Go Pitbull Forums banner

Tips on potty training and walking on a leash.

2K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  PerfectPit 
#1 · (Edited)
I have two new puppies and I was wondering the best potty training tips. and also how to get your pup to walk on a leash. Mine both dont mind the leash being on as long as they can still walk where they wish but it's when you try to direct them that they mind they will just sit and not move at alll. how can I make them walk where i want them to? like down the road like a normal dog? lol dumb questions with probably simple answers but I figured i'd ask anyway. and also one more thing i also have a runner out back for my older dog and i tried the puppies on it and as soon as they run out of room to not be able to go any further they just keep pulling and strangle them selfs so i just take them right back of, how can i get them used to it?
thanks guys.
:confused:

#3 ·
Walk a tiny bit away from them and call them in a happy voice. When they get to you give them a treat. You can also try and lure them along with the treat while you take one or two steps. Then praise. Once they get the idea they should walk with you.

#4 ·
With young pups its all about repetition, routine and praise. The actual order you do things in is not as important as you doing it the same way every time, every day.

With potty training, we used the newspaper method. We put sheets of newspaper on the floor and praised them when they "went" on them. We gradually reduced the number of sheets on the floor and moved the remaining ones closer to the door until they were outside. Shouldn't take too long.

Walking on a leash is all about the treats and praise. You use the treats to lure them along the way you want them to go and give them lots and lots of praise. The praise should be in a high pitched "girly" voice (trust me) as its the best kind of voice they respond to. You will feel like a bit of a weirdo if you're a guy but it works.

#7 ·
I grabbed a nice 2" collar from stillwater kennel supply so my pup would stop choking itself out. He would pull till he passed out and fell over then when he got up he would start stumbling around like he was drunk... Usually when there was a squirrel or something he wanted.

#10 · (Edited)
Oh, sorry mate I should have known what you meant. I've never used a runner set up but I really like the idea and if I had a bigger backyard, I wouldn't mind having the dogs on something similar. But yeah, maybe try a wider collar like A-Train said so that he doesn't choke himself so easily.

And that has to be the best picture I've seen on here BTW.

#13 ·
Are your two pups littermates?? I got my two pups at the same time and they're littermates. They're 10 months old now.

Good luck. You'll need it with two little rascals running around. Trust me. There were some days I questioned whether I still loved them. ;) Luckily enough, they're getting fewer and far between, lol.

For one of my pups, Kane, all the luring and happy praise wouldn't get him anywhere if he didn't want to go. He would just plop himself on the ground and look up at me with the most pathetic eyes. Eventually it got to the point where I just had to put my foot down against his stubbornness and drag him down the street. I got a few looks for sure, from people wondering what I was doing to this poor dog, but after a few days, he realized that by following me, he could see really exciting stuff and it was smooth sailing from there. I just made sure to take him to really exciting places where he could snuffle around in tall grass or meet other people, which he really enjoyed.

The biggest potty training tip I can give you is to take them out often. I don't know how old they are, but the general rule is that they can hold it for as long as their age in months: if they're two months, they can hold it two hours (if in a crating situation), but it's usually safer when they're that age to take them out more often. Basically, you want to take them out after waking up from a nap/sleep, eating (especially), and a playing session. We usually took ours out every 1/2 an hour - 45 mins.

You could also work on teaching them to give you a signal when they have to go. We never taught our pups that and now, 10 months later, we have to be really observant because they have very subtle signals as to when they need to go. They both just kind of sidle up near our general area, looking like they're in trouble with their ears back and their eyes really wide, staying low to the ground. "Mom mom we have to go really bad can you let us out please oh god." lol.

#14 ·
That was some good information, yes they are littermates I got me a boy and a girl; zeek and zora. Cant help when you fall in love with two at the same time right. well anywho my boy is good with the treats you give him a treat to follow and he thinks he's on top of the world my girl nottt so much she is much more stubborn and i wasnt to sure about the dragging method lol but it seems that's the way its gonna have to be for her. I feel bad because i believe she thinks she is in trouble. I think i will have to do it that way until she gets used to it though. Thanks!!

#15 ·
Just make sure you take the time to stop and let her sniff around. I realize now my comment could be misconstrued as that I was just dragging poor Kane along for a block or two. But I would drag him a few feet and let him stop and sniff around, and that seemed to help draw him out more too, and be inclined to walk on his own. It's easier when there's more interesting things to sniff out there than the same pebble that's been in your driveway for 5 years.

#17 ·
For potty training I recommend a crate. Leave them in the crate, close to you and let them out when you want them to go. Take them from the crate to where you want them to go. As they grow they can hold it in more. I know it's frustrating but they pick up easily.

#18 ·
With Beastley, I carried a favorite treat(s) in the hand with the leash. I started out in a sit position then start my walk for a few feet stop and let him sniff. I then say "come" and start walking. I praised every few feet then stop. Let sniff, say sit, then come and we kept repeating it. Now I have gotten to the point while walking I would all of a sudden turn in another direction and say come. He now walks happily by my side.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.