Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Started this to not thread jack the other post.

Posted by Gesithexe

Originally Posted by OldFortKennels
ADBA is IMO the most recognized for the APBT world.

http://www.adbadog.com/p_pdetails.asp?fspid=100

I know alot of people here show UKC and I don't want to step on toes but the one thing I do not like about the UKC in Weight Pull is you can have a
CH-WP dog and never have placed in the top 3. By giving points to the dog regardless of how it placed, if you go to enough shows eventually you will get a CH-WP dog, so it kind of negates the validity of the CH status IMO.
As I understand it.
Andy

You could not be more wrong
APA = I pull can get you a title 12x WP1, 18x WP2, 23x WP3
IWPA = 4 pulls 12x body weight = WD1 / 4 pulls 18x body weight = WD2 / 3 pulls 23x body weight = WD3
UKC Qualifying title
- 3 pulls pulling 8x the body weight

Points after qualify
- Wheels
* 10x body weight = 5 points
* 15x body weight = 10 points
* 25x body weight = 15 points
* 35x body weight = 20 points
- Rails
* 20x body weight = 5 points
* 25x body weight = 10 points
* 35x body weight = 15 points
* 45x body weight = 20 points
- Snow
* 5x body weight = 5 points
* 7x body weight = 10 points
* 10x body weight = 15 points
* 15x body weight = 20 points
- Most weight pulled
* received an extra 5 points
- Most weight pulled per body weight

United Weight Pull Champion (UWPCH) = 100 points
United Weight Pull Champion Excellent (UWPCHX) = additional 250 points
United Weight Pull Champion Versatile (UWPCHV) = additional 100 points also
have pulled on two different types of vehicles (ex wheels & rails)
United Weight Pull Champion Outstanding (UWPCHO) = additional 100 points
United Weight Pull Champion Supreme (UWPCHS) = additional 100 points also
have pulled on all three different types of vehicles (wheels, rails & sled)

Pulling is about seeing what your dog can do not glorify the ones that have been pulling for years. I myself do not agree with ADBA not to mention they are jacked due to them opening there registry but not allowing the breeds to do jack at them. I have been asked by them to join there registry WHY is what I have stated due to not allowing my Presas or Staffies to pull. Are the clubs actually that affraid that other breeds will come still there titles>??

I love the way UKC has there titles it means you have to work your dog and prove your dog can gain these titles, Not to mention they have there ALL STARS which they have a Section for APBTs, American Bulldogs and other breeds. they take the first 25 with the most points and they get to do a pull off at Premier.

Deb

·
Premium Member
4,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Posted by OFK

Points after qualify
- Wheels
* 10x body weight = 5 points
* 15x body weight = 10 points
* 25x body weight = 15 points
* 35x body weight = 20 points
- Rails
* 20x body weight = 5 points
* 25x body weight = 10 points
* 35x body weight = 15 points
* 45x body weight = 20 points
- Snow
* 5x body weight = 5 points
* 7x body weight = 10 points
* 10x body weight = 15 points
* 15x body weight = 20 points
- Most weight pulled
- Most weight pulled per body weight
My point exactly. You could have a dog on a wheeled track only ever pull
10x his body weight
20 times and its a CH, Same for a dog on rails....etc. Every dog can get a title so why would a CH be special???
I love the way UKC has there titles it means you have to work your dog and prove your dog can gain these titles
IMO pulling 10x your body weight 20 times doenst constitute a title or worthy of a title. I think points should only be awarded to 1-3, ribbons to the rest. YOu could have the worst pulling dog in the country but go to enough shows and they give it a CH title.

So its really a meaningless title. For example I know a guy whos dog pulled at several shows with us and it never took a first or second, however he went to the UKC and his dog is in the top 25, the All Stars???
What title means more, one that any dog can get given the go to enough shows or a CH title where you must get 100 points by placing in the top 3 where the point system is 8 points for first, 5 for second and 3 for 3rd. Takes a really good dog and some time to get it this way!

Pulling is about seeing what your dog can do not glorify the ones that have been pulling for years
True but why give them a title if they are not the best at it? Champion should mean BEST.

·
Premium Member
4,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
posted by OFK

When it comes to showing I think the NKC is the toughest. You have to get 100 points, 1-3 and have to have at least 2 majors after a year of age or 1 best in show.!!

For example Switch has the points already but still needs a major to be a show CH.

·
Premium Member
4,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Posted by Geisthexe

Quote:
My point exactly. You could have a dog on a wheeled track only ever pull
10x his body weight
20 times and its a CH, Same for a dog on rails....etc. Every dog can get a title so why would a CH be special???
IMO pulling 10x your body weight 20 times doenst constitute a title or worthy of a title. I think points should only be awarded to 1-3, ribbons to the rest. YOu could have the worst pulling dog in the country but go to enough shows and they give it a CH title.
So its really a meaningless title. For example I know a guy whos dog pulled at several shows with us and it never took a first or second, however he went to the UKC and his dog is in the top 25, the All Stars???
What title means more, one that any dog can get given the go to enough shows or a CH title where you must get 100 points by placing in the top 3 where the point system is 8 points for first, 5 for second and 3 for 3rd. Takes a really good dog and some time to get it this way!

True but why give them a title if they are not the best at it? Champion should mean BEST.
In all things titles take time and so does a dog getting better at something
so you can go against UKC pulls all you want. I will still like them b/c I CAN PULL ALL MY DOGS FROM MY STAFFIES TO MY PIT TO MY PRESAS but what the ABDA pulls are nothing more then a little glory for pits that have been pulling for years and do not allow the newbies to get any glory. Oh and hmm I did read in ABDA WP Rules, they do not use any other vehicles but rails. Why is that??? At least in UKC you have to prove your dog can pull other things besides just one.
Now wouldnt that prove a better weight puller?
And if you would have actually read my post you would have seen that they have MANY titles to prove the dog. Again pulling a dog with UKC and what that dog can do.

And to burst your bubble but AKC is the HARDEST place to get titles in.

So why not answer me why ABDA Clubs will not allow other breeds???
Are the big pullers afraid of the big dogs walking in and taking there titles??
Andy I would love to know. Is the ABDA pit world that afraid???

May I suggest you get your temper # from UKC and actually go to a pull and see what they are about before you just sit here and bash them.
I would love to pull ABDA if they would open there door so I can see what they are all about. But that will NEVER happen. What a SHAME!

Deb

·
Premium Member
4,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Posted by OFK

And to burst your bubble but AKC is the HARDEST place to get titles in.
The AKC doesn't show APBT...........so that was kinda irrelevant.

May I suggest you get your temper # from UKC and actually go to a pull and see what they are about before you just sit here and bash them.
Another kennel friend did, CH-WP from no leg to CH in 3 shows........

but what the ABDA pulls are nothing more then a little glory for pits that have been pulling for years and do not allow the newbies to get any glory.
Again a friend with RCK their dog Ace'd in the ADBA and is just 2 years of age........

I did read in ABDA WP Rules, they do not use any other vehicles but rails. Why is that??? At least in UKC you have to prove your dog can pull other things besides just one.
Dont know, would be fun on other surfaces too. You dont really have to prove anything, just about any dog can pull 10x its body weight, just do it enough times.

And if you would have actually read my post you would have seen that they have MANY titles to prove the dog. Again pulling a dog with UKC and what that dog can do.
I did and to get any of those titles in WP just go to enough shows...........

I will still like them b/c I CAN PULL ALL MY DOGS FROM MY STAFFIES TO MY PIT TO MY PRESAS
That is nice of the UKC,

So why not answer me why ABDA Clubs will not allow other breeds???
For the longest time, since 1973 its been specifically APBT, orginally in 1909 it was all breed. Recently it has gone back to All Breed but clubs are slow to organize. The clubs that are currently organized are APBT specific therefore so are their shows. I would imagine in the near future you will see all breed clubs forming. Same as AADR I would say.

Andy I would love to know. Is the ABDA pit world that afraid???
.....uh no..............

As I said its my opinion and based on what I have seen it wont change.

Why do you have a problem with points being awarded only to the best 3? I mean if they are CH pull dogs and the title is for CH why should any dog be able to get it? It kinda destroys the whole concept of CH Dog?????

ACE ---as defined by webster---
: a person who excels at something

CHAMPION----
a winner of first prize or first place in competition; also : one who shows marked superiority

So not just anyone should be awarded such titles.

·
Inkd & Dogs gotta love it
2,074 Posts
OldFortKennels said:
The AKC doesn't show APBT...........so that was kinda irrelevant.
Actually it is not irrelevant as you and most others know that Pit bulls and AmStaffs are being dual registered so many of your AKC judges are judging Pit bulls in the ring. just as other registries are doing it as well.

And I just stated them b/c they are the hardest out of all the registries.

OldFortKennels said:
Another kennel friend did, CH-WP from no leg to CH in 3 shows........
Are you sure he got a UWPCH and not a UWP (qualifying title) b/c you can get your UWP title in 3 pulls.
Your friends dog would have had to pull at the most weight pulled
CART = 35x body weight only getting 20 points
RAILS = 45x body weight only getting 20 points
SLED = 15x body weight only getting 20 points.
Each one of there pulls you only get to max out at 20 points, unless you received Most Weight Pulled or Most Weight Pulled by body weight and they both = to 5 points
SO no where your friend received a CH title in Weight pull

OldFortKennels said:
Again a friend with RCK their dog Ace'd in the ADBA and is just 2 years of age........
Thats great good for him

OldFortKennels said:
Dont know, would be fun on other surfaces too. You dont really have to prove anything, just about any dog can pull 10x its body weight, just do it enough times.
But not all dogs will pull on other surfaces and if that dog is only pulling 10x body damn it will take over 2 yrs to get his title unless there was a pull every weekend. Damn I wish there was pulls every weekend or every other weeekend :D

OldFortKennels said:
I did and to get any of those titles in WP just go to enough shows...........
Oh and umm you can not just go pull and get those titles NOT all dogs will pull rails or sled. So not all titles will get award.

OldFortKennels said:
That is nice of the UKC,
Dont you think it is fair that other dogs pull. or are you one of those that think only the pits should be there?

OldFortKennels said:
For the longest time, since 1973 its been specifically APBT, orginally in 1909 it was all breed. Recently it has gone back to All Breed but clubs are slow to organize. The clubs that are currently organized are APBT specific therefore so are their shows. I would imagine in the near future you will see all breed clubs forming. Same as AADR I would say.
I truly believe when ABDA decided to go all breed they should have made there clubs do the same MY OPINION

OldFortKennels said:
.....uh no..............

As I said its my opinion and based on what I have seen it wont change.
What have you seen NOTHING cuz you wont even give it a chance to see. Isnt pulling suppose to be fun?????

OldFortKennels said:
Why do you have a problem with points being awarded only to the best 3? I mean if they are CH pull dogs and the title is for CH why should any dog be able to get it? It kinda destroys the whole concept of CH Dog?????
I do not have a problem with it. I believe that all the different pull organizations have decided to make there own rules and all have been fun to go too. And like I stated before if ABDA would allow other dogs to pull I would be there. Why not get your club your in to allow other breeds. Then let me know when the pull is. I will register and be there!

OldFortKennels said:
ACE ---as defined by webster---
: a person who excels at something

CHAMPION----
a winner of first prize or first place in competition; also : one who shows marked superiority
Thanks for the definations. Why are you so down on dogs getting there titles if they get better and better at pulling as they go. Not all dogs jump right to it some move a bit slower and then learn as they go. I have seen dogs come off of being slow and now are DAMN good pullers and these definations can stand for them as well.

OldFortKennels said:
So not just anyone should be awarded such titles.
Well this can go for you as well. Why are you so against coming and getting titles on your dogs if they are so great bring them to the UKC pull on all the different vehicles and prove that your dogs are the best to get those titles.

·
Premium Member
4,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Are you sure he got a UWPCH and not a UWP (qualifying title) b/c you can get your UWP title in 3 pulls.
Your friends dog would have had to pull at the most weight pulled
CART = 35x body weight only getting 20 points
RAILS = 45x body weight only getting 20 points
SLED = 15x body weight only getting 20 points.
Each one of there pulls you only get to max out at 20 points, unless you received Most Weight Pulled or Most Weight Pulled by body weight and they both = to 5 points
SO no where your friend received a CH title in Weight pull
Yeah First show, 3 pulls UWP

Next two shows, 6 pulls CH dog, 45x body weight x 6 pulls is 120 points.

But not all dogs will pull on other surfaces and if that dog is only pulling 10x body damn it will take over 2 yrs to get his title unless there was a pull every weekend. Damn I wish there was pulls every weekend or every other weeekend
7- 3 day shows and you got it

Oh and umm you can not just go pull and get those titles NOT all dogs will pull rails or sled. So not all titles will get award.
I agree whole heartedly, my point is that you can have a CH title and never place 1-3 or win a single trophy.

Dont you think it is fair that other dogs pull. or are you one of those that think only the pits should be there?
I think it would be perfectly fair, I also think that Specific shows are fine also. If you dont like it then dont show in that association.

What have you seen NOTHING cuz you wont even give it a chance to see. Isnt pulling suppose to be fun?????
Pulling is fun, I dont think titles should should be given away either, Just like I dont think everyone should get an "A" in school, I think it should be earned.
Thanks for the definations. Why are you so down on dogs getting there titles if they get better and better at pulling as they go. Not all dogs jump right to it some move a bit slower and then learn as they go. I have seen dogs come off of being slow and now are DAMN good pullers and these definations can stand for them as well.
Well why wouldnt it make sense then for the dogs to get the points once they have gotten good? By your own admision they are giving points to dogs that need to improve but yet they are getting points.
Well this can go for you as well. Why are you so against coming and getting titles on your dogs if they are so great bring them to the UKC pull on all the different vehicles and prove that your dogs are the best to get those titles.
We have gone to one that was close but they didnt have a WP, We did however enter the Conformation Show and Rebel took Best Male.

As I have stated the UKC titles are meaningless to me so they are not a priority. Once my dogs have gotten their titles in the ADBA and NKC (which by the way is all breed so you are more than welcome) I will then turn to the UKC. Funds is another reason.

PLEASE DO NOT THINK THAT I DO NOT BELIEVE THERE ARE GREAT PULLING DOGS IN THE UKC!!! That is not at all what I am trying to say. What I am saying is the title that the GREAT PULLING DOGS IN THE UKC HAVE dont mean so much because a poor pulling dog can have one too, so what is to differentiate the two dogs?

What it boils down to....I dont think just any dog should be given a CH title. I think the dog should be a CH DOG and not all dogs are CH quality pulling dogs. I do not believe that a dog that DOES NOT PLACE IN THE TOP 3 IN WP SHOULD BE GIVEN A TITLE OF CHAMPION PULL DOG!!!! That is my problem with the UKC plain and simple. If I dont have a dog that can place in the top 3 my dog does not deserve to be a CHWP, that just doesn't make sense. This is why the titles are irrelevant to me. So what a dog is CH in the UKC, it may be a great dog, then again it may just be an average dog that went to enough shows.

·
Premium Member
4,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Anyone else have any thoughts on this issue, feel free to chime in. Both Geisthexe and I are simply debating and all is civil, no hard feelings here so feel free to give your imput. I for one would like to hear from others.

·
2,074 Posts
OldFortKennels said:

Wouldn't that indicate a good puller if he/she is pulling 45x its body weight??
I believe it would!

OldFortKennels said:
7- 3 day shows and you got it
I agree but if you think about it, if a dog is only pulling that much most of them shut down and will not pull at all. Not to mention UKC does not do at least on the east coast 2 shows that I know of that have 3 pulls in one weekend. And another most people in the south do not travel to the North E and visa versa.

OldFortKennels said:
I agree whole heartedly, my point is that you can have a CH title and never place 1-3 or win a single trophy.
I wish the UKC gave out trophies.
but let me give you an example in my world of weight pulling. I never have dogs in my catagory 125 lbs so in that case who would I be beating to get 1st place? No one unless I bring another dog in that weight catagory. So for me My dogs would NEVER place with ADBA b/c of lack of interest from big dog owners.

OldFortKennels said:
I think it would be perfectly fair, I also think that Specific shows are fine also. If you dont like it then dont show in that association.
Hun, I fully agree with specific specialities being put on and having own breed pulls but if the organization has opened it doors then they should make the clubs do it as well. And your statement about not liking it, well how can I say I dont want to decide not to pull for them if they do not give me the chance to be there?

OldFortKennels said:
Pulling is fun, I dont think titles should should be given away either, Just like I dont think everyone should get an "A" in school, I think it should be earned.
Again, you are missing the point about the other titles UKC gives, this is why they have many other titles for the dog to prove itself.
If you think about it, dogs win in shows that should NEVER win a breed. Due to lack of meeting standards.

OldFortKennels said:
Well why wouldnt it make sense then for the dogs to get the points once they have gotten good? By your own admision they are giving points to dogs that need to improve but yet they are getting points.
Again, you are missing the point, it takes time for a dog to understand and get good, just like a kid being on a baseball team, he may never get out on the field but he still has to bat, he may get walked or strike out but should that team win b/c he is not a good enough player? No I think not.

OldFortKennels said:
We have gone to one that was close but they didnt have a WP, We did however enter the Conformation Show and Rebel took Best Male.
Congrats! tell me did Rebel deserve to win? I bet he did and I bet he actaully looked like a pit in the ring. Correct??

OldFortKennels said:
As I have stated the UKC titles are meaningless to me so they are not a priority. Once my dogs have gotten their titles in the ADBA and NKC (which by the way is all breed so you are more than welcome) I will then turn to the UKC. Funds is another reason.
Ok so they are meaningless to you but to most that are with them they mean the world, just like for me, as I do not have many places I can do things with my dogs as not enough are doing anything or they are showing only with AKC.
And about NKC well darlin I will be there after Premier for UKC as I plan on pulling and showing with them.

OldFortKennels said:
PLEASE DO NOT THINK THAT I DO NOT BELIEVE THERE ARE GREAT PULLING DOGS IN THE UKC!!! That is not at all what I am trying to say. What I am saying is the title that the GREAT PULLING DOGS IN THE UKC HAVE dont mean so much because a poor pulling dog can have one too, so what is to differentiate the two dogs?
It all depends on how you look at the difference as I see the difference when they move on to get better and better titles. But see I see the cup half full when it comes to the titles of UKC not them half empty

Andy do me a favor and explain more about the 1st thru 3rd. Are they are each weight catagory or is it for over all?
B/c if it is over all then dogs like my staffie would have a very hard time EVER getting a 1st thru 3rd.

Deb

What it boils down to....I dont think just any dog should be given a CH title. I think the dog should be a CH DOG and not all dogs are CH quality pulling dogs. I do not believe that a dog that DOES NOT PLACE IN THE TOP 3 IN WP SHOULD BE GIVEN A TITLE OF CHAMPION PULL DOG!!!! That is my problem with the UKC plain and simple. If I dont have a dog that can place in the top 3 my dog does not deserve to be a CHWP, that just doesn't make sense. This is why the titles are irrelevant to me. So what a dog is CH in the UKC, it may be a great dog, then again it may just be an average dog that went to enough shows.[/QUOTE]

·
2,074 Posts
OldFortKennels said:
Anyone else have any thoughts on this issue, feel free to chime in. Both Geisthexe and I are simply debating and all is civil, no hard feelings here so feel free to give your imput. I for one would like to hear from others.
OFK dont you know we are beating each other down and being mean .. cuz my feelings are hurt dammit LOL :snap:

I would love to see others give some imput on the matter. Not to mention seeing if we have some other pullers here.

Please post

Deb

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
I for one would love to get into to pulling but since I live in MN and have yet to hear of any WP shows here I think it is out of the question for me. I did enjoy your debate and I did learn alot so if by some chance there is achance for me and my dogs I will at least know something.

·
Premium Member
4,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Wouldn't that indicate a good puller if he/she is pulling 45x its body weight??
I believe it would!
Yeah Actually the dog did it in less as it took 1st once and placed all times.*

but let me give you an example in my world of weight pulling. I never have dogs in my catagory 125 lbs so in that case who would I be beating to get 1st place? No one unless I bring another dog in that weight catagory. So for me My dogs would NEVER place with ADBA b/c of lack of interest from big dog owners.
Actually if you go down to TX there are alot of 100 LB+ dogs and there were several in NC. Also you would be competing against all dogs 75lbs and over. And in the ADBA its body pound so you could compete just fine.

Again, you are missing the point about the other titles UKC gives, this is why they have many other titles for the dog to prove itself.
If you think about it, dogs win in shows that should NEVER win a breed. Due to lack of meeting standards.
I must have missed something, all Im talking about is WP.

Again, you are missing the point, it takes time for a dog to understand and get good, just like a kid being on a baseball team, he may never get out on the field but he still has to bat, he may get walked or strike out but should that team win b/c he is not a good enough player? No I think not
I dont think Im missing the point. Of course the kid should get to bat but not be called an all star just because he got to bat enough and did the minimum enough.

Congrats! tell me did Rebel deserve to win? I bet he did and I bet he actaully looked like a pit in the ring. Correct??
I thought so but Im biased!!:roll:

Ok so they are meaningless to you but to most that are with them they mean the world, just like for me, as I do not have many places I can do things with my dogs as not enough are doing anything or they are showing only with AKC.
And about NKC well darlin I will be there after Premier for UKC as I plan on pulling and showing with them.
Can I honestly ask you a question. Im sure you have great dogs, Im not questioning that and I dont know what Titles your dogs have but would they not mean more to you if not EVERYONE COULD GET ONE???? What makes the title special? What gives it its worth if anyone can do it? Thats my point. I dont know, You could very well have dogs that would be titled even if they only gave points for 1-3 and wouldnt that then mean something??? Im just saying when someone tells me they have a UKC CHWP dog it doesn't really tell me anything about that dog. Now in the ADBA they say they have an ACE I know it is an above average dog.

Andy do me a favor and explain more about the 1st thru 3rd. Are they are each weight catagory or is it for over all?
B/c if it is over all then dogs like my staffie would have a very hard time EVER getting a 1st thru 3rd.
Yess it is 1-3 in each weight class, male and female, 8,5,3 points respectively with additional points for BODY POUND 54 and under 55 and over. I believe its 10 points for the body pound.

Classes are
35 and under
35-45
45-55
55-65
65-75
and 75 and over.

·
Premium Member
4,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
By the way I really do hope you can make some of our NKC shows. I think you will have a blast and it would be great to meet another WP enthusiast who is out working their dogs!!! Oh and I think we should have enough weight for your big boys. I think we now have close to 10,000lbs.

·
2,074 Posts
OldFortKennels said:
Yeah Actually the dog did it in less as it took 1st once and placed all times.*
So are you saying that dog was a good puller or just ok?

OldFortKennels said:
Actually if you go down to TX there are alot of 100 LB+ dogs and there were several in NC. Also you would be competing against all dogs 75lbs and over. And in the ADBA its body pound so you could compete just fine.
Well, I am not going to travel to TX to find dogs my weight catagory, b/c they would never travel to me. I tell that even to the Presa people b/c they always want me to travel 15 and 16 hours to them but I get F**ked if I ask.

As for NC well I have been to UKC, IWPA, APA pulls and I have only met one guy with an american bulldog.
Well like I said if ADBA would open the doors I would be there.

OldFortKennels said:
Can I honestly ask you a question. Im sure you have great dogs, Im not questioning that and I dont know what Titles your dogs have but would they not mean more to you if not EVERYONE COULD GET ONE????
If I had more Presa's or dogs in my weight catagory I would question it maybe but as it stands right now there is ONLY two people that pull Presa's and that would be me and a lady named Cathy in CA and she does not pull enough to call her any competition. I have 3 Presa's pulling now and they are my ownly competition.

OldFortKennels said:
What makes the title special?
Well my titles on very special to me b/c I am the only one that will have a UWPCH on a Presa EVER and I will have two dogs with them when the Virginia Beach pull in May.

OldFortKennels said:
What gives it its worth if anyone can do it?
Well, in my breed not all dog it and most complain about me pulling my Presa's.
But when it comes to the other dogs, well I see some pretty impressive dogs pull and I totally believe they deserve there titles and I also believe that some that are just starting like my friend and her **** hounds pulling. It is coming rather slow but damn they do have heart for pulling just not pulling lots of weight yet. So yes I do believe if they can and will do it then they deserve the title they are receiving. Are they CHs yet NO they are just starting.

OldFortKennels said:
Thats my point. I dont know, You could very well have dogs that would be titled even if they only gave points for 1-3 and wouldnt that then mean something??? Im just saying when someone tells me they have a UKC CHWP dog it doesn't really tell me anything about that dog. Now in the ADBA they say they have an ACE I know it is an above average dog.
Again I am not saying that the ADBA pulls and there rules are bad, what I am saying is they need to open the doors. I would be there if they did. So how about your club or the club you are in .. give it a chance and open the doors. I can get dogs to come if you want to be the first:D

OldFortKennels said:
Yess it is 1-3 in each weight class, male and female, 8,5,3 points respectively with additional points for BODY POUND 54 and under 55 and over. I believe its 10 points for the body pound.

Classes are
35 and under
35-45
45-55
55-65
65-75
and 75 and over.
Thank you that gave me a more understanding of there rules. So IF they open there doors ever then I know my dogs can pull.

·
2,074 Posts
MY MIKADO said:
I for one would love to get into to pulling but since I live in MN and have yet to hear of any WP shows here I think it is out of the question for me. I did enjoy your debate and I did learn alot so if by some chance there is achance for me and my dogs I will at least know something.
UNITED KENNEL CLUB

Are you close to either one of these clubs in your state

A-1 DOG TRAINING CLUB OF MINNEAPOLIS(MN-26)
AG = agility, CON = conformation, OB = obedience, WP = weight pull
9985 277TH AVE NW,
ZIMMERMAN, Minnesota 55398
(612) 856-3818
[email protected]

MINNESOTA MIXED BREED CLUB (MN-33)
AG = agility, DS = Dog Sport, OB = obedience, WP = weight pull
499 MARNIE ST,
MAPLEWOOD, Minnesota 55119
(612) 739-8505
[email protected]

FAMILY DOG CENTER (WI-0088)
CON,AG,OB,WP
1150 CRESCENT HILLS DR,
LA CRESCENT, Minnesota 55947
507-895-7702
[email protected]
www.FAMILYDOGCENTER.COM

These are the UKC weight pull clubs in your state, get a hold of them and see about getting involved to getting someone to let you know about the pulls

INTERNATIONAL WEIGHT PULL ASSOCATION

You will be in region 4 and the season does not start again until August 08 and goes thru March 09

Here is there website http://www.iwpa.net/

AMERICAN PULL ALLIANCE

Here is there website you will have to watch for there pulls
http://www.weightpull.com/

If you need any help please feel free to ask, as I have pulled with all three of them

Best of luck

Deb

·
2,074 Posts
OldFortKennels said:
By the way I really do hope you can make some of our NKC shows. I think you will have a blast and it would be great to meet another WP enthusiast who is out working their dogs!!! Oh and I think we should have enough weight for your big boys. I think we now have close to 10,000lbs.
I will be, I just have to complete some things in the UKC with my Presa's since this is where they are reconized. I want as many titles I can get on my dogs.

Thank you for the complements on my dogs but I wish they were pulling 10,000 damn I would rock all the pulls LOL
I look forward to meeting you inperson as it will be fun to pull together.

·
Courage
3,052 Posts
Don't know much about WP and the way it works but I don't believe in rewarding any mediocraty, in any event. Not trying to step on any toes here. It's just something I do not beleive in. I'd hate to see every NFL team get a superbowl ring just because they showed up for every game. LOL

·
2,074 Posts
buzhunter said:
Don't know much about WP and the way it works but I don't believe in rewarding any mediocraty, in any event. Not trying to step on any toes here. It's just something I do not beleive in. I'd hate to see every NFL team get a superbowl ring just because they showed up for every game. LOL
Buz

In reality about WP it is suppose to be about:
- Dog of all breeds, weights and drive to do it
- Weight % of body weight being pulled
- Time 60 seconds
- Vehicle (Wheels, Rails, & Sled)
- 16 feet from start to finish
So with that it means dog is against the other things I listed. It fun to see what dog can out pull another one. I know this is what I have to do with my dogs b/c of the size so I find it a BLAST when I kick the other dogs butts for most weight pulled. And I find it another blast when they kick my butts again and I have to strive for a better weight. But then I find it fun for the individual dog and what they can do.

So with this said here are the different Organizations:

UKC goes by the individual dog then goes by most weight pulled & most weight pulled by % of body weight

ADBA goes by the how much that dog can pull and only giving the first 3 dogs the best titles.

IWPA goes by the individual dog so they can get titles and then you get points for the first 3 to get a gold, silver, bronze metal

APA goes by the individual dog and also they then have there STAR program that dogs get points to win there titles (oh and designed by ADBA pullers)

NKC you can get your titles because it is about the individual dog but the points only go to 1st thru 3rd.

I like the FACT that they are about the Individual dog and proving what it can do and it getting better and better.

ALL of the organizations have
MOST WEIGHT PULLED
MOST WEIGHT PULLED BY % OF BODY WEIGHT

So if you look each are a bit different but they all work and show the dogs can do something. I find it even more GRAND if you can go to all or most and get titles b/c then you are proving your dog deserves the titles.

Sorry but your analogy of NFL and a sport that is for an individual makes no sense.

·
Courage
3,052 Posts
geisthexe said:
Sorry but your analogy of NFL and a sport that is for an individual makes no sense.
I hear you. I was just making a point. I guess what I mean is that there seems to be just too many ways to win in these events. If I was going to start a WP club, there would be only one winner at any given event and that would be the dog who pulled the most times his body weight. All others would have to go home and practice. LOL Guess if I ever do get into it, I'll have to just accept the rules of each particular club.

·
Premium Member
4,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
In reality about WP it is suppose to be about:
- Dog of all breeds, weights and drive to do it
- Weight % of body weight being pulled
- Time 60 seconds
- Vehicle (Wheels, Rails, & Sled)
- 16 feet from start to finish
So with that it means dog is against the other things I listed.
Im not sure you are understanding my dilema with the UKC. I agree whole heartedly with you on MOST everything. Yes WP is about the dog competing against himself and the track. HOWEVER when you start awarding CH TITLES you are no longer measuring the dog against itself but dog against dog. MY PROBLEM IS THAT THEY GIVE POINTS TO ANY DOG THAT PULLS MORE THAN 10X ITS BODY WEIGHT. That is my issue. IMO dogs that do not place in the top 3 do not deseve points toward a CH TITLE. Its like little league baseball where no score is kept and everyone gets a trophy!

I hope you know that this was and is not an attack on your dogs or their titles.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts