By Amber Monks, Comox Valley EchoNovember 30, 2010
For all of you oh so knowledgeable people out there that are hell bent on believing that "Pitbulls" are stronger, crazier and more designed to kill than any other known breed of dog should maybe consider the proven, researched, documented FACTS that:
1) Dogs with the strongest jaws and bite force out there:
1.Mastiff at a whopping 556 PSI
2. Rottweiler at 328 PSI
3. German Shepard at 238 PSI and yes your most powerful, most feared, most maligned breed. the Pitbull coming in last of the tested breeds at 235 PSI (less than HALF the power of a Mastiffs jaw).
2) Pitbulls have "lock jaw". FALSE. Lock jaw otherwise medically known as tetanus, a medical condition characterized by a prolonged contraction of skeletal muscle fibers caused by infection, IS NOT a "breed trait" of a pitbull.
3) The media indulged myths that pitbulls attack and kill more than any other known breed.
A study on fatal dog attacks in Canada, 1990-2007, completed by the Veterinary Medical Association found that the American Staffordshire terrier (AKA Pitbull) caused 1 fatality in 28 found fatalities (Published June 2008 Canadian Veterinary Journal).
The dogs documented to cause the most fatal attacks in all of Canada are Sled Dogs, followed by mixed breed dogs.
4) Media coverage on the subject is biased; reporters choose to print Pitbull attacks over any other breed to create hysteria and maintain solid headlines, animal organizations have been informed by reporters to not contact them unless a pitbull is involved.
Take even just 2 examples from June 2006 (documented by the National Canine Research Council):
-- Golden Retriever mauls three year old Virginia boy requiring over 300 stitches and hospitalization and will require additional surgeries to "functionally repair muscles, nerves and work on scars". This incident was reported in only the two local Virginia newspapers.
-- An 11-year-old girl was bitten in the leg and received not life-threatening injuries, when she was attacked by two Pit bulls in California.
This incident was Reported in over 91 National and International newspapers. Forbes, Fox News, along with the Washington Post, LA Times, Chicago Tribune and dozens of other major news organizations headlined this "Pit Bull Attack".
Not only is the media biased but the public is too; if your neighbor's Lab took a chunk out of your kid you can bet you wouldn't run to the newspaper with it ... but if that Lab was a Pitbull you can guarantee the newspaper would be all over it.
People's personal opinions are based on nothing other than what they have heard in the news or what a friend of a friend has told them of their own personal experiences and are not the facts.
People used to burn "witches" at the stake based on nothing, other than it was acceptable to think that way at that time because a majority of people believed it to be true (look how well majorities can distribute mass hysteria!!).
People are responsible for the actions of their pets; if a person has no control over their dog bad things will happen but I would rather have a Pitbull on my arm then a Mastiff at 556 PSI.
Do some research on breeds, would you not prefer to have a pitbull that was bred and designed to fight another dog versus a breed that has be bred and designed to attack people.
Yes there are many breeds of dogs that were originally bred to attack humans!
And also...Pitbulls breed standard is 18-22 inches at the shoulder and 30-60 lbs; if you see a 80-100 lb dog that stands up to their owner's hip...it's NOT a Pitbull.
Do some more breed research!