Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Adopted Cerena in August last year. She has been great with people and also my little boston terrier and even with my cat. But I took my girl to the groomer for a bath and nail trim and she was very upset (growling barking) with the two mastiff's in the waiting area. I probably shouldn't have been surprised but I was. She took so well to our dog and cat when we brought her home. Anyway, the groomer whisked her off. She was fine with him and was wonderful with the staff but how should I handle it when I go somewhere like this with her? We are currently working on commands. So she isn't perfect and often easily distracted.

What do you do when you go to the vet or groomer and you know they will be in a waiting room with other dogs?

How do you all handle this?

·
my crazy little mutt pack
3,272 Posts
leave it! biggest command you can have for some of these guys, i have a write up on it som ewhere i will look for it for you

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
DA is a part of this breed even if she gets along with your other dogs. Please watch your dog with the Boston and never leave them alone when you leave then house. I have a Boston too and I am very careful around the APBT's. you should put your dog on a correction collar and when she even thinks of acting up pop the leash hard enough to make her stop that behavior. You can even say leave it when you pop her so she will learn that is not allowed. She does not have to like other dogs but should ignore them when you are in public. If you have her on a slip chain and if she is choking then you need to use a proper fitting prong collar.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have been working on the regular commands, like sit, wait, stay and down. I forgot all about leave it! DUH! Started today and she got it within minutes. Will continue to work on it. Thanks for the reminder.

I do have a pinch collar and use it only on walks and when I go out with her.

I never allow the two dogs together alone. I crate both of them when I'm not at home. I'm home almost everyday with my grandson and I keep a very close eye on everyone, two legs and four! :)

Thanks for the reminder and I'd still love to read the writing on Leave it if you find it to post.

·
my crazy little mutt pack
3,272 Posts
ok i looked forever coundn't find it but i will continue my search ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Teach the "leave it" command.... but like stated, this breed is known to be dog aggressive. It isn't a fault, but a trait of the breed. Read up on dog aggression and how to manage it, however, realize that no matter how much you try, you will never train it out of the dog, and it cannot be "loved" out, it can only be managed. I don't take mine to the groomers, I do that myself, but with my dogs, I go into the vets office and access the waiting room before I go in. With my dogs that have the highest prey drive, if a cat is in the waiting room, they stay in the car until the vet is ready to take them back to the room. Same goes with the dog aggressive dogs. Being as most of mine have some degree of dog aggression, that usually means, unless the waiting room is empty, or I only have one dog, they wait outside until it's their turn. While socializing is very important, once these dogs reach maturity, you have to accept that they aren't always going to be on their best behavior, and some situations are simply easier to avoid than try to "force" them into. No matter how hard you try, you can't blackmail these dogs... believe me, I've tried. :p

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.