Go Pitbull Forums banner

Thinking about buying pit pup, need help

4K views 48 replies 8 participants last post by  blackpitowner 
#1 ·
I've been looking for a pit pup for a while now. Found one I like, I have to travel 4.5 hours to get it though. I was wondering if someone tell me if I'm over paying or making a mistake. I can send you the link to the add.. Its on Craigslist

#2 ·
If you’re buying from Craigslist it’s a mistake. No reputable breeder would sell their pups on Craigslist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Hello tanman. I would be more than just a little leery about anyone who is selling any breed of dog on Craigslist. There has been countless people on this forum alone who have bought what they thought were APBT's only to find out they bought a mixed breed dog with no pedigree papers. If you have your heart set on this particular pup, text the owner and demand a picture of the pups pedigree papers which will show the dogs ancestors. If they give you a run around about not having the peds or they are in the mail and they're waiting for them to come, misplaced, etc. a BIG alarm should go off.

Reputable APBT breeders do not list their dogs on Craigslist. Usually every pup in the liter is already spoken for before the breeding takes place. Be wary of terms like "blue nose"or "red nose" to describe their pups. This is another trick to make you think it's a special breed instead of a mutt.

Before you exchange any money or make a 4.5 hour drive check back here and let us know about the peds. If he does send you a picture of the peds, post it here so we can verify that they are legitimate blood lines. All it takes is a computer and a printer to make up your own peds.
Something smells bad about this. Don't get burned.

Joe

#8 ·
Quick check on what I could based on what I could see in my phone - ped appears legit but these dogs are American Bullies not American Pit Bull Terriers - the papers say APBT but because the AmBully is newly recognized in the past several years a lot of the papers are wrong. Def bullies - so it depends on what you want and what you’re looking for.

I’m still real leery of CraigsList and won’t do business there, nor will any good legit breeders.

#12 ·
That’s a fair price for that dog. All comes down to what you want. Don’t buy a dog just because it’s “all you can find”. Make sure you’re getting what you want and can handle or it’s likely to not end well.

Good luck.

#14 ·
There’s a lot more to showing or breeding than just the papers. Just do your research and understand the structure and health of the pups and what to expect as far as conformation. Taking your time with the process now will pay off down the road.

#15 · (Edited)
There's a lot more to showing or breeding than just the papers. Just do your research and understand the structure and health of the pups and what to expect as far as conformation. Taking your time with the process now will pay off down the road.

At risk of ruffling feathers or being banned, not really....

Get a dog with papers, take it to a show, place or dont. Learn and improve.

Doing that alone would be lightyears ahead of mods, admin and most with "clout" here....

As far as breeding while I agree with the FACT no active member here has any business breeding(regardless of cute forum title) they also have no business trying to lecture anyone else on the practices they have little to no experience about...

I've seen high ups say ridiculously unfounded things on breeding(then blame not having a working dryer and kids as the reason), I've seen the absolute TRASH "certified breeders" here have produced(and swindled ppl on), I've seen the things "expected from a "REAL" breeder" be ignored because of who it was and who got the pups, mods with no experience try to give Confo advice on puppies(they were WRONG), etc...

So yes there is a ton more to breeding but theres not a reliable source for quality info who is active(that's taken seriously) that can help this person.

His best advice is to yes buy the reasonably priced dog, take the ukc papers and get abkc papers, go to every show imaginable, find someone in the bullies who will help them and learn from them.

Otherwise he'll get old info, misinformation, uneducated info and a bunch of cool lingo tossed at him by glorified novices and he'll never get anywhere.

Hes a good deal further than most here. Support him.

#16 · (Edited)
I'm confused. You say no one here has any business breeding (or lecturing, due to no experience), yet you say this person who says they want the papers "in case" they want to breed are a lot further along than anyone else and should be supported... simply for wanting papers "in case" he wants to breed...

#17 ·
Nothing confusing about it unless your reading comprehension isnt to par....

If he buys a dogs with papers, goes to shows, and gets a mentor in bullies he can learn from(all things previously mentioned) THEN he would be way ahead of most here and gain the experience and knowledge to breed.

Then I went on to say the fact that hes interested in learning, showing, and possibly breeding, but trying to find a dog with papers and get into showing he is far ahead of mutt owners breedings their junk dogs cause "theyre cute and well behaved"

#30 ·
Man I remember when you had to actually insult someone for it to be an insult....

Now you call a shelter mutt a shelter mutt and its "low and insulting"... you're the person who didnt put in the time to get a well bred dog, you rushed to the shelter got a mutt and want ppl to act like it's a pure bred show ch you actually put work in.

Its a mutt and you're a novice if you find the truth insulting I promise life will only become more difficult...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.