Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just brought Bowser into our home, and were upset to find he'd peed on our garbage can and pooped in the living room while we were sleeping.

We'd been a little worried, because no matter how many walks we took him on he didn't seem to want to poop outside, and were getting worried something was wrong. He's 6 years old, and according to his previous owners, this had never been a problem before.

Is this just him adjusting, or should I be worried?

·
Super Moderator
4,654 Posts
My mom had a Dachshund once that wouldn't go potty on leash. Did he have a yard at his last home?

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
Well you have not had him very long right? I would feed him no later than 5:30pm if you feed in him the evening. That way when you take him out for the last time before bed he will have gone to the bathroom. The peeing could be he is marking his new home. Has he peed anyplace else? If not then you might want to take up the water around 8:00 pm so that he empties his bladder before bed time too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He did have a yard in his last home. I'll have to double-check with the owners and make sure he's gone to the bathroom on leash.

Thank you for the suggestions! I'll try feeding him earlier and taking up the water in the evening and see how it goes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I talked to the owner, and they pretty much said they didn't really ever take him out on a leash because they had a fenced in backyard, so apparently he's not really used to the leash at all. Explains a lot! I'm wondering if i'm going to just have to increase his walks until he gets used to it enough to feel comfortable using the bathroom.

I'm a little wary of crate training, as my other dog has seperation anxiety, and I don't know how he'd react. And if I crated one, would I have to crate them both? Plus my wife is here 24/7, so I don't want it to seem like a punishment.

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
A crate used reffectively is not a punishment. All of my dogs enjoy their crates. I make sure they all get plenty of time spent with them and then when I want some time to do what I need to I put them in their crates. I also leave the doors open on two of the crates and my dogs will go in there and sleep.

No you do not have to crate both dogs. Mikado was never crated he had BAD SA and I hated cleaning the slobber...lol.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts