Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 APBT. Lemmy is 10 y/p neutered male.. Ruby just celebrated her 1st birthday and is intact. They are related, their dams were full sisters. They jad a rough go in the beginning. Lemmy had no idea what to do with a little puppy and he bossed her around and mostly just got irritated at her. After about 6 months, he warmed to her greatly. He was raised with another female dog and they were inseparable. I started seeing Lemmy initiating cuddles on the couch, I saw him initiating play and just getting a lot more patient with her.

On a few occasions randomly he would go up to her, start sniffing her with very tense body posture, sort of loom over her and then go at it. It's always been just very loud, no one ever worse for wear. Well it happened again yesterday. Ruby's first instinct was to run. She ran to the bedroom and he was in hot pursuit. I'm not as fast as I usually am as I'm 35 weeks pregnant and going to be delivering in 2 weeks. Anyway, he got her cornered on the bed. She defended herself. Lit up his leg pretty good. As soon as she had that leg he was trying to get away from her. My husband broke them up. Lemmy needed stitches. Ruby was fine. Right away she was acting very concerned about him.....trying ro lick his face and leg. I didn't let her. Same thing last night after we got home from tje vet ER. He was all doped up so we kept them separate to give him some peace. My husband works from home. He says they are snuggling on the bed and couch together today as usual.

I knew this was a possibility when we decided to get a second APBT. Our old dog Molly was a lab mix and tough but she was not a bully breed. They don't generally act unruly with my husband. We have Ruby in training right now and she's doing well. I have low vision and thus can't really distinguish body language subtleties as I could before. For this reason we crate/rotate when I am home alone with them. I just don't want this to become a regular occurrence. I wish I knew what was setting Lemmy off so I could prevent it. We were doing hand feeding with them for a while and his behavior was generally a lot more responsive and relaxed with that. We will have to go back to it. Just don't want to be dealing with dog fights and a new baby in the house.

ETA: Both are well socialized with children and babies. Lemmy is more protective in that he needs to be by the child's side and is watchful but not anxious. Ruby is just happy go lucky and loves to play.

·
Administrator
5,577 Posts
Sorry to hear that happened. Unfortunately, we have heard it lots of times before. At least you were aware that this was a possibility. I would strongly suggest crate and rotate in a strict sense of the phrase. My concern is how Lemmy will react with a new baby in the house. Best of luck with your pregnancy and the dog situation.

Joe

·
Administrator
4,727 Posts
Rehome one, or crate and rotate. Those are your only two options. You can't train away genetics. If you were opposed to crate and rotate and knew the possibility of maybe having to do it, then you should have stuck with the one dog and waited on a puppy until his time passed on this Earth. The breeder is negligent for allowing a second dog to go to a home that was not prepared for the possibility of a permanent change in lifestyle. I strongly recommend a reputable and knowledgeable breeder in the future.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rehome one, or crate and rotate. Those are your only two options. You can't train away genetics. If you were opposed to crate and rotate and knew the possibility of maybe having to do it, then you should have stuck with the one dog and waited on a puppy until his time passed on this Earth. The breeder is negligent for allowing a second dog to go to a home that was not prepared for the possibility of a permanent change in lifestyle. I strongly recommend a reputable and knowledgeable breeder in the future.
I'm not sure where you saw that I am unwilling to crate/rotate. In case you didn't read my post carefully you will see that we DO crate/rotate when I am home alone with the dogs for this reason. It is way less stress for me. Not one of these incidents has happened in my husband's presence......he happened to be in the shower when this occurred. Ruby is usually put up in the mornings while we both get ready for work. My husband forgot to shut her in when he gave them breakfast that morning.

I said I just wished I could tell what the trigger was for Lemmy. But I never said I was averse to crate/rotate. They BOTH will be spending a lot more time in the crate when baby comes. This is why we've been working so hard the last few months getting them really used to enjoying crate time. Complete with special toys they lobe and are only allowed to have in the crate.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Just a random thought.
After the baby is born, bring home a blanket or onsie that smells like it. Give them an introduction to this new "puppy" before it arrives.😁🥰
Be very aware if there are any "aggressive" reactions.

·
Administrator
4,727 Posts
"I just don't want this to become a regular occurrence. " This is what told me you didn't sign up for crate and rotate. Given the situation and the new baby coming, I still stand behind my post. I also strongly recommend getting multiple break sticks to place around the house and learn how to use them. Will help reduce vet bills.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts