Go Pitbull Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any ideas of things my dogs could drag when i walk them,something that wont mess up a sidewalk or be too noisy i dont have a sled or a cart

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
If your dogs have never pulled weight before, start them out with an empty milk jug. It will get them used to the idea of having something behind them making noise and rattling around. I used one of those big Hawaiian punch bottles. Once your dog gets used to that, you can add some water to it, and keep adding til it's full. You should also get a weight pulling harness. You can get a walking/working harness if you don't want to spend a lot of money on a regular competition wp harness.

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
I like the ideas posted above, when your dog is ready for a bit more weight (Build up very slowly.) you can use a chain, they rattle, drag, and can be purchased in varying sizes, thickness, length. Start off very light, don't make any big weight jumps, only add few pounds at a time. Like said above, start off with something extremely light so they get used to the sound and feel of dragging something.

Also, when you get a competition harness, I usually suggest walking them in just the harness first so they get used to it. For some dogs it can be a very odd feeling.

·
The Yard Of Many Colors
3,420 Posts
we drag either chains or tires... we have different sized tires depending on the dog.. like they said above start out light... i have a 15lb chain that i start out with... just see where you dog does good at and start from there... FYI.. no matter how heavy or light it is never let the dog know it cant pull it :D

·
Registered
70 Posts
We use the old steel barbell weights, you can usally find them at goodwill, or thrift stores for next to nothing and you know exactly how much weight your putting on the dog and they are indestructable

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Don't drag on a sidewalk. You want something with some give for the pup to dig its toes into. Go use an empty field somewhere. As for what to drag, anything you aren't too attached to, because dragging on the ground wears stuff down. You can use lengths of chain, old window weights, round weights from barbell sets. Get creative. Make sure its not too terribly light, though, because I've had light stuff "catch" and then bounce back up towards my dog when she was a puppy.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
at the last adba show my man was at with our male one of the more experienced guys there told us to use a old tire { dont get crazy with size just a smaller old tire} he said drag it when we go for our walks through the woods here he said the small snags it gets as it goes along also teaches them to pull when they feel a bit of resistence there instead of them just stopping when they feel stuck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Don't drag on a sidewalk. You want something with some give for the pup to dig its toes into. Go use an empty field somewhere. As for what to drag, anything you aren't too attached to, because dragging on the ground wears stuff down. You can use lengths of chain, old window weights, round weights from barbell sets. Get creative. Make sure its not too terribly light, though, because I've had light stuff "catch" and then bounce back up towards my dog when she was a puppy.
listen to this, i thought it would be a great idea to let my dog pull me while im on my bike. Well 3 miles later he cut his paws up. Next time ill get him on the grass! Anyway a bike seems like a good idea to me. Idk im a newb lol

1 - 9 of 9 Posts