Go Pitbull Forums banner

Tips for muzzling

Tags
muzzling tips
2K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  BCdogs 
#1 ·
So in a couple of weeks we're all heading down to the city to stay with my family for about 10 days. Super excited, but I'm a little anxious about Squirt being in the city. Last time we took him he was still super young and didn't have issues with reactivity/DA like he does now. Since we're in the country here I can walk him every day without running into a dog, but in the city we're more than likely going to encounter many dogs on our walks.

SO my question is, other than the usual gradual introduction of the basket muzzle with tons of praise, etc., does anyone have any tips on getting him used to it?
What makes it a bit harder is that he's pretty head shy, when we tried to very slowly introduce a halti on him he literally ripped the skin off in between his toes trying to claw it off of his face.

Do you think it's possible to get him used to it in such a short time frame? I wish I could have planned ahead more but time off for the trip just got approved so it's pretty spur of the moment.

Also, if you have any other suggestions other than a muzzle, please feel free to share. I just want to make sure that there are no slip-ups and while it's easy to control his reactivity here it'll probably be pretty over-stimulating for him with everything going on in the city.
Thanks guys!

See less See more
#2 ·
Eh, I'd probably skip it...I'd just walk him on a shorter lead like 4-5ft and when you see a dog you can practice ignoring it with him or.......let him go crazy. LOL! Just kidding :p if he starts barking and going nuts just keep him close and keep walking. The more dogs he passes the more he will get used to seeing all them and might not react as much.

Lucius and Pyra both love to go crazy when they see dogs but usually I keep us all at a steady pace and we pass them quickly, usually with no issues at all :) You might want to try a backpack on him with some water bottles in it so that he feels like he is more in "work mode"

#3 ·
Eh, I'd probably skip it...I'd just walk him on a shorter lead like 4-5ft and when you see a dog you can practice ignoring it with him or.......let him go crazy. LOL! Just kidding :p if he starts barking and going nuts just keep him close and keep walking. The more dogs he passes the more he will get used to seeing all them and might not react as much.

Lucius and Pyra both love to go crazy when they see dogs but usually I keep us all at a steady pace and we pass them quickly, usually with no issues at all :) You might want to try a backpack on him with some water bottles in it so that he feels like he is more in "work mode"
We already use a backpack and water bottles and it definitely tires him out which also reduces his reactivity. He's usually great at ignoring other dogs around here because if he does see them, chances are they're dogs he's used to seeing. I'm just worried about his ability to focus in a new area with new dogs, you know? A shorter lead is a good idea. In most cases if he's being a real shithead and won't snap out of it I just grab him by the collar until whatever it is has passed or use a squirt bottle.

I want to get him used to a muzzle either way, he's such a weirdo about stuff on his face though. Lol.

#4 ·
Don't use a standard muzzle. Try a greyhound muzzle. They come in colors and are very soft. Also you might want to look into a harness that has a top handle. This way if you are having a hard time getting him focused on moving forward, you can grab onto the handle and assist him forward.

#5 ·
I'll have to look up a greyhound muzzle, I've never heard of it. He has a pretty broad head but it slims a lot at his muzzle so hopefully I can find something that fits properly. He does also have a harness that's easy to get ahold of so that's a good idea too.

I guess my main concern is off-leash dogs trying to approach us. I'm going to stay faaaaar away from any off leash areas but there's always the chance of there being that one person with an off-leash dog in a residential area. The muzzle would be more for my peace of mind that no accident can happen if someone does happen to have a loose dog.

I think you're right though, Coach. I probably won't end up being able to use it for the trip either way because Squirt is so anxious about stuff on his face. It takes a lot longer for him to adjust to new things than most dogs. I was just hoping someone had a trick to make it a positive experience that I haven't heard of yet. I'm just a worrywart as usual, lol!

#6 · (Edited)
Desensitizing is the best way to go about it. I think all dogs should be used to a muzzle you never know when an emergency might occur as you need to be in close quarters with lots of dogs and people. You can put aluminum foil on the outside and freeze peanut butter and treats on the inside so it gets then used to putting their muzzle inside. Took me about 8 days to get Gargamel to wear the muzzle. I think It's great for lowering the handlers anxiety which will make the dog relax by default. I would also carry pepper spray. We have have to use it three times to avoid potential incidents. There is a strict leash law in my city and I only go to place where a leash is required. So I carry my mugger fogger (which is different than traditional sprays since it's a fog the dog runs through and you don't have to worry about a stream going in their nose or eyes. Running through the fog all three dogs have changed course as ran back to their owners. I'm sure it may not work all the time but it hasn't failed yet (knock on wood)

Mugger fogger goes 8-10 feet and jogger fogger goes 10-15 feet.

https://store.udap.com/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=3PWH&Category_Code=

Sent from Petguide.com App so please excuses the typos

#8 ·
Thank you, Ames! Both great ideas. I never would have thought of the tin foil but that could make a big difference. I definitely want to get him used to it even if it isn't just for the trip. I'm thinking it's going to take quite a bit longer.

I've been toying with the idea of pepper spray, but I'm not really worried about aggressive dogs approaching us, more so friendly dogs approaching MY dog aggressive dog, so I'd feel terrible for spraying them just for coming to say hi. I've never heard of muggers fogger but that sounds like an awesome alternative. In the case that it was an aggressive dog approaching then I wouldn't hesitate to use pepper spray, I'd just prefer something less painful for if it's just some sweet puppy trying to meet my dog who happens to not be okay with it, you know?

A few months ago I wouldn't have been so worried, but his DA has very quickly progressed from selective to 99% of the dogs he sees. Thankfully his reactivity has decreased just as quickly from working with him consistently.

#10 ·
I hear you. But in all honesty how can you tell if a dog is aggressive or not jut in approach. I have seen some pretty good signals from a dog an then BAM he turned on right when he go to the pup he was zoned in on.

So even if the dog is friendly and your dog isn't, a bath is a hell of a lot cheaper than a vet bill. But I hear what you are saying. At this point I know that dog who approach us off leash will end bad. It's a given. I'm glad you all aren't there yet lol

I also worry about muzzle and my not not able to defend himself. It's so hard, I want everyone to be safe and have a good walk

#11 ·
I have had dogs running up to us looking as friendly as can be, then right when they get to us they switch to attack mode. Luckily the couple times that has happened Deuce was able to get the dog off him and pinned to the ground before I could even help him. Now he thinks every dog wants to attack him, but now we have the spray and he has learned that I will protect him. He still HATES off leash dogs, he knows when they have the ability to get to us or not.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

#12 ·
That's a good point, I guess I can't be totally sure they are friendly. And either way, no matter how friendly they are, Squirt immediately growls and tries to lunge at any dog that approaches us. He's not bothered when passing leashed dogs anymore but our neighbour's dogs jumped the fence and nipped him one day and he's 100% DA to every loose dog since. I don't blame him at all. Definitely going to look in to getting the fogger if not pepper spray as well.

Thanks for all the suggestions. :)

#15 ·
That's what I struggle with as well. Mind over matter. I tell myself all the time lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.