Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to know every ones opinion on this subject, because there always seems to be different point of views and I'd like to know what the facts are if there is any. When I ask neutral knowledgable people in the subject of dogs about what breed is nick named the "Nanny dog" I usually get 1st The Newfoundland 2nd SBT and 3d APBT as answers. I looked it up from wiki to dogbreed info.. I feel this might be pretty accurate, but at the same time I feel there almost isn't a right or wrong answer to this question, not sure if the SBT or The Newfoundland was given this nick name first. What do you guys think? Or how do you guys feel about the subject?

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
I think it's a Staffie nickname, just sounds like a nickname that would be developed over in the UK. But this is a lazy answer. :p

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was doing some reading, and it seems there almost isn't a specific time when this nickname was given.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
Yep.. To my understanding some did call the Newfoundland a nanny dog however it never really was a set saying referring to the breed as it was for the SBT.. The American Pit Bull Terrier was referred to as America's dog by many, including within that the AST back when the AST wasn't what most know as today.. At least, not as defined.

Some considered the AST as part of the nanny dog as well but short lived, today looking back many that fight for the breed declare "Pit Bulls" of last century to be grouped as one under the term Nanny, just part of the misunderstanding and lack of real information being passed on again and again.

·
K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,363 Posts
The first Nanny dog in the USA was the Game Bull Terrier, Game Pit Bull Terrier, Game Pit Bulldog all one dog of course todays APBT... The precurser to the APBT was the English dogs that were NOT staffs (that is a political renaming the dog from the providence of which they were dominant: Staffordshire).. They were still bulldog or bull terrier all from one source.. First registered in 1935 as Staffordshires, while the UKC had been pushing the APBT already for some time now and a good portion came from England and Ireland.

The Game Pit Bulldog/BullTerrier is the Nanny Dog......... always was always will be...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.