Go Pitbull Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So since I got my pup she has woken me up between mid-night and the wee "excuse the pun" :) hours of the morning to go out and do her thing.

I thought as time passed she would get out of it and might just have a tiny bladder but it seems like she wont stop any time soon..

So i'd like to know if this is normal and if not how to get her out of the habbit.

Dont get me wrong, I would rather have her wake me up than to do it inside, though I would also also like to get a bit of :sleep:

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
I would have her stay in a crate at night.Then she'll have no choice but to hold it all night.She's definitely old enough to where she shouldn't have any problems holding it all night unless she has like a uti or something.
Then when she's used to holding it all night you can take her back out of the crate at night if you want.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I agree. I kept Kandi in the crate the first two weeks that I had her. She now sleeps in the room with me at 4 months and doesn't get up to go potty until my son wakes up.

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
First question I have to ask is, when is the latest you allow her to drink water or eat food, or is it offered freely 24/7? Also, when is the last time you take her out at night prior to bedtime?

If you have her on a schedule and you only allow her food/water up until a certain time and you take her out one last time before bed (like an hour or so after her last meal) then this should help her not have to go in the middle of the night. But I would still check on the urinary tract and bladder as well.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Currently still free feeding her and she drinks water when ever she wants, though might start to change that around a bit now that she is getting older.

Admittedly she does gobble down some water when I let her our just before bed time, though so does my JRT and he is fine though out the night. Sure changing this would help out a lot.

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
Yes, this would help tremendously. If you normally go to bed about 10 or 1030pm, then the last time she should have any water/food is around 830 or 9pm (I try to cut it off for my pup an hour before bed time, so that 1/2 an hour before I'm ready to go to bed, I can take him out and he can do his thing and sleep through the night. My boy is 6 months old now, so it's working out just fine. I'm guessing your JRT is a bit older than your pup, right!? If so, that would be why he can hold it longer than she does.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
She should be sleeping in a crate at night till she is old enough to be trusted. You also should be feeding twice a day for many reasons. Here is a thread on how to start that.
http://www.gopitbull.com/health-nutrition/39218-feeding-guidelines.html

also for crate training
http://www.gopitbull.com/obedience-training/29669-how-crate-train.html

You pup can hold it through the night, the reason she wakes you up is out of routine. If she is crated and whine you just let her whine till you are ready to wake and let her out. If she has an accident she will have to wait till morning and this is how you keep them from messing in the crate and learning to hold it.

At 16 weeks puppies should be able to sleep through the night.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We lock our bedroom bedroom door at night so no need to crate her at night time.

Last night she tried to wake me up by nudging me, I just gave her a rub and said go sleep.

She nudged me one or two more times but I just ignored her. Anyways she went back to sleep and that was that :)

Think its more routine that she is use to but im sure she will get over it soon. Thanks for all the advice :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts