Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a show called pitbulls and parollees? wtf. thats like realting convicts to a breed people consider conficts. get my drift? why it gotta be pitbulls? I dont know how to explain it but i dont like it.. I havent seen it or anything but i just read about it.. thoughts?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bump? anyone? what do you guys think about the show?.. aint no other posts goin on atm..

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
It's an alright show but I think it is off the air now. Bascially the woman runs a pit bull rescue, she has always had a passion for the breed. She was married to an ex con. And so she saw how hard it was for ex con's to get jobs so she started taking on parolee's to give them jobs. And then her husband went back to jail. I didn't like the sound of it when I heard of it either.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's an alright show but I think it is off the air now. Bascially the woman runs a pit bull rescue, she has always had a passion for the breed. She was married to an ex con. And so she saw how hard it was for ex con's to get jobs so she started taking on parolee's to give them jobs. And then her husband went back to jail. I didn't like the sound of it when I heard of it either.
that dont sound too bad.. she needs to focus on finding homes though not finding friends.. lol

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
well since you haven't seen it, go watch one, lol. Basically the beginning state that people don't give parolees chances, and are misunderstood just like the pit bull is. Many people do not give the a pit bull a chance just because its a pit. Kinda like ex criminals, people judge them unwarranted. It allows parolees to live and work and learn how to love and care for dogs. Shows the parolee love that some have never gotten from a human before. Its a good show IMO. Some people don't like her methods or how she doesn't mention dog parks being bad and adopts to multi dog homes without stating they should never be left alone, etc. but for the most part Tia is spot on and is a good person trying to help dogs who are abandoned or hurt. Way better than Shorty and his little people, shoot I can't remember the PC name, dwarf? (That sounds harsher, sorry if I offend someone). anyway, I don't like what Shorty does to his co-workers more than Tia and Pit Bulls and Parolees. and Shorty just seems to move dogs around to different rescues not have an active rescue like Villalobos on pits and parolees.

Its back on this summer. They tried to move the rescue but people protested and her property lien was not able to go through without the county allowing the move. She is still out of LA and supposedly coming back for season 3.

Reactions: carson1391

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well since you haven't seen it, go watch one, lol. Basically the beginning state that people don't give parolees chances, and are misunderstood just like the pit bull is. Many people do not give the a pit bull a chance just because its a pit. Kinda like ex criminals, people judge them unwarranted. It allows parolees to live and work and learn how to love and care for dogs. Shows the parolee love that some have never gotten from a human before. Its a good show IMO. Some people don't like her methods or how she doesn't mention dog parks being bad and adopts to multi dog homes without stating they should never be left alone, etc. but for the most part Tia is spot on and is a good person trying to help dogs who are abandoned or hurt. Way better than Shorty and his little people, shoot I can't remember the PC name, dwarf? (That sounds harsher, sorry if I offend someone). anyway, I don't like what Shorty does to his co-workers more than Tia and Pit Bulls and Parolees. and Shorty just seems to move dogs around to different rescues not have an active rescue like Villalobos on pits and parolees.
Thx ames, good post, what i was looking for. I think i might just watch one lol

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
a show called pitbulls and parollees? wtf. thats like realting convicts to a breed people consider conficts. get my drift? why it gotta be pitbulls? I dont know how to explain it but i dont like it.. I havent seen it or anything but i just read about it.. thoughts?
Y not pitbulls? convicts arent just that they are humans who maybe have made a wrong choice at some point { who of us havent} difference is they got caught there are many people out there doing worse then some of these guys have. As with any show on dog training, rescuing there are going to be parts that are great and some that not everyone agrees with , she has done and said things that have kinda made me cringe but I think for the most part she is doing the breed a good thing . Showing them off in the light that we all see them as loving family pets and not the mean dogs people think they are. There are many otehr shows " at the end of my leash" and "whatever the shorty pitbull show is with the talent agency " that bother me more. So my opinion on the pitbull and parolees show is good , I like the show and for the most part Ilike how the breed is pereived on it , she is giving dogs and the guys who work for her a 2nd chance in life.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Y not pitbulls? convicts arent just that they are humans who maybe have made a wrong choice at some point { who of us havent} difference is they got caught there are many people out there doing worse then some of these guys have. As with any show on dog training, rescuing there are going to be parts that are great and some that not everyone agrees with , she has done and said things that have kinda made me cringe but I think for the most part she is doing the breed a good thing . Showing them off in the light that we all see them as loving family pets and not the mean dogs people think they are. There are many otehr shows " at the end of my leash" and "whatever the shorty pitbull show is with the talent agency " that bother me more. So my opinion on the pitbull and parolees show is good , I like the show and for the most part Ilike how the breed is pereived on it , she is giving dogs and the guys who work for her a 2nd chance in life.
i agree with you angelbaby, just could have picked a better name i guess lol. maybe even have kids do it! lol.. im not familiar with teh shorty thing. either way i guess im glad the show is a good thing. I am just protective and furious abou the whole pitbull thing. they are just the best pets in the world to me. they are closer to humans than monkeys to me..:pup:

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
It's a good show IMO. It does have extra drama in it because let's face it, it's a reality show and those shows don't make it without drama. But she honestly cares about the dogs and they are the main focus of the show.

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
i agree with you angelbaby, just could have picked a better name i guess lol. maybe even have kids do it! lol.. im not familiar with teh shorty thing. either way i guess im glad the show is a good thing. I am just protective and furious abou the whole pitbull thing. they are just the best pets in the world to me. they are closer to humans than monkeys to me..:pup:
Why a different name? It's straight and to the point, lets you know exactly what the focus of the show is, really. IMO, as everyone else has already stated, she's given both a new leash on life, so to speak. Granted it is a reality show, she still gets the point across that despite what the general public thinks, ex-cons and pitbulls are one in the same, prejudged and victims of prejudice, most times unjustly. Like Angel said, everyone makes mistakes, and these people just happened to be caught. Not all of us agree with all her tactics, but for the most part, she's getting the message out and showing the dogs in a positive light!

If you look down to the bottom of the main screen when you log in, you'll see there is a section called "On the Air". In that section, there is a show by one of our own moderators and members here, BullyTheKid, who does a show called Pitbulls and Parolees. http://www.gopitbull.com/bullzeye-radio/31847-pitbulls-parolees.html#post371531 You can listen to past shows in the archives, where he's got full segments with Tia and they take calls from listeners and concerned lovers, owners and advocates like ourselves and discuss current events surrounding the bully community. When I use the term bully, I'm referring to all encompassing breeds, APBTs, ASTs, ABs, etc. You should check it out, and then come back here and post what you think. It may enlighten you a bit more.

I understand your initial frustration, but if you take the time to watch, listen and learn, you'll understand more. Don't be so quick to jump the gun all the time, as that reflects on you, and all of us, the same as it does the people who despise our beloved breeds.

Reactions: apbtmom76

·
Registered
50 Posts
Its a good show with a good concept. Don't be so close minded, BSL hates ur dog and theirs as well as mine just as much. They do more for the breed than most so I wont sit here n throw stones
I'm volunteering the next time I go to Cali to visit. The dogs r what is important.

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
It is a good show and Tia puts in work. Moderator Bully the Kid guest starred on the show as well. If you've never seen it then you can't really have an opinion.Tia used to do the radio show with BTK called Bullzeye Radio and he was going to talk to her about maybe starting it up again, but she has a lot going on so we'll see. You can listen to BTK's show The Bully Booth every Tuesday night at 10/9pm CST and 7pm PST and the show he does with Michelle Chavez called Back to the Bullies on Thursday nights at 10/9pm CST and 7pm PST

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
no hate here, just wanted some info on it. wanted your opinions thats all. Sounds good, ill guess ill watch it, thx

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Its back on this summer. They tried to move the rescue but people protested and her property lien was not able to go through without the county allowing the move. She is still out of LA and supposedly coming back for season 3.
Is this really true? I haven't heard anything about it coming back on?? If it is true I am glad and am looking forward to seeing the new season :). Ames, where did you get that info from?

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
The show with Shorty is called "Pitboss". I've watched it a couple of times and not really crazy bout it. The way I interpreted the name of the show is he has pits and he is the boss of his talent agency.

·
s3x drugs and el3ktro
194 Posts
i think its a good show it sounds like ur discriminating against the parolees the same way as people discriminate against our dogs and i think the show helps people see past the steriotypes of parolees and realise there just like any 1 else except they made some mistakes and i like what she's doing for the breed its a win win if u ask me she's hiring people that not many else will and shes taking dogs that not many else do as well

·
Banned
314 Posts
Think of it like this: The convicts aren't the ones who bred these dogs that needed to be rescued, are they? Isn't it a fact rescues are overcrowded anyway?

I saw the show. The convicts used are good "prisoners" who stay out of trouble. They get really attached to the dogs they work with, and when they must part with them, they are hurt. This shows these "convicts" have heart, more than many who have never been behind bars, IMO.

And like the breed, these parollee's (including people who've never been behind bars) are scarred with a rep that will cause them to be punished for a crime again, when they try to get a job. The convicts who work with these dogs that had never seen the APBT in any positive image, now see the breed as it is. People who think they are "righteous" could learn from these experiences.

And, IMO, if honest dog owners have a bad rep for owning these dogs, it don't matter if convicts who treat them better than non-cons work with them. The haters will never like 'em anyway...and it's BYB's that breed the HA garbage that give the breed a bad name, JMO.

Reactions: aussie monster pitt

·
Registered
47 Posts
We love Tia around my house. I think the show is fantastic. Anything positive about pitbulls is good in my book. I love that she works her tail off to protect the dogs and even has "lifeys" that are dogs with aggression that she can not rehome. She will keep them until their last days. Sure, her family has issues, as do all families. I don't know why people are so anti- Tia. I think she is wonderful and strong. She has alot on her plate! I could never have over 200 pitbulls!

I have kids at my school that watch it and have asked Allie (my daughter) about her dogs. Even at only 7 years old Allie jumps on the chance to educate anyone on the breed. I had a mother/coworker tell me her daughter Madison loves the show and Allie told her all about how great our dogs are and how it's just bad people who make dogs bad.

Because it is on t.v. younger kids can see for themselves that these dogs are good. They can make their own assumptions instead of depending on what their parents or the news says.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Tia and Shorty

I think Tia is a really good person, but she doesnt seem to adopt out many dogs.
If you look at her site, she has had a lot of those dogs for years.
Are they returned because of the way they are kept?
Unlike a traditional rescue.
They are outside all the time maybe losing whatever house manners they may have had at one time or another. IDK.
And Im not sure if keeping those PA dogs in kennels for life is good thing for them either.
On the positive side: Trying to help people turn their lives around is a real good thing.

Now on to Shorty. I have seen him give some terrible advice.
Someone came to him with a food aggresive, resource guarding dog.
And he told them they have to understand the bowl belongs to the dog.
WTF?
Also, I saw him pushing an apartment building into allowing APBT.
I can only speak for myself here, but there is no way in hell my dog would be happy in an apartment, unless I was some avid jogger who took her jogging 4 miles a day. Jolene has to get her ya ya's out. PERIOD!
When I first got her, I thought. Why is this dog being such a pain in the butt?(my first apbt btw)
After very little research, I found it was all my fault.
With a regular exercise routine, at least 2 hrs a day.( long walks, flirtpole, ball chasing etc) She has been a dream dog.
I dont think I could pull all that off without a backyard.
Any thoughts on apartments and pit bull terriers?
Is this one reason why apbt have such problems in the cities?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts