Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I just found a small tick on my dogs inner ear earlier today. Pretty sure it was a deer tick. I removed it completely, cleaned area with alcohol, and put some triple antibiotic cream on it. Dont know how long it was in there but not more than 2 days. There is a small red "bump" where he was dug in, which I would consider normal, but besides that no obvious infection or irritation etc. My question is really does anyone know how likely the tick is to be carrying lyme disease? Do I need to see a Vet asap or should I just wait to see if any symptoms pop up (showing no symptoms at all now)? Thanks to anyone with experience with this.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Don't over worry yourself, this breed is usually very hardy in terms of fighting disease. Lyme disease will make you dog tired, loss of appetite and possible run a fever sometimes dogs can fight it and it will devolp into kidney problems. Lyme disease is out there but the chances are very remote. You said a red bump where the tick was is normal, make sure get the heads out of the dogs. I heat up surgical twezzers when I do it to my dogs, if we are working in the lake or fields I will see one every so often but don't fret, probably nothing at all but keep an eye on it till it goes away or you see more redness, a loss of appetite or extra pink gums(tell sign of problems with dogs)

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
It is not only lymes that you have to worry about there is a tick disease called ehrlichiosis. Mikado had this two years ago. He was fine yes I had pulled a few small deer ticks off him in the past week or so but one evening we had been playing outside then came in to watch a movie when my boy went to get up it was like he was drunk he could stand he fell around I thought he was having a seizure. It was late no EM. Vets around here so I went to bed had him sleep right next to me. The next morning he still had no since of balance. I took him to the vet where I was told he had ehrlichiosis. Mikado was put on three different antibotics and a steriod. The following week my sisters dog Jaantay (Am.Staff) came down with it and a foster dog had it. My vet said that ehrlichiosis was very pervailant around the mid west area.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
yeah my aunt thought if was very unlikely her dog would get it after pulling a tick off and within 24hrs the dog couldn't walk,wouldn't eat,had a fever and on the verge of death come to find out she had lymes disease and sever thousand dollars later the dog is okay but has to take pills for the rest of her life.................. I always say better safe then sorry

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for you answers guys. The bite bump is going away and my boy seems to be doing fine.

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
That is good to hear but I would still watch him closely. i don't nknow how it takes for the symptoms to show up.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes I will be still looking for any infection, rashes, lameness or other symptoms...Vet said it could take up to a few months to show signs, but also that it is unlikely especially bc of how quickly I removed it...Hopefully the odds are in my favor...Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts