Go Pitbull Forums banner

Thinking About Buying A Bully?

3K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  9361 
#1 ·
Cross Posted from Game&BullyBred

If you think the American Bully is the dog for you there are several things you need to look for in a quality breeder and things you need to be wary of. Unfortunately this breed has many problem breeders surrounding it an often people are taken advantage of. These irresponsible breeders have made a bad name for those who are out there truly trying to better the breed.

In a quality breeder:

Ideally a quality breeder does something with their dogs. The ABKC is available to bully breeders for conformation shows as well as some weight pull, however since this breed is more of a pet than a working style dog its not necessarily a deal breaker if they don't. The importance of a show quality dog versus pet quality is dependant on what the buyer is looking to do with the dog, however the same rules apply. A good breeder will have a clear purpose to their breeding other than color or money. Quality breeders will only breed to further the enhance the breed by producing pups that meet the standards put in place by the registry. Look for someone who has health checked* their dogs BEFORE breeding them and can provide the paperwork from the veterinarian to prove this.

*Side note: Generally American bullies will not pass a PennHip or OFA:Hip** test simply because of the structure of the dog, this does put the dog at a higher risk for displaysia but it does not guarantee it. You breeder should know if there is any history of this in their dogs line. However, and over all health and wellness check should be done.

**Personal Recommendation: OFA:Hip works on a graded scale rather than pass/fail. Personally I like to see this test done and a number result produced. You can find the grade scale here so you are aware of what you are looking at. OFA: Hip Dysplasia

The breeder should be able to accurately and honestly explain to you the difference between the American Pit Bull Terrier and the American Bully as well as know the standard set forth by the American Bully Kennel Club. They will know their dog's bloodlines and be able to produce paperwork for both the parents and the litter to back them up from a reputable registry. (ABKC, UKC, ADBA) They will give you a receipt for your deposit all their contact info and a definitive date for you to be able to pick up your puppy.

What to be Wary of:

As previously stated there are some bad apple breeders out there. These are a few signs of a breeder to stay away from.

- Breeders who advertise their dogs as XXL Pit Bulls
- Use "rare" and "unique" when referring to color (there are no rare colors in either the APBT or the American Bully)
- Breeders who charge outrageous prices: When you run across these kennels asking anywhere from $1500-$5000 a puppy take a moment to ask "What makes this dog worth $5000?" A good breeder does not need to charge outlandish prices to prove their dogs are quality.
- Breeders who cannot produce papers or papers are from a non-recognized registry: The CKC and APBR are not thought of as reputable registries, neither the ABKC, ADBA or UKC will accept paperwork from these should you ever try to show your dog. (also parents registered with different registries)
- Breeders who use Blue Nose, Red Nose, Black Nose to explain bloodlines. These are not different types of American Bullies simply different colors!

Bottom line: DO YOUR RESEARCH! Don't be afraid to ask question a good breeder will always be happy to talk with you about any concerns

See less See more
#5 ·
I've made a couple mistakes and had an accident as well, you live and you learn. Well, hopefully you learn. Thankfully, all pups from those mistakes are still accounted for and doing well. But to answer your question, no. I don't have a bully bitch for that. I have one on the way, but it's gonna be a while before I even consider. Saggy boobs don't look good in the show ring and that's my purpose and obtaining her. There isn't a lot of money in breeding, unless you invest a lot and are willing to rip people off.

At any rate, I don't deserve credit for this post, it was a cross post from GameAndBullyBred in the bully forum. I was going through old posts, most of which were chuck full of info, but there were a few that stood out to me and I thought I'd share.

#8 ·
over all good post... there are some things I don't agree with, but I'm just a jackass lol

#12 ·
I love the post good info...... wish i would have read this before i got Remi....ive been trying to get papers from this guy since i got her and i know people get busy but its been 3 months now and he just keep sayin " yea im gonna get em" BULL!!!!!

#14 ·
yea i know and usually i do ask those questions....but Remi was a surprise from my girl story: i had been talking about APBT'S from the day i met stacey till our 8 months we were together. so me and stacey were at pets smart and ran into a guy gettin puppies there vacs and i saw Remi just sittin the lookin bautiful so i asked how much what bloodline you know and then i went about my business.........well the next week stacey called and was like come outside and there she was (stacey doesnt know anything about gettin papers and stuff so she didnt ask before she bought) but it was a swwet gester and pretty dog so i coulsnt refuse

#15 ·
Awhhh!!! That is SO sweet! What a good girl you got there!! And ya know...as long as you love him, and he loves you...thats all you need. Unless Remi is going to be a show dog, papers are just that...a piece of paper. I wouldnt sweat it too much. You got yourself a great looking dog! :)

#17 ·
This is not a debate on wether this is the dog for you or not. If you are interested in buying a bully as your pet, then this is advice previously written by a member here stating do's and don'ts. Simple enough. This is not a debate.

#19 ·
No it is NOT funny, and should be one of the things you look for. However if a breeder has everything you want in a dog, and you feel compelled to buy, nobody else can tell you what to do with your money. I think the Original Post was a good post because the bully trend is still on the rise and that means people being drawn in that don't know up from down.. And should take the advice into consideration.

#20 ·
Hmm.. that's too bad that hips can be overlooked because of "structure" Do German Shepard breeders use that one too? I know their structure leads to bad hips as well. My aunt had a nice shepherd who had HD. I think they should breed for better structure..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.