Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Premium Member
13,448 Posts
If you do it correctly it is fine but do not call it a tie down that just sounds wrong! lol
If the dog is not on the chain 24/7 and gets regular exercise then chaining can be a good way to keep your dog contained. If the dog is kept on the chain all the time it can develop behavior issues and really it's not good for the mental health of a dog to never get to do anything when they have such high drive.
A dog who gets regular exercise should have no problem on a chain set up.

· Premium Member
9,176 Posts
I dont like it but then again im not in a situation that needs it. I understand if you have DA dogs and lots of them and you do your setup right ok, but majority of what I have seen here is dumb people chaining dogs near trees and things they get hung up on or choked , and dont get attention they need. It is banned here because of that. I say if you have 1 dog it shouldnt need to be chained. can be inside or crated when you are out or in a safe spot fenced yard or dog run. JMO you will get people on here from both sides and Im not arguing its wrong it works for some just not for me.

· Work them Pet Bulls!
3,950 Posts
To each his own but I'm not a fan of it. I used to watch all those animal cops shows and have the pictures in my head of seeing pit bulls neglected on chain setups when the ACO's would rescue them. I didn't grow up with dogs being chained outside. Our dogs were always house dogs and part of the family. I understand there is a right way to chain a dog outside and some people have multiple dogs but it's just not for me. JMO :)

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thats also my opinion if you have to leave or are in a situation that it requires it for a short period of time then thats ok, but i also have seen people here in the city with pitbulls chained up specially with BIG HEAVY chains that look like they came out of ships, but even if you have a lot of dog you can build kennels for each right?

· Premium Member
13,448 Posts
Again we are not talking about ppl who do it wrong. Vixen was on a chain set up for a while because she could get out of anything you put her in. Now she is old and fat and stays in the yard but when she was young it was hard to contain her. My dogs are out side in kennels but a chain set up gives them more room.

· Registered
287 Posts
i think people just see a dog on a chain and jump to negative conclusions immediately. if you were to ask the questions, "does anyone feel that crating a dog is wrong?" you would get a totally different response.

any reasonable means of containment for a dog, when used humanely, is fine. its not cool to leave a dog on a chain all the time and ignore it, nor is it ok to leave a dog in a crate forever and ignore it.

i have used chain set ups in the past and i have found them to be the easiest, most cost effective way to contain your dog and still give them a good amount of freedom to move around. not only that but occasionally you will run into a dog that will just break out of anything else you try to do with them leaving the chain spot to be pretty much your only alternative.

· Registered
4,196 Posts
I think its the owner's responsibility to keep their dog safely contained, and sometimes that involves use of a chain. I always opted to crate my dogs in the house. Some people feel as though that is inhumane. Other people use kennel runs. I don't really care what it is as long as it keeps the dog safe and secure at home. If a person is going to chain the dog, they have to take different precautions than one who keeps their dog inside, but that doesn't make it any less humane IMO. We need to remember, too, that plenty of people keep multiple dogs that don't get along, and they have to use the tools available to them to keep those dogs apart while they're away.

· Premium Member
11,110 Posts
You should check out what the laws are in your state as well. In Massachusetts you can only have a dog tied for 2 hours at a time ( if enforced by ac anyway)

· Registered
6,174 Posts
I think its the owner's responsibility to keep their dog safely contained, and sometimes that involves use of a chain. I always opted to crate my dogs in the house. Some people feel as though that is inhumane. Other people use kennel runs. I don't really care what it is as long as it keeps the dog safe and secure at home. If a person is going to chain the dog, they have to take different precautions than one who keeps their dog inside, but that doesn't make it any less humane IMO. We need to remember, too, that plenty of people keep multiple dogs that don't get along, and they have to use the tools available to them to keep those dogs apart while they're away.
:goodpost:
It's whatever suites your needs and lifestyle with your dogs.Some have no choice but to chain because their dog can break out of a kennel.Or if you own quite a few dogs the cost of chaining them would be a lot less than building all that fencing material to kennel them.

· Premium Member
2,377 Posts
As others have said, if done right, there is absolutely nothing wrong with a good chain set up. It would be my first preference too but the way my yard is set up (too many obstructions, not enough open space) it isn't an option.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.