Go Pitbull Forums banner

Tips to stop biting

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  jttar 
#1 ·
Any suggestions to get my puppy to stop biting? She is 12 weeks old and I know its a puppy thing, but I feel it is a bit excessive and more than "this is just what puppies do" type of thing.

I have a ton of chew toys for her and she is walked every day, sometimes twice a day. But she still seems to love flesh instead of her toys and bones.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

#2 ·
Usually this is a result of the pup being taken from the liter before it is taught bite inhibition but some pups are just feisty and need to learn that this is not acceptable behavior.

When the dog is "mouthy" with you or your hands give it a firm "NO" and try substituting with a toy or bone. If the behavior continues, a firm "NO" and turn and walk away from the dog. After it calms down attempt to engage it again in a calm matter. When it starts biting you or your clothes repeat the process. Basically, the pup needs to learn that this is not permitted and if it bites it gets no attention.
Before you attempt to train it to do anything take it for a walk or exercise it until it's tires. They learn easier when they are not so full of energy.
It won't happen in a day but these dogs want only to please their owners and once it realizes what it is you want, or don't want, it will do it happily. (most of the time, LOL)

Joe

#4 ·
Yes, she was taken from the litter too early due to the mama rejecting them and harming the pups. She was rehomed at 3 weeks is what I was told when we got her.

Thanks for the tips.
The mother and the pups siblings teach the puppy not to bite in the first eight weeks of life. When the pup is taken out of the pack, as in her case, she never learned not to bite. Some will advise, when she nips you loudly say "ouch" but it has been my experience that a dog quickly learns the word "no". When you do have to use the word "NO" don't say it softly, say it loud to startle the dog. Let it know that biting is not playing and is not allowed-- anytime. Please keep us updated on how the bite training is going.

Joe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.