Go Pitbull Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I only feed half raw (for dinner) but I do try to provide decent variety. I don't get anything exotic like emu or buffalo or even rabbit, but I do get the basic domestics like chicken/pork/beef/fish/turkey. Lamb, turkey and canned sardines or tripe cause pretty horrible gas and I have backed off lam entirely. I do occasionally feed sardines and turken necks when I find them on sale but they, too, are pretty gas inducing. i want to maintain variety so I suck it up (well, actually, hold my breath) - but is the pain to my nose worth the variety for my dog? I wonder, too, if it is like eating beans or canteloupe (for me) re having gas pains << don't want to knowingly cause Ruby gas pains tho she has never acted like she has any..... Pork and chicken are fine - I think beef, now, is causing some gas after recent a hamburger + beef kidney meal. :mad:
(???)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Are you feeding raw and kibble at the same time? Since raw digests at a quicker rate than kibble it can cause digestive upset..even gas for some dogs. I know some people who feed both at the same time without any problems but it can be a problem for some dogs. I have fed raw for 6 years (never mixed with kibble) and have never seen my dogs get gas from it. If you are feeding both at the same time, split the meals up so that raw is for breakfast and kibble for dinner or vice versa.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply, SD - but I feed raw and kibble separately - just seems that a couple of meats like lamb cause gas < just read that lamb may not digest nicely among all dogsm, to that makes sense. I don't want to give up vareity tho just cuz I can't breathe ... but I don't want to knowingly be the cause of any gas pains either...

·
Registered
798 Posts
Pork is the worst you can possibly feed your dog. It carries so many things that could get your dog sick. I recommend stop the pork...others are fine. Every so often try giving a tablespoon of plain organic yogurt. Once a week.

Maybe your dog is allergic to the beef?

Gas pains? Most likely a sign of bloating from my understanding, if your dog has gas and is showing signs of pain that is a sign from my understanding
Bloat in Dogs

·
Registered
28 Posts
How long after feeding kibble do you feed raw?

Personally I would drop the kibble and I think most of your problems will go away, you feeding highly digestive foods (RAW) with enzymes then feeding a dry hard to digest food without enzymes. Your confusing the digestive system and it can't figure out how to properly digest which because you keep switching it up.

I feed pork fairly often especially when it's on sale and both my dogs never have gas on it, only raw thing that gives them occasional gas is eggs but only if I do 2+ eggs without a boney meal. I can give just a single egg, or a single egg plus a meaty meal no problem I do 2+ eggs without bone = gas.

Cheers,
Chad

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am 100% confident with modern commercial pork production in America and do not even bother to freeze it first. Tho pork can cause problems with gas/runs in some dogs, it's not a problem for this one. There are no bloating or apparent gas pains (tho I get gas pains when I eat cantaloupe or beans) - I figured if I got them then the process might be similar for other animals... I DID wonder if gas caused by meats = allergy. Only lamb, turkey, canned sardines and now, sometimes, beef cause the stinks. I've still been feeding it all for variety but it stinks pretty bad sometimes. Kibble is always 12 hours apart from raw in this house. Thanks for your replies. I guess none of this is cut and dry and is so individual to the dog......

1 - 6 of 6 Posts