Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My father hated my having a Pit Bull, he was worried and for a while called me every day to make sure I wan not eaten in my sleep. semi-seriously, lol. He has always feared them. I treid getting one when I was 15, and I know if it was a lab my folks would not have made me get rid of her. My folks live in Florida and over the last 2 years have stayed with me on occasion when visiting and of course fell in love with him. Now I hear stories from my mom and friends about how he has been saying so many great things about Pit Bulls and how great Gargamel is. He has made me so proud that he has opened up his mind and realized its the owner, not the breed. He has also been telling people about it being the owner and not the breed.

I also have tons of friends who love Gargamel. They know he could be DA depending on the dog, they know he is GREAT with kids and babies and adults and whoever he meets. They say he say an ambassador for the breed, blah blah blah, you know great things you love to hear about you fur baby. My sadness is when I ask them how they feel about Pit Bull's in general now that they have loved and met Gargamel and listened to me and my preaching about DA and Dog Parks. Almost every one, including my father, tell me its only MY dog that so great. That MY pit Bull is the 1% that are a "great" dog and that its the owner, not the breed, but no one owns a Pit Bull for love, they have said I am the abnormality.

Don't get me wrong, I am glad they like Gargamel and think so highly of them. I understand they will not run in fear but might meet another Pit since he is so great. But seriously, how can they not see that my dog is the normal temperment of this bred??? Why do they think Gargamel is the rarity instead of the dogs on the news and in the newspapers. Why do they think I am the only good owner of a Pit Bull. It infuriates me how they can appear so non-judgmental and then follow up with those statements. I will take what I can get, but its a shame how they are still perceived. UGH ok, sorry and thanks for listening.

Reactions: Lex's Guardian

·
Registered
195 Posts
age old battle between ignorance and knowledge. Just keep doing what you do with your pup and dont worry about the nay-sayers. IM pretty sure in 10 years their will be another breed of baby eater that takes over the media's attention

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
haha will do. I wonder what it will be, poor breed, lol. Just wish people thought about how weird it would be that mine would be an exception to the rule. Common sense gets you far, lol, it amazes me when it gets left behind.

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
age old battle between ignorance and knowledge. Just keep doing what you do with your pup and dont worry about the nay-sayers. IM pretty sure in 10 years their will be another breed of baby eater that takes over the media's attention
I agree that this type of stuff goes in cycles, but I do believe the pit bull will always "win" this title by popular vote from here on out:(

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
My mom is the same way about Helena. She has never liked the breed. But "helena" is a rare exception to her.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
It is and always will be the owners and not the breed. We as owners who know, love, and understand them will always see that. It has been proven that when the attacks happen it is usually in low income areas that have little to no education on the breed, are not socialized properly or well taken care of. They are owned for pure status and not for the love of the breed. We see it here Ames.....how many times have you seen some dude walking down the street holding a big chain walking a big pit. Its sad. Like your parents mine have also overcome the fears of how the media portrays them. I have a two family with them and occupy the first floor. My mom takes her upstairs with her to her house and for walks. My dad adores her and always says how great of a dog she is. Bella has changed there negative attitude towards them. Now when we hear "pit bull" attack on the news my parents always say........must be another irresponsible owner not training or treating there dog right ;)

·
Registered
411 Posts
But seriously, how can they not see that my dog is the normal temperment of this bred??? Why do they think Gargamel is the rarity instead of the dogs on the news and in the newspapers. Why do they think I am the only good owner of a Pit Bull. It infuriates me how they can appear so non-judgmental and then follow up with those statements. I will take what I can get, but its a shame how they are still perceived.
Cause that's how people are. It's really, really difficult for people to get past their pre-conceived notions, especially if it's "fear based".

I'm a white woman who was raised in a multi-racial family and have bi-racial sons.
I can't tell you how many racist white people I've had to work with through the years who liked me but feared my family members, then got accustomed to my family members and found that they liked them too - but were unable to ultimately make the leap that their preconceptions and prejudices were unfounded. Just like what you're saying about Gargamel, they chose to think of my family members as "exceptions" and continued to be fearful and resentful of black and brown people in general cause they imagined them being the gang bangers, welfare cheats, crack heads etc that they saw on TV.

It's stupid, it's frustrating and it's based in ignorance but it's also apparently very difficult to let go.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Cause that's how people are. It's really, really difficult for people to get past their pre-conceived notions, especially if it's "fear based".

I'm a white woman who was raised in a multi-racial family and have bi-racial sons.
I can't tell you how many racist white people I've had to work with through the years who liked me but feared my family members, then got accustomed to my family members and found that they liked them too - but were unable to ultimately make the leap that their preconceptions and prejudices were unfounded. Just like what you're saying about Gargamel, they chose to think of my family members as "exceptions" and continued to be fearful and resentful of black and brown people in general cause they imagined them being the gang bangers, welfare cheats, crack heads etc that they saw on TV.

It's stupid, it's frustrating and it's based in ignorance but it's also apparently very difficult to let go.
:goodpost: so true! I'm a white girl with a brown child and I totally understand what you are saying :)

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so true!! But its hard when there is proof right in front of their faces, lol.

Thats great about your folks bella, at least they get that you are not the only good owner out there, lol.

I have faith they will come around in time, and we will still be here with our great dogs. I am just glad there are more and more people being responsible to help spread the word :)

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
The APBT will always have a certain reputation that will be impossible to shed totally. The characteristics that our breed shares like strength, power, intelligence, tenacity and confidence strikes fear in the general population, whether we like it or not. Throw in their history of fighting/DA and you can see the wheels turning in alot of people's heads. Hell, it's what draws us to them, but it's not for everyone, which I for one like. The day this breed gets too popular and excepted is the day the APBT loses its identity. I personally believe this is going on right now. Too many hands involved and too may breedings equates to trouble, and we all know that this breed is too dynamic for every yahoo to experiment with. The shelters are full due to these careless actions while the BSL is licking its chops looking for pit bulls and those that look the part. It's a shame. As much as we want everyone to welcome the APBT with open arms, it just isn't going to happen and that's OK. We love them while others hate them, and life goes on. We all wish for changes, but it is what it is. Sorry to ramble on:)

·
Registered
225 Posts
Some one said it ( for me) right now 'Pit Bulls' have the public attention, and there's a lot of them ( in NY if you look at the shelters, most dogs seem to be pits/mixes) and they've been adopted by some who people are generally afraid of if they don't have personal knowledge (urban, hip hop culture kids).
When I was a pup, people around me made a fuss about 'police dogs' ( GSD's, my grandfather had a white GSD named Toughy, who people were terrified of and assumed was vicious, his name didn't help), then Dobermans, and Rotti's. I think when the fad passes a bit and there are fewer Bullies, their rep will improve.
I haven't heard anyone rail about vicious Dobermans for a while.

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
I get the same thing with Vendetta that is where it is my job to do more educational preaching about the breed and all the good qualities they have. Someday those people will come around and realize that 99% of the APBT are just like our dogs.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I found in the past, other brreds have had the public uproar also (rotts & dobbies) but it seems to really stick with the pits. The one thing that the pit has to deal with more then other breeds is that tough guy jackasses love pits. I live on the edge of philadelphia, and you get these guys that have to have the biggest pit or mix and they want them mean as hell cause they think it's cool. That is what the people in our area tend to think of when they hear of an APBT. Belive it or not the ASPCA in Delco is doing alot to remeady this. They had a pit awareness day, classes on owning a pit and "St. Pitty's day weekend" that was like a small fair and $50.00 fee to adopt a pit or a mix.

·
SASSY MINX
3,473 Posts
I think what your parents mean is not everyone raises their pitbull like you do. 1% is a bit extreme but I think I get where they are coming from just the way they worded themselves came off wrong.

But I do agree with what they're saying though I think 40% would be a little more accurate than 1%

·
Registered
546 Posts
My mom is sort of like that (re OP) - she thinks Ruby is extra special and stellar and different that all of those other 'pit bulls'. I don't push it with her but each chance I get I point out that Ruby has a true-to-breed personality and that they are supposed to be happy and confident like she is......

1 - 15 of 15 Posts