Go Pitbull Forums banner
21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
i give props on this sticky bro. i wasnt really thinking about getting a second dog just yet but it made me realize that i really do need to postpone that thought for aminute. the one pit that i do have isnt aloto of work but during my workweek it is. the weekends we interact alot and that is where i would have the time for a second dog, otherwise im just going to stick with one right now. great post

·
Registered
3 Posts
no matter how good they get a long, pups or into adult hood. it is never a safe idea to leave them together unsupervised. as soon a light switch goes on, one of them will die no doubt. so always make sure your around when theyre together.
congrats on the new pup!
I AGREE COMPLETELY. I NEVER THOUGHT IN A MILLION YEARS MY TWO BABIES WOULD FIGHT. BELIEVE IT OR NOT ON CHRISTMAS DAY OF ALL DAYS MY WORST NIGHTMARE CAME TRUE. I STILL TO THIS DAY AND THAT WAS 2005 DO NOT KNOW WHY OR WHAT HAPPENED THAT MADE THEM FIGHT. IM NEW HERE GUYS AND ILL POST THE PIX OF MY BABIES AS SOON AS I GET A SEC. SO YOU CAN SEE HOW COMPLETELY INSEPERABLE MY TWO DOGS WERE. MY BEST FRIEND NAMED THEM PETE AND REPETE. THEY SLEPT HOLDING EACH OTHER AND THEY WERE SO TIGHT. WHAT SCARED ME WAS THAT MY EX AND I HAD GONE OUT THE NIGHT BEFORE AND LEFT THEM ALONE TOGETHER. I DONT KNOW WHAT I WOULD HAVE DONE IF I CAME HOME TO ONE BEING DEAD. AFTER THAT DAY I CRIED ALL XMAS DAY TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHAT TO DO NOW. I HAD TO SEPERATE THEM BECAUSE MY FAMILY WAS SCARED AND I WAS THE ONLY ONE WHO LIKE AN IDIOT I GUESS DIVES RIGHT ON IN AND FIGHTS OR SHOULD SAY BREAKS THEM UP. NO BODY WANTS TO GET IN THE MIDDLE OF THAT. I KNEW IN MY HEART NEITHER ONE OF THEM WOULD HURT ME AND AFTER ABOUT 10 MORE OF THOSE UNFORGETABLE FIGHTS I WAS FORCED TO MAKE THE HARDEST DECISION OF MY LIFE AS TO WHICH ONE OF MY BABIES I HAD TO LET GO OF. I WAS LUCKY ENOUGH TO GIVE MY OLDEST YET MY FIRST BABIE BACK TO MY EX HUSBAND WHO HAD BEEN ON VACATION IF YOU WILL AT THE GREY BAR MOTEL FOR THE LAST 5 YEARS . SO I WAS LEFT HEART BROKEN AND WITHOUT MY BLAZE. SO MY POINT BEING. YOU NEVER KNOW EVEN IF YOU WOULD BET YOUR LIFE ON IT, WHAT MIGHT HAPPEN BETWEEN YOUR KIDS. I STILL I GUESS WILL NEVER HAVE CLOSURE ON WHAT MADE THEM FIGHT. WAS IT A KONG, OR DID MY GIRL FEATHER ACT LIKE A LITTLE BITCH THAT DAY CUZ US GIRLS DO THAT, OR I COULD GO ON AND ON. I WILL NEVER KNOW... SO I CAN NEVER LEARN FROM ANY MISTAKE I MAY HAVE MADE OR ANYTHING. I DONT HAVE ACTUAL HUMAN CHILDREN AND I NEVER WILL OF MY OWN, BUT THOSE 2 BABIES WERE MY KIDS, AND I FELT LIKE I WAS A BAD MOTHER AND ONE WAS TAKEN FROM ME. I CANT IMAGINE IF THAT HAPPENED TO ME IF I DID HAVE HUMAN CHILDREN AND I CHOOSE NOT TO . I JUST FOUND OUT THAT MY BABIE BLAZE THE ONE I HAD TO GIVE UP NOW HAS CANCER AND IM DEVESTATED. MORE I THNK THAT I CANT BE THERE FOR HIM EVERY DAY. SO I REALLY ADMIRE THOSE OF YOU WHO HAVE AND CONTINUE TO ADD MORE THAN ONE TO THEIR FAMILY BECAUSE I WISH I COULD BE REPLYING THE WAY YOU ALL ARE. BUT THERE IS ANOTHER SIDE TO THAT AND IN MY CASE I WASNT SO LUCKY. I DO WISH YOU ALL GOOD LUCK I JUST DONT THINK I COULD EVER PUT MYSELF THROUGH THAT AGAIN. SO ONE IS ALL EMOTIONALLY I CAN HANDLE. IF YOU LOVE YOURS AS I DO MINE, ITS NOT WORTH LOSING ONE OR BETTER YET HAVING TO CHOSE ONE. I HAVE TO LIVE WITH THAT DECISION FOREVER AND IT HURTS.. I HAVE THE SCARS INSIDE AND OUTSIDE TO PROVE IT. ILL POST THOSE PIX ASAP SO YOU CAN SEE THE LOVE AND YOU TOO WILL BE JUST AS CLUELESS AS I STILL AM.. THANKS GUYS.. I HOPE TO POST MORE AND HOPE TO GET LOTS MORE ADVICE AND SUPPORT FROM ALL OF YOU.....KAREBARE...... BLAZENFEATHER.......

·
Registered
3 Posts
MY WORST NIGHTMARE CAME TRUE WITH TWO

I AGREE COMPLETELY. I NEVER THOUGHT IN A MILLION YEARS MY TWO BABIES WOULD FIGHT. BELIEVE IT OR NOT ON CHRISTMAS DAY OF ALL DAYS MY WORST NIGHTMARE CAME TRUE. I STILL TO THIS DAY AND THAT WAS 2005 DO NOT KNOW WHY OR WHAT HAPPENED THAT MADE THEM FIGHT. IM NEW HERE GUYS AND ILL POST THE PIX OF MY BABIES AS SOON AS I GET A SEC. SO YOU CAN SEE HOW COMPLETELY INSEPERABLE MY TWO DOGS WERE. MY BEST FRIEND NAMED THEM PETE AND REPETE. THEY SLEPT HOLDING EACH OTHER AND THEY WERE SO TIGHT. WHAT SCARED ME WAS THAT MY EX AND I HAD GONE OUT THE NIGHT BEFORE AND LEFT THEM ALONE TOGETHER. I DONT KNOW WHAT I WOULD HAVE DONE IF I CAME HOME TO ONE BEING DEAD. AFTER THAT DAY I CRIED ALL XMAS DAY TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHAT TO DO NOW. I HAD TO SEPERATE THEM BECAUSE MY FAMILY WAS SCARED AND I WAS THE ONLY ONE WHO LIKE AN IDIOT I GUESS DIVES RIGHT ON IN AND FIGHTS OR SHOULD SAY BREAKS THEM UP. NO BODY WANTS TO GET IN THE MIDDLE OF THAT. I KNEW IN MY HEART NEITHER ONE OF THEM WOULD HURT ME AND AFTER ABOUT 10 MORE OF THOSE UNFORGETABLE FIGHTS I WAS FORCED TO MAKE THE HARDEST DECISION OF MY LIFE AS TO WHICH ONE OF MY BABIES I HAD TO LET GO OF. I WAS LUCKY ENOUGH TO GIVE MY OLDEST YET MY FIRST BABIE BACK TO MY EX HUSBAND WHO HAD BEEN ON VACATION IF YOU WILL AT THE GREY BAR MOTEL FOR THE LAST 5 YEARS . SO I WAS LEFT HEART BROKEN AND WITHOUT MY BLAZE. SO MY POINT BEING. YOU NEVER KNOW EVEN IF YOU WOULD BET YOUR LIFE ON IT, WHAT MIGHT HAPPEN BETWEEN YOUR KIDS. I STILL I GUESS WILL NEVER HAVE CLOSURE ON WHAT MADE THEM FIGHT. WAS IT A KONG, OR DID MY GIRL FEATHER ACT LIKE A LITTLE BITCH THAT DAY CUZ US GIRLS DO THAT, OR I COULD GO ON AND ON. I WILL NEVER KNOW... SO I CAN NEVER LEARN FROM ANY MISTAKE I MAY HAVE MADE OR ANYTHING. I DONT HAVE ACTUAL HUMAN CHILDREN AND I NEVER WILL OF MY OWN, BUT THOSE 2 BABIES WERE MY KIDS, AND I FELT LIKE I WAS A BAD MOTHER AND ONE WAS TAKEN FROM ME. I CANT IMAGINE IF THAT HAPPENED TO ME IF I DID HAVE HUMAN CHILDREN AND I CHOOSE NOT TO . I JUST FOUND OUT THAT MY BABIE BLAZE THE ONE I HAD TO GIVE UP NOW HAS CANCER AND IM DEVESTATED. MORE I THNK THAT I CANT BE THERE FOR HIM EVERY DAY. SO I REALLY ADMIRE THOSE OF YOU WHO HAVE AND CONTINUE TO ADD MORE THAN ONE TO THEIR FAMILY BECAUSE I WISH I COULD BE REPLYING THE WAY YOU ALL ARE. BUT THERE IS ANOTHER SIDE TO THAT AND IN MY CASE I WASNT SO LUCKY. I DO WISH YOU ALL GOOD LUCK I JUST DONT THINK I COULD EVER PUT MYSELF THROUGH THAT AGAIN. SO ONE IS ALL EMOTIONALLY I CAN HANDLE. IF YOU LOVE YOURS AS I DO MINE, ITS NOT WORTH LOSING ONE OR BETTER YET HAVING TO CHOSE ONE. I HAVE TO LIVE WITH THAT DECISION FOREVER AND IT HURTS.. I HAVE THE SCARS INSIDE AND OUTSIDE TO PROVE IT. ILL POST THOSE PIX ASAP SO YOU CAN SEE THE LOVE AND YOU TOO WILL BE JUST AS CLUELESS AS I STILL AM.. THANKS GUYS.. I HOPE TO POST MORE AND HOPE TO GET LOTS MORE ADVICE AND SUPPORT FROM ALL OF YOU.....KAREBARE...... BLAZENFEATHER.......

·
Registered
771 Posts
We add a dog to the family all the time lol. China is 2, Aries is 1 and Bud is 6 months. They all get along great. I'm already feeding one why not two? I'm already feeding two, why not one more? I don't think I'm getting anymore though lol.

·
Registered
366 Posts
i think that dogs also need company besides that of a human. although i also belive that while the owner is away, either the dogs behave and play with eachother well or stay seperated during the duration. you can take care of 2 or more dogs but they also have to be comfortable with each other, pretty much meaning that one has to accept that the other is the alpha or the dominant canine. if not then there will be problems, thats a given. if you cannot seperate them while you are gone and they continue to have problems then it is problly best to get rid of one or the other. although that seems to be hard for us dog lovers. but you also have to think about whats best for your companions.
fighting is serious, and there is a difference between play fighting and full contact of your dogs aggressivly mauling eachother. you should be able to tell the difference either between the tone of their growls from the other room, or by the way they act when they are going at it if you are watching them play\fight. a good dog owner can tell the difference right away. and playing can turn into fighting in the snap of your fingers. so you will need to quickly learn the different temperment tones that your dogs have. furthermore the choice is up to you to have just one dog or having any more, but like the song goes... You Got To Keep E'm Seperated.

·
Registered
168 Posts
awesome post! After reading this I am proud to say I have done everything the right way! Even down to treating them differently as to what they can handle individually. Great! When buying toys we must buy 2 of whatever we get!...They still try to fight over the same thing, but we keep a close eye on them when the toys are still fairly new.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is a great post. Thank you for the information. Our family recently introduced a new male puppy. Unfortunately we have a two year old male that we have had for almost a year. Luckily they are both crate trained and we curtail any puppy biting we see that is inappropriate. I worry about the dogs being home with my wife one day and getting into a fight though. Maybe I can convince my wife to trade the pup for a female puppy or just sell him since he is only 12 weeks old now and just live with one dog.

We use to have two males but they got into a huge fight while I was at work and my wife was trapped in the bathroom until our neighbor came over and separated them. I just don't want to have to go through that again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
two female pitbulls

Hello, i have two pit bulls one american pitbull terrier and one staffordshire pit terrier, both females the american pit CINNAMON and staffordshire is MARYJANE. I have had cinnamon for 2 years and maryjane for a couple of days i found her and no one has claimed her or put a missing add. My question is will they get along or what do i do so that they can get along i love dogs and i want to keep her, so do you have any advice thanks...

·
Banned
3,721 Posts
Hello, i have two pit bulls one american pitbull terrier and one staffordshire pit terrier, both females the american pit CINNAMON and staffordshire is MARYJANE. I have had cinnamon for 2 years and maryjane for a couple of days i found her and no one has claimed her or put a missing add. My question is will they get along or what do i do so that they can get along i love dogs and i want to keep her, so do you have any advice thanks...
What is a staffordshire pit? I have ne'er heard of that before. You can take a gamble but time will tell if the two can get along. Try both have combat genetics and one may start a fight and they other could end it. Same sex pit dogs pairings can be extremely Dangerous and not recommended for a beginner.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I want a second dog every day .I was hurt on the job over a year ago and had 2 surgerys on a torn biceps .and now I have complete nerve damage in my left arm and can't lift anything over 10 pounds.so it would be real hard to have second pit but at the same time I have all the time in the world to raise a puppy during this long court battle.and its hard being home all day when you are use to working every day you get depressed and my pit is the only thing that makes me happy.so decisions decisions

·
Registered
100 Posts
I think you can get them to get along .just treat them equally and be stern to any dog agresion.in my opinon a good responsible owner can change anything or break any bad habits that a dog may have it just takes time

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have four dogs and they are all somewhat close in age. I wouldn't have it any other way! The post talked about the negative things that come with having multiple dogs, but doesn't say much about the positives. Dogs are pack animals and the human is the pack leader. Dogs are more social in general when they have "siblings" to play with on a daily basis. Having a lot like "only" dog is just like having an "only" child... Its just my opinion. There are so many dogs in shelters that need homes! Save a dog's life - he will thank you for it and you won't regret it. My dogs are the happiest dogs in the world.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
I think you can get them to get along .just treat them equally and be stern to any dog agresion.in my opinon a good responsible owner can change anything or break any bad habits that a dog may have it just takes time
I would disagree ,although some may grow up together no problems ,i had 2 males grew up together since the youngest was only 10 weeks we kept ontop of them and really never had any issues no growls no jumping on humping nothing and one day they went at it and were never able to be together again. And there was no ' time will heal it' even a year later they would try and go at it if they even saw eachother, DA is known in this breed and some may never have any issues but some will no matter how much you correct the behaviour or how stern you are with them. I have 5 right now and 4 get along great I have to keep 2 apart though. I dont think there is a problem getting 2 dogs if 1 you watch them closely and never leave them unattended { mine are crated when we leave the house and at night} and 2 you are prepared to deal with it and are set up to if it comes to the point you need to seperate ,crate and rotate or 1 inside 1 outside and rotate that way ect. I cant stand when I see people rehoming the dog when things dont work out and the dogs are no longer buddy buddy, people need to research the breed they are getting and if they did they would know about the possibility with DA.

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
I think that expecting your dogs to never fight because you think they have a good relationship is unsafe. Never expect a dog to not fight.

So, I agree with angelbaby on that. ;)

Edit: And don't expect your dog to act like a wolf pack. Research showed that feral dog groups are nothing like wolf packs. They are social animals whom create a social hierarchy but the way they work is not like a wolf pack. In a wolf pack, they'd wait for the leaders to eat first. Whilst in a feral dog pack they just go at it. Dogs have to be taught things.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yes, I completely agree with Celestial88. I am just speaking from experience and from what I have observed. Ever since I was a child we have always had at least 4 dogs. They were apart of our lives and we all had a blast. My dogs that I have now are no different. They have to be taught, but that is the joy of owning all four. It takes time and patience (what many folks don't have a lot of) but it is SO worth it, if done right! :)

·
Bull Headed
1,247 Posts
You know about all the matters.That how to make him to be familiar with the family.I will suggest you to get a dog who will have almost the same behavioral approach like the previous.It will also helpful for you to be familiar with your dog early and conveniently.
i would not suggest to get a dog with the same temperament.... because if you have 2 d.a. dogs then you'd better be prepared for fights. when you buy a puppy your not really 100% sure of its temperament you know its personality you can ask about the parents temperaments but it doesnt guarantee anything. the only real way to successfully add a second dog to your home is be prepared for everything.

i dont agree with the whole ceasar milan pack stand point i dont think you can take a group of gamebred apbts and make em into a pack, in fact i would love to see ceasar try it (point being it doesnt work with every breed of dog, sure there might be some dogs that are exceptions to the rules. daddy i think was an am bully, anyways and jr idk). when you own pit bulls fights are expected if you dont expect them then your gonna be unprepared if anything happens and it could go south fast.

·
Registered
15 Posts
this only work when i was around, not my wife, my mom, my brother, or my dad, it only work when i was around, tried it a couple of times with other people but they didnt know how to read their intentions so then it was too late already. and they were never left alone together.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Get one...wait at least 6 months, maybe a year...and then consider a second.

I have found 2 dogs is often less work if you have a tight bonding breed, as they will focus on one another instead of barking when your gone and less likely to tear up stuff due to separation issues...but having 3 dogs is almost always more trouble.

Personally, contrary to the above, I think the more one adds after two, the harder it gets to manage.

Of course this REALLY is influenced by breed type. APBT of the same sex should never be left together unattended in MY opinion. Opposite sex dogs may or may not be able to live together. It depends upon the dogs.

·
Forum Manager
4,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I have four dogs and they are all somewhat close in age. I wouldn't have it any other way! The post talked about the negative things that come with having multiple dogs, but doesn't say much about the positives. Dogs are pack animals and the human is the pack leader. Dogs are more social in general when they have "siblings" to play with on a daily basis. Having a lot like "only" dog is just like having an "only" child... Its just my opinion. There are so many dogs in shelters that need homes! Save a dog's life - he will thank you for it and you won't regret it. My dogs are the happiest dogs in the world.
pitbulls are the exception to the "dogs are pack animals".
They are not pack animals at all, they dont need to have any other dogs in the house. That's why most of us having multiple animals crate and rotate. They were bred to fight, so thats they're DNA make up. Not cuddling with other dogs..

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
You and your family is all the pack these dogs need. They don't need other dogs to be happy. They just need your love and attention.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts