Go Pitbull Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently was surfing around the web on Craigslist. Saw a blue and white year and a half old pitbull or mix. He belonged to a couple that was going through a divorce and they needed to find him a home. I talked to the lady and she said he was very gentle with her children and even liked their cat. So I decide to go meet the dog. They wanted a $75 rehoming fee. I get there and the dog is in horrible shape. He is skin and bones, filthy, and has scars all over his ears, one on the top of his head, and his back legs were also covered in scars. I asked her if he had been fought and she said no that he was a family pet. He seemed to have a good nature and temperment about him and inspite of being severely under weight he was very strong. I got him because i couldn't stand leaving knowing what kind of shape he was in. I brought him home bathed him, fed him and spent the evening playing with him. This was sunday. Yesterday when I get home from work I let him in the house. I got to noticing that he seemed to sit down very gingerly. I started feeling around on his legs trying to find out where he was hurting and didn't get any response from the dog. I rolled him over and still didn't see anything at first. Then I saw it. He has a hole in his scrotom sack that looked disgusting. It was bigger than a quarter. I immediately called my mother who is a nurse and she told me what to get for him so I went and got everything. Soaked him in an epsom salt bath, cleaned the wound with hydrogen peroxide to boil it out and then alcohol to sterilize it. then put tripl antibiotic ointment on it. I called the vet's office and their voice mail said he was out of town. He is the only vet that will take pitbullls for about 50 miles and we are currently in our buisiest part of the year at work and I can't get any time off to drive him out of town. What can I do for him? He is such a good boy and doesn't deserve the way he has been treated. First concern is getting him better. Second concern is turning the people that I got him from in for animal cruelty, but all I have is an email and a cell phone number. Does anyone have any advice at all for me. I know me and Brutus would both appreciate it greatly.

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
That is horible. That poor dog I am so glad you took him. I would have too and then wondered later how e would actually fit in my family haha. It sounds like you are doing a good job with cleaning the wound do you have a thermometer? If you do you should take his temp and see if he is running a fever if he is he should have antibiotics. Did this vet leave an emergency number? I have a vet that spends the winter in fl but I an call him and get meds. He is an old timer and know that I know what I am talking about and what I need nt all vets are like this. If not I know you can get some meds over the net just can not remeber what it is called it s used for fish. I will need to find the thread with that info in it.
As far as turning the people in I wouldnt waste yor time. I have done rescue for 30yrs and hardly anyone ever really pas for wat they do to animals. Just know that Karma is while you know and someday they will gets theirs.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I called last and got the voice mail at his office. It didn't leave an emergency number but he has his nurses/ assistants there during the day. I left a mesage explaining exactly what was going on with my number and name for them to call me back this morning. I feel so bad for him. Even as much pain as he's in everytime I get close to him his tail starts wagging like no tomorrow. I just hope he is gonna be ok.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I really just needed someone to reassure me this morning you know. I have never been around anything like this.

·
Super Moderator
4,557 Posts
Contact your local SPCA or shelter and they can direct you to someone who will neuter him for a reasonable price and when they do that they can handle the scrotum issues. Also, they will give antibiotics and likely some pain meds.

PS. Good on you for rescuing him. Those people will get there's eventually.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
If you are not able to get the local spca to help out then you may be able to get the meds at your local feed store.That's what I did when I needed some and couldn't wait on them.
Thanks for helping this poor boy.Good luck!

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
Yes I guess it is too early in te morning. I forgot about the feed store. I have injectable antibiotic on hand here.

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
Your welcome please keep us informed as to how he is doing.

Ask them if they have any SMZ tablets. This is a sulfa based antibiotic and is great for wounds.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Awesome of you for saving him. I just wish you could get him to a vet ASAP because it is the fear of not knowing what maybe wrong with him. Poor thing. It made me sick reading your story. Is he up to date on shots? Did they provide you any paper work? If you are going to file a report of cruelty against them make sure you take pictures of his condition to document the complaint. Please keep us posted on him and put up some pics! I would live to see him :)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good news! The vet had came back into town last night. Today was his first day back at the office. Brutus has an appointment at 2:00. I'm so relieved right now. Will get pics up this evening if he doesn't have to stay overnight at the vet.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Great job on saving him! DO NOT GET HIM fixed now, someone above suggested that. You want to wait till he is all healed up and healthy before they go under surgery or they could get a serious infection. Let us know what the vets says!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When I got home from work to take Brutus to the vet the wound had opened up and he had bled everywhere. He passed away in my bathroom. I am so sick right now. I don't understand how someone could do this to such a sweet and loving animal. I just hope that his last couple of days were good ones. I am tearing up trying to type this right now. Thanks for all the help and support this morning.

·
NO TROLL PASSIN
3,801 Posts
OMG I am sooooo sorry you had to go through this, poor Brutus just know in your heart you probably gave him more love, care and concern then he had received in his life time.
I hope you find some comfort knowing you did the best you could. I'm sorry

·
K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,363 Posts
OMG!!! :confused::mad: I feel ya....... Children, elderly, and animals namely pets: their entire existance depends on us; people taking care of them.. Peace and Blessings be with you!!! Don't doubt yourself you done all you could do; and thats all you can do.. One Love~

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Omg!!!! Whyyyyyyy!!!???!!! Where was he left while you were away at work? Oh man, my heart sank when I read that he is gone :( I am so so sorry. You poor thing trying to do something wonderful and now you have to deal with this. RIP Brutus :(

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I left him in my extra bedroom with food water and his dog bed. Left the air conditioner running for him.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts