Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of starting with the raw food but my pit is 5month. Is that too early? Another thing with the raw food would i see a different in the body tone?

·
Registered
798 Posts
I have my old girl on raw for about a good month or more and I have noticed she is more alert, and she is shedding a lot less.

Now as for starting at that age, I dont know what to advice for my dog started well if I am not mistaken she is almost 10 now. I am saving so much more money now and it feels great. Though to do that, you have to cut your meat and puree your veggies yourself.

My advice that is a good money saver is spend the extra dollar, buy some tupperware. Bella is good about not ripping up the tupperware but some dogs do, so you may want to get his regular dog bowl and dethaw the food and put it in the bowl. It just means one little extra step. The tupperware can be thrown in the dishwarer or done by hand but you wont have to buy zip lock bag after zip lock bag.
For a short while I used small cheap trash bags that were ment for trash cans in the bathroom, but they kept breaking to easily. The tupperware going to cost a pretty penny at first but a great saver later

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
we started our boy at 4 months , I have heard some say to wait until 6 months some say wait till a year and others have told us start young. just there are certain bones they cant have that young I would stay away from any weight bearing bones to start. If you have totally read up on everything and have a plan in place and know what you are doing Id say go ahead , we had no issues with our boy adn he has been thriving. But thats my opinion. Have you looked into raw already? what is your plan are you following a guide like prey model or something along those lines?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No I'm just doing my research on everything the puppy dog food i am giving him, i notice his #2s are runny. So i was just reading up on raw and how often u feed? I feed him dog food 2 to 3 times a day with able 1 1/2 cup of food and 8oz of water.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
I feed twice a day for raw , they tend to burn it quicker then the kibble , I notice the ones I have on raw are hungry by the evening so they get a smaller meal at night , the ones on kibble we feed once a day, although for pups its best to do 2 feedings. Younger pups we feed 3x a day { 8 weeks - 4 months}.

·
Kelevra
1,733 Posts
A proper raw diet can be introduced at any age (after 4 weeks). Knowing what you are doing will help you to not upset your dogs body. There are a few threads about the raw transition here you could study up on.. If I wasnt on my phone Id link ya, but someone else might :)

Reactions: Firehazard

·
K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,363 Posts
I am Mr. Raw.......

I don't know anyone who's been feeding raw as long as I have besides old timers and traditional mushers. I started feeding raw in the 80s as a kid with gramps rescued wolves. I grew up in it, and got "my" first dog at 18 a true iditarod dog. I've always fed raw foods and bones. All animal bones dogs can eat uncooked. If you harvest your own or in good with a butcher, you can get the innerds and make a beefy broth if you will thats called gruel in mushers world and it goes a long way with them dogs. Naturally catching bulldog fever in 2000 and I have fed the same style; a mushers sled dog diet. I do throw in particular greens and rice/potatoes as well.

Now I've been in APBTs for near 15years and a lifetime of canine behavior education and biology. Nothing is better than raw.... I start my pups on raw at 4weeks roughly as soon as they are off the mamma. For puppies I put some down and watch them eat, when I see they are full and that means full NOT BLOATED, I remove the food; see how much was left over and recaluate. A general rule of thumb is a pups belly is roughly the size of its head almost all dogs are like this ALMOST.. So each pup should get the same size of its head in food. Of course I can't speak for everyone; I can only speak for myself and my life time experiences. LIKE HeavyJEEP pointed out; there are some feeding raw threads here on gopitbull.com :welcome:

http://www.gopitbull.com/raw-foods/15425-raw-feeding-f-q.html

http://www.gopitbull.com/raw-foods/

1 - 7 of 7 Posts