Go Pitbull Forums banner

Tips on placing a dog in a new home

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Firehazard 
#1 ·
Hey Everyone,
I am new here. I recently stumbled upon a dog for sale that needed a home. Since I cannot keep him due to a couple reasons on my part (nothing to do with the dog) i'd like to assist his owner in finding him a new home.

- What should I look for in the new family?
- How do I get I advertise the dog in my area?
- What are signs that the family is NOT capable of caring for a dog?
- How do I get the dog and new family to meet correctly?

#2 ·
Well for starters I would look to house the pup in a setting where there are no other dogs. People are stupid...don't give them the chance to prove it to you.

Go with your gut. Talk to the potential future owners...if they don't seem ignorant or drastically uneducated then I would set up a meet. Possibly in a neutral place would be fine. A park or backyard etc..

Also, consider living situations....don't give the dog up to someone in a filthy house or small apartment etc...don't set the dog up for failure.

As far as advertising I would put a post on craigslist but filter out the scumbags and riff raff. Go with your gut regarding the responses you get, hopefully you have a good judge of character :pup:

#4 ·
I also know people who chip the dog to themselves so if it ever escapes the yard or ends up in a shelter (you can tell people to being the dog back to you but you would be surprised the number of people who drop instead of returning)

Or if the dog gets loose AC calls you so you can go find out how the dog escaped in the first place.

Sent from Petguide.com App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.