Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi! My staffy Porter is now 8 months old and 63 lbs. We have feed him Wellness just for puppy since we adopted him @ 2 months of age, lately his stool has been a bit lose and he wants to eat a bit little more than usual(not an alarming amount though), my question: Is this a sign that we should ween him off his puppy food and start him on adult food? (we plan on feeding him innova evo red meat formula)

As always thank you for your comments and recommendations, FIL :)

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
I have fed my last two pups an all life stage food. I don't go the puppy route. I've been feeding blue buffalo grain free since my girl was 4 months. If stool is lose on your pup out of the blue after he's been eating the same food for awhile and he is wanting more to eat I would take a stool sample and do a check for worms. Innova evo is a good food but very high in protein content. If you don't work your dog alot or he isn't very active I would still go grain free but lesser protein like taste of the wild or blue buffalo. JMO :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no worms, but he has had reoccurring lose stool for a couple weeks,i think its time to switch(gut feeling). Porter gets to play on the spring pole & fetch almost every day and gets long walks every other day. btw-love your pit! soo cute!

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
I would switch him. How many cups is he eating now? Be aware that Evo is a very rich food. If he did well on Wellness as a puppy maybe look into feeding Wellness Core. It is a 5 star kibble.

Deb (geisthexe) suggests to switch a dog's kibble the following way:

• Start out 1/2 old kibble and 1/2 new kibble for 3-5 days.

• Get yourself some Pumpkin pie filler and add a tablespoon to each feeding as it will help keep the stool firm and your puppy should adjust easily to the new kibble.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
no worms, but he has had reoccurring lose stool for a couple weeks,i think its time to switch(gut feeling). Porter gets to play on the spring pole & fetch almost every day and gets long walks every other day. btw-love your pit! soo cute!
Thank you :) yeah, I would switch him. Ever since natura was bought out by proctor and gamble I kind of lost faith in there foods. I used to feed evo to my old dog but there are other foods that are just as good if not better. I hear great things about orijen. You may want to look into that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im torn between innova evo and blue buffalo at the moment, Porter does get a decent amount of exercise, I really like in ingredients in both formulas.

Thanks for your help, its always appreciated!

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
Im torn between innova evo and blue buffalo at the moment, Porter does get a decent amount of exercise, I really like in ingredients in both formulas.

Thanks for your help, its always appreciated!
Blue Buffalo Wilderness is their best product. Regular BB only received 3 out of 5 stars.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
after reading about "proctor and gamble" taking over natura i think evo is out of the question now.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
after reading about "proctor and gamble" taking over natura i think evo is out of the question now.
My thoughts exactly lol! Wellness core is a great food as well as BB wilderness so I would go with one of those two :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts