Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1 year old pitbull over 65lbs and although he's great in the house once he's outside he wants to see every person on the street when out for walks. Any animals from tiny birds to ground hogs he will pull a great deal to pursue what's caught his interest. It's almost impossible to get his attention to be on me because he's ALWAYS alert when he's outside and focused on what he could see next. I've purchased a prong collar for him and it's sort of eased his pulling except when he see's someone he knows or another dog he will pull with all his might completely ignoring the fact that the collar is choking him. He's ruined almost every collar we've got which includes snapping the link that attaches the leash to his leather collar. The links on his prong collar are all slowly bending and becoming easy to come off. I've also tried a harnness which he's chewed through.

·
Inkd & Dogs gotta love it
2,074 Posts
I'm am not trying to sound mean so please from the start do not think it, but do you have the prong on correctly? Many put it on incorrect bc they slide it over the head and you are needing to take links out. Also what size of prong did you get?
Info on a correct prong
http://leerburg.com/fit-prong.htm

When the dog pulls, pop leash and turn around with a command of heel or whatever language you are using. You can turn again to keep your walk going but you might have to make a part of your walk pure training.
Also try not walking the dog on a loose lead instead shorten your line so you have a correct correction.
So example if you have a 6' lead cut in half with your hand by putting it about at 3' so you have a lil loose but also a nice firm correction. As the dog learns heel and stays next to you, you can slowly loosen the lead till you are walking on a full loose lead.
Hope the info I have given helps, of you have more questions or questions on what I have proved please feel free to ask

Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
:goodpost:

I also do the u-turn. My boy is easily distracted and dog reactive. After a month of actually listening and understanding how walks can not be about my dog. I never listed to sound advice about having one or 2 spots to take your dog to the bathroom and then walking. Making your dog know you are making the decisions and he should look to you for what to do. In six weeks I have seen a 180 with my dog. He was not as bad as you described but I went through positive training only and tried a few styles to see what works with my boy. Every dog is different.

The prong should not slip down your pups neck. Post a picture if you can. When you walk the leash must be loose. 3 ft Leash and make you dog stay beside or BEHIND you only. Let him know you got this and he can just walk. Take him for 45-60 minute walks. The entire walk you must pop and correct to get your dog beside or behind. He pulls in front, Leash gets tight, pop it or snap it real quick and direct him behind you. Have it loose beside you. He should understand quickly in order to not get popped, or snapped what he needs to do. The bigger the distraction the bigger the snap. You need to meet their attention and focus.

When I told my trainer how great my dog is when I tell him to wait when we get to a cross street so he doesn't go in the street and waits until I say ok, she responded that my boy should not have I be told to wait and walk when we are out. He should know when I stop and when I walk that he is to stop and walk. When we are out and leashed he should look to me, not need instructions. In six weeks my boy is exactly as she said. He is letting me make the decisions and when we have been surprised and approached by off leash pups he walks by without an episode.

Good luck! Don't give up. Put in the hard walking time, and I swear you will see results. Day one walk one with my dog I wanted to die my arm was killing me from having to pull and get my boy behind me. (and my poor pups neck was sooo red made me sad lol) but day 2 it was already better. It takes time and effort but you can do it!!

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Also if you have a knuckel head dog make sure you have the right size. If your prong carll is big and I'm thinking you got the one with big links, they are less corrective. Try taking the links out to make it smaller and fit under the neck and if your do still pulls take back the collar and get the correct size. Small (2.25 mm) fits necks up to 12-13" you can add extra links if you need.

Here is a picture of Tempest and even this collar slid down her neck a bit but look how small the collar is in relation to the dog. The smaller the prongs the more corrective it is.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Have you tried a Halti or Gentle Leader?

This can be a great training tool if you take the time to teach your dog to wear one correctly.

·
Dirty Girl
927 Posts
Also there is nothing wrong in seeking professional help!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts