Ava she broke 2 teeth in the wire kennel chewing the door. These dogs are something else. LOL I am saving up for Jail Cells LOL

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
This thread should be a sticky. I have heard a lot of people talk about dogs being uncontainable. I didn't even know these jail cell crates existed! But I've never had to do any research into them.

·
Premium Member
5,100 Posts
Maybe Lex is just peeved that you took away his window view *shrugs*.

·
SASSY MINX
3,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Petedge.com sells a crate that is built like a jail cell with bars. Its not cheap, though. ProSelect Empire Cages | PetEdge.com

Also, normal plastic crates usually have a spot where you can slide a piece of rebar or something in front of the door. Its indicated "tamper resistant" or "tamper proof" or something like that. Might be a good temporary fix until you can come up with something more secure. I've seen people drill bigger holes above and below the door so they could slide an iron bar through.
*Update*
Tried the rebar idea, bought a few long pieces of steel at home depot to fit through the extra holes & is working like a charm so far ;)

Thanks for the idea!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts