Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i took my pitty to get his rabies shot today and the vet was scared of him. all my buddy wanted to do was lick him but the vet could barely give the shot because the vet was shaking so bad... so i looked at him and i was like sir he isnt aggressive and he said thats unusual and as i left i was thinking why did he think my dog is agressive and right at that exaact time i felt a big, slobbery tongue go across my face.

·
SASSY MINX
3,473 Posts
I don't know, I don't feed into those ppl... What is he doing being a vet if he's afraid of a dog?

PPL need to build a bridge already & get over this fear of bully breeds. I'd find a new vet if I were you, call around. I think most ppl are out to play games & PPL like that are only out to create an issue.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
he wasnt my normal vet, they had it at the community center for anyone. my normal vet plays and loves on him and comments on how good of a dog he is... but i agree why is he a vet?

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Id find a new vet JMO . I know of a vet here who asked anyone with pitbulls to muzzle before they even came into the building . I wont muzzle my dog for nothing unless I think there is just cause for it { I wouldnt put my dog or anyone at risk if I thought they would bite or in sooo much pain that they might snap }. And for a vet to say thats unusual? every vet I have talked to here said pitbulls are one of there favourites to work on they have a high threshhold for pain and rarely if ever bite where as most small breeds will , apparently rottis are bad patients as well from what i have heard lol. My vet loves all my dogs and has never asked me to muzzle any of my dogs and there have been numerous shots , stitches { ears and a couple incidents with off leash dogs} ect , he has never even shown fear towards them. I dont like people who are scared of my dogs around them i think its a bad combo , i would find a vet comfortable with the breed and your dogs.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
he wasnt my normal vet, they had it at the community center for anyone. my normal vet plays and loves on him and comments on how good of a dog he is... but i agree why is he a vet?
Oh just read this after I posted lol. ya I wouldnt see that vet again , glad you have a good one who likes your dogs.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i just dont see how you cant love them, they look freight trains runnin at you but as soon as they hit you and that tongue comes out, you cant help but get a big ole' grin on your face

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
How weird. All the vets I have every experienced say they get the most issues from small dogs like Chihuahuas and Cockers rather than Pits, Rotts or dobermans as most people would think.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Stuff like this makes me appreciate having such a good vet.
yeah , my vet was one of the people that talked me into my 2 .. his exact words " dont listen to people , thats jsut the news they see . They are good dogs , dont let anyone tell you otherwise.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
I find that strange too. Surely this vet has been around the breed before.

·
Premium Member
5,100 Posts
Since it was a community center thing maybe he was just a vet tech in training or something doing it for the experience. Either way, an idiot who has no business being around animals if he is going to be afraid of any breed.

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
all the vets and techs I know have told me a lab is more lily to bite them that a pit bull. And a few have been bit, and NONE of their bites were from a pit or a pit mix. I know every situation is different, but most vets know the bad wrap they get, kinda wonder how long the one you saw has dealt with dogs with that reaction. Very weird....

·
Registered
225 Posts
I ran into this too. Vets aren't immune to prejudice
The first vet I brought mine to, wasn't afraid, ( he was 8 weeks at the time), but referred to him as one of a ' biting breed' cautioned me to be very careful, especially exposing him to other people, to get a prong collar and chain lead ( no nylon for pits) told me never to play tug or give chews which would strengthen his jaws, etc.
All I wanted was a worming and shots, so no big deal, but that was the only time I went to him.

·
Registered
73 Posts
i think that for the most part the only pits that get to see a vet are ones owned by responsible owners a pit raised by a responsible owner is for sure safer imo a lab can be all nervous and maybe that lil pinch from a needle can be a bite im not sayin pits dont feel pain but they were bred for years to not hurt people even in pain plus they dont react so much cali s vet gives her a biscuit and the needle the same time she act s like she dosn t feel it , the vet says she more liable to give ya a fat lip while tryin to give kisses lol

·
Registered
22 Posts
The first vet I went to with my dogs muzzled them right when they stepped foot inside! I was shocked and really offended because there sitting were my happy dogs with muzzles on in the waiting room while a DA Lab mix was growling and barking at them and a little Doxie was barking and snarling at every human and dog!

UGH. That was the last of the vet. I took my dogs to another vet (Smith Ridge) and they are amazing.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts