Go Pitbull Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Often times you see attacks by various breeds and all that they cover is breed, or possible breed, and the attack itself. I always wit a wonder why?? What has been done to this animal to make it behave that way. I know animals are the majority of the time not just aggressive with out cause.

I thought this was a good article written about an attack. I did not include the attack, but the explanation itself.

The Article

Most news outlets covering this story have focused on just these facts - two vicious pit bulls attacked and killed. Leaving out the backstory.

One outlet, however, has shared the rest of the story. Information that explains much of what happened and information that people in positions of authority should take serious note of.

According to the Union County Weekly, the dogs involved in the attack were well known in the neighborhood. The female, a dog named Daisy, was so emaciated that she looked like she shouldn't be alive.

Several people reported seeing both dogs roaming the streets, unsupervised and searching for food. One person noted that the female looked as if she had recently had pups and that a tether was attached to her collar - in other words, she had been bred, left on a tie-out and from the looks of her body - starved.

Others reported that the dogs were "usually secured on a chain" but occassionally left out to roam. One neighbor had contacted animal control to let them know that the dogs were being neglected and that they should be removed from the owner's home. They were told that "animal control" could do nothing".

The dog's owner? A man named Michael Gordan. The 23 yr-old man had been released from prison last May after serving 10 months on felony charges including breaking and entering.

The basic components for a dangerous dog situation are all here. Irresponsible dog ownership by a negligent owner.

This is where the people in positions of authority need to pay attention. Animal abuse and negligence needs to be taken seriously. It's more than "just a dog" - by ignoring the suffering of dogs you are potentially contributing to a tragic situation such as that which happened to the innocent 5 yr-old girl last Wednesday.

Dogs that are starved, abused, and ignored can become aggessive and unstable. Slaps on the wrist or turning away from the problem gives that much more time that the dog will suffer and more opportunities for an attack situation to take place.

People fighting for Breed Specific Legislation - read this article again and read it carefully. You will find all of the elements that people against Breed Specific Legislation keep trying to make you understand.

It's about the owners, it is not about bad dogs. Look at who owns the majority of the dogs that are involved in bite situations. They are horrible owners - negligent, abusive, uncaring - they should not own dogs - period.

If you "want" a dog, only to stick him on the end of a chain in a backyard, you don't really "want" a dog. Put an old car in your yard instead. Something that isn't alive - breathing, feeling, suffering.

There are so many victims in this sad situation.

Last but not least, the 2 dogs involved in the attack - undoubtedly euthanized for the horrible incident. Two dogs that "snapped" after enduring severe neglect - a sad, culmination of the bad ownership they experienced for too long.

For those individuals that work tirelessly to fight breed specific legislation, please forward this on to those people that you are trying to explain your standpoint to.

Pit bulls are vilified in society because so many of them are owned by pathetic excuses for owners. Pit bulls are villified in society because so many news outlets don't bother sharing the backstory to the "attack" situation.

Penny Eims

* Dog News Examiner

Reactions: aimee235

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
ahhh Aimee you beat me to it, great post Holly :D

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have been out of the loop- which story was this?
I am trying to get back to the message boards- so bear with me..
Now after reading this article, I do agree that
It's about the owners, it is not about bad dogs. Look at who owns the majority of the dogs that are involved in bite situations. They are horrible owners - negligent, abusive, uncaring - they should not own dogs - period
But
I just have to disagree with this comment:
If you "want" a dog, only to stick him on the end of a chain in a backyard, you don't really "want" a dog. Put an old car in your yard instead. Something that isn't alive - breathing, feeling, suffering.
When people hear about a dog being chained up what is the first thing that pops in people's head? The media has done its job so well. :mad: ... Even if a dog is lean the media will say its a skinny starving dog. Or even a female that just had puppies we all know she will be underweight.
now I am not saying that this is the case what I am trying to say is that there is so much more behind the "attacks" and people will believe anything the media puts out. ha just like if the animal control will say this dog is a pit bull,and that is enough for EVERYONE to believe that it is a pit bull attack.-
it just gets so aggravating, and with the irresponsible owners it just doesn't help... grrrrrrr

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But
I just have to disagree with this comment:

When people hear about a dog being chained up what is the first thing that pops in people's head? The media has done its job so well. :mad: ... Even if a dog is lean the media will say its a skinny starving dog. Or even a female that just had puppies we all know she will be underweight.
now I am not saying that this is the case what I am trying to say is that there is so much more behind the "attacks" and people will believe anything the media puts out. ha just like if the animal control will say this dog is a pit bull,and that is enough for EVERYONE to believe that it is a pit bull attack.-
it just gets so aggravating, and with the irresponsible owners it just doesn't help... grrrrrrr
Chaining image has been ruined by improper usage of chains, just like the APBT's image has been ruined by improper use. Many people do ruin good dogs by tossing them out back on a chain and thats it for them. I am not at all against chaining. I have and do chain dogs.

I just think it is great to see a little bit of why a dog may have felt the need to attack and not just "OMG A PITBULL ATTACK"

This is also not what the main newspaper wrote but a background story to an attack.

I did not list the attack and it is not on this forum as we are trying not to have those kinds of things posted here.

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
Chaining image has been ruined by improper usage of chains, just like the APBT's image has been ruined by improper use. Many people do ruin good dogs by tossing them out back on a chain and thats it for them. I am not at all against chaining. I have and do chain dogs.

I just think it is great to see a little bit of why a dog may have felt the need to attack and not just "OMG A PITBULL ATTACK"

This is also not what the main newspaper wrote but a background story to an attack.

I did not list the attack and it is not on this forum as we are trying not to have those kinds of things posted here.
Is this the story involving the little girl who was attacked by 2 dogs and died? That was sad; however, keeping stories like that off the site isn't going to make them go away. When a dog, whether it be pit bull or another breed, attacks it is almost always due to irresponsible ownership. As bad as they are I do blog about them because people need to understand that if not for the irresponsible owner the dog or dogs would not have been put in a situation where they reacted like that.

Anyway, good article and it does make you wonder what was done to those dogs to make them do that. Very sad.

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
keeping stories like that off the site isn't going to make them go away.
No its not going to make them go away, but its Dave decision to not have them here.

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
:goodpost::goodpost::goodpost: I totally appreciate that article Holly! :clap::clap::clap: for the author and for you, as well, for sharing it with us!!

I completely understand chaining a dog, if the dog is still treated as a family member. If you tie the dog up and leave it outside to fight against the elements, fend for itself, never show it any attention aside from throwing some left overs out to it.. then no, I don't agree with that. Of course, my dogs have always been house dogs, and the ones I did have to tie out, were done so when necessary and still made to feel like part of the family with daily attention and walks, car rides, etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts