Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1890-1910: The Golden Years~ (L.Colby)

Dogs were expected to take care themselves. If it was jumped by another dog in the street, it was expected to "lick it." A dog, however was not expected to be a bully--starting trouble int he street for no reason. And because dogs did run the streets, they were culled for unwarranted aggression toward humans. Common sense has certainly more prevalent than now, and a dog would be excused for biting a human who was ill-treating it. But a dog that indiscriminately bit humans was sure to end up dead.
Into this era trotted the "Pit Bull" at his master's heels. He definitely had a following with fighters, but he was also a darling of soldiers, firemen, loggers, and others who enjoyed his rough and tumble good looks and bravado. Dog shows were just becoming popular and the new concept of breeding dogs to a physical standard of appearance rather than for useful purposes was just beginning to have a negative effect on the intelligence and soundness of the working and sporting breeds. The white Bull Terrier, strictly a show breed, was also gaining popularity. It was considered very fashionable indeed for young gentlemen to be seen about town with either a fighting cock under his arm or a Pit Bull at his heels. The more genteel of the men kept the fashionable show Bull Terrier while as usual, the Pit Bull(dog) found more favor with the true fancier and the working man. ----
----
In England the Pit Bull was still unregistered, and was still known by a variety of names including Staffordshire Bulldog, Staffordshire Terrier, Pit Bull and Pit Bull Terrier. The dog were much longer in the leg and lighter in the body than the current Staffordshire in the United Kingdom, and they were still being imported by people like J.P. Colby adn bred into American lines. A man named J.Edwards, a retired bridge builder living in Nashua, New Hampshire was presented with a dog and a bitch, Edward's Galtie and Edward's Gas, which a financier for the New York firm he had worked for had purchased while on the trip to Ireland. A pup from these two, also named Galtie, was purchased by Henry Colligan of Boston. Colligan was a great friend of J.P.s and set great store by his Galtie dog. J.P. was also impressed by the dog, and bred to him the first outcross in the Colby strain since it was set some 20 years earlier. (NOTE: Cobly's Galtie, 1912 died 1921... so twenty years before 1912 would be 1890)

The Term "Pit Bull Terrier" was often erroneously applied to the show Bull Terrier.

inserts from: Colby's Book of the American Pit Bull Terrier; the late Louis B. Colby

Its very important to know that Englands dangerous dog act destroyed thousands of Pit Bulls of all names and ventures. The SBT that is there today is as close to the APBT as the AST if not closer however only the APBT has been bred to to be true through time so thus the Nanny Dog of the 1800-1900s was the "Pit Bull" (remember Pit Bull was the recognition under the UKC when won two bouts and were registered with the UKC as the American Pit Bull Terrier). Many people are under the misconception it is the SBT however the SBT isn't the dog it was back then when it was also the APBT as soon as it won a UKC bout or two. The APBT is still the same dog. Colby touches on this and compares pictures from 1890-1900s to pictures of traditional APBTs today. So we see breeding for show loses characteristics that were part of the natural pit selection. Its important to note working dogs bred for purpose maintains all the genetics from 200 yrs ago and earlier. People don't realize the SBT is the TOY version of the APBT. So all that aside that it has been covered, no matter your strain or flavor...................
Post your Nanny Dog stories and pics~

·
Rather be hunting/fishing
401 Posts
Being newer to these dogs than some, only owned a couple of of "pit" types in my life, I dont really have any stories for them. still learning to call the first one an Am Bully (being he was RE bloodline, had papers and all) and the other American shelter dogs. BUT as far as Nanny dog is concerned.

Here is my favorite pic with my daughter and dog

·
APBT!
9,594 Posts
That's a great pic Buddy! I love to see these dogs in their natural place (cuddled up with children).

Ices giving Trinity kisses

Trinity and Roller's introduction!

My oldest daughter, Chenoá with a couple fosters when she was Trinity's age

At my baby shower when I was pregnant with Aiyana (now 7 yrs old), Chenoá laying with Zeus, a pup off the litter I bred out of my boy Bruce. (sorry it's so small)

I couldn't share this one before, but I found a way to fix it, so here ya go...

Trinity and Roller at Cherokee Lake last summer

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
1890-1910: The Golden Years~ (L.Colby)

Dogs were expected to take care themselves. If it was jumped by another dog in the street, it was expected to "lick it." A dog, however was not expected to be a bully--starting trouble int he street for no reason. And because dogs did run the streets, they were culled for unwarranted aggression toward humans. Common sense has certainly more prevalent than now, and a dog would be excused for biting a human who was ill-treating it. But a dog that indiscriminately bit humans was sure to end up dead.
Into this era trotted the "Pit Bull" at his master's heels. He definitely had a following with fighters, but he was also a darling of soldiers, firemen, loggers, and others who enjoyed his rough and tumble good looks and bravado. Dog shows were just becoming popular and the new concept of breeding dogs to a physical standard of appearance rather than for useful purposes was just beginning to have a negative effect on the intelligence and soundness of the working and sporting breeds. The white Bull Terrier, strictly a show breed, was also gaining popularity. It was considered very fashionable indeed for young gentlemen to be seen about town with either a fighting cock under his arm or a Pit Bull at his heels. The more genteel of the men kept the fashionable show Bull Terrier while as usual, the Pit Bull(dog) found more favor with the true fancier and the working man. ----
----
In England the Pit Bull was still unregistered, and was still known by a variety of names including Staffordshire Bulldog, Staffordshire Terrier, Pit Bull and Pit Bull Terrier. The dog were much longer in the leg and lighter in the body than the current Staffordshire in the United Kingdom, and they were still being imported by people like J.P. Colby adn bred into American lines. A man named J.Edwards, a retired bridge builder living in Nashua, New Hampshire was presented with a dog and a bitch, Edward's Galtie and Edward's Gas, which a financier for the New York firm he had worked for had purchased while on the trip to Ireland. A pup from these two, also named Galtie, was purchased by Henry Colligan of Boston. Colligan was a great friend of J.P.s and set great store by his Galtie dog. J.P. was also impressed by the dog, and bred to him the first outcross in the Colby strain since it was set some 20 years earlier. (NOTE: Cobly's Galtie, 1912 died 1921... so twenty years before 1912 would be 1890)

The Term "Pit Bull Terrier" was often erroneously applied to the show Bull Terrier.

inserts from: Colby's Book of the American Pit Bull Terrier; the late Louis B. Colby

Post your Nanny Dog stories and pics~
is that why you can see show bull terrier in books? ive read books that differentiated the bull terrier by function, like pit Bull Terrier and show Bull Terrier

·
K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
is that why you can see show bull terrier in books? ive read books that differentiated the bull terrier by function, like pit Bull Terrier and show Bull Terrier
this is from colbys book, and I've read the older one published in 1936. The early dogs could be snipey with those errect ears, both dogs show APBTs that resembled Bull Terriers.. All the stuff I've read point that the bull terrier is a novice a show breed more for propaganda than anything to get people to forget the game bull terrier as advertised by Colby for example. Then there is the Bull Terrier which was often called pit bull terrier to steal the glory of the traditional dogs still alive and well.. propaganda... See how confusing that is to people who don't understand pedigrees and genetics. Some bull terriers are good workers but only some vs most of the APBT stock; as long as we preserve and protect the breed.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Here's a link to some footage of Pete, the Little Rascals dog. Too bad old 'rascals ' episodes don't get aired anymore, he was a very positive image of ' pit bulls'...and an example of how perceptions change...we've gone from portraying pit bulls as friendly and lovable appropriate to interact with children to animals to be feared.

Pete The Pup In Our Gang Helping The Kids (Little Rascals) | Celebrity Net Worth

1 - 7 of 7 Posts