Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody, its been a while since i been on. But i jus got me a new blue pit pup, ive had 2 pits before and didnt crop their ears and i kinda want to this time, can yall tell me how long the healing process is, and how young should i do it?

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
the younger the better IMO ( 8weeks or older but under 6 months) The 1st day when they come home I find is the worst still groggy and drugged up and so sad I hate the 1st day but they do recover fast and Id say 2-3 days after they are bounced back to there old annoying self lol , they do have a cone on for approx 10 days until the stitches can come out sometimes an added day or 2 after stitches come out just depends on the dog. after that you can look into taping { if you need too , not all need to be taped depends onteh dog and the length of crop} id say it takes a few months to see how they will stand for the hair to grow back in and everything but the hardest of it all is the first 10 days keeping them from destroying the cone lol. We have cropped all our dogs minus our 1st one and the boyfriend has regretted not doing his ears , it is hard when they are puppys cause they look so cute and floppy but IMO Ilike the look of the adults with cropped ears better I think its so regal looking and shows off there head more but its totally a personal decision. Best of luck.

·
Registered
38 Posts
the younger the better IMO ( 8weeks or older but under 6 months) The 1st day when they come home I find is the worst still groggy and drugged up and so sad I hate the 1st day but they do recover fast and Id say 2-3 days after they are bounced back to there old annoying self lol , they do have a cone on for approx 10 days until the stitches can come out sometimes an added day or 2 after stitches come out just depends on the dog. after that you can look into taping { if you need too , not all need to be taped depends onteh dog and the length of crop} id say it takes a few months to see how they will stand for the hair to grow back in and everything but the hardest of it all is the first 10 days keeping them from destroying the cone lol. We have cropped all our dogs minus our 1st one and the boyfriend has regretted not doing his ears , it is hard when they are puppys cause they look so cute and floppy but IMO Ilike the look of the adults with cropped ears better I think its so regal looking and shows off there head more but its totally a personal decision. Best of luck.
Very true... I will not be clipping my male's ears simply because he's a big goofball and the floppy ears just fits his personality but in most cases I would definitely crop especially if you have regretted it in the past.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I think blues look very good with their ears cropped, but on the other hand they look good with floppy ears. I am a fan of cropped ears. My personal choice was to not crop my girl's ears for two facts. She is black, and I honestly think black bullies or pits look like bears when they have their ears clipped, annnnd shes a female, and I wanted her to look more feminine instead of male-ish

·
Registered
38 Posts
I think blues look very good with their ears cropped, but on the other hand they look good with floppy ears. I am a fan of cropped ears. My personal choice was to not crop my girl's ears for two facts. She is black, and I honestly think black bullies or pits look like bears when they have their ears clipped, annnnd shes a female, and I wanted her to look more feminine instead of male-ish
Makes sense... I think it's a must for ANY APBT... but IMO bullies pull off the no-crop nicely.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Makes sense... I think it's a must for ANY APBT... but IMO bullies pull off the no-crop nicely.
Really Im opposite I think APBT can pull off the no crop better Bullys IMO look better cropped they look odd to me without one lol.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Really Im opposite I think APBT can pull off the no crop better Bullys IMO look better cropped they look odd to me without one lol.
To each his/her own... I guess it doesn't phase me 'cause I've never seen a Mastiff with cropped ears lol so the bullies look normal as long as they're not TOO big.

·
Registered
17 Posts
IMO the cropped ears make the breed look more intimidating. My grand dog's ears are not cropped neither is his tail and I think he looks very regal and handsome and so much less intimidating without his ears cropped. :)

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
IMO the cropped ears make the breed look more intimidating. My grand dog's ears are not cropped neither is his tail and I think he looks very regal and handsome and so much less intimidating without his ears cropped. :)
The tails arent usually cropped on this breed , although some do it to hide kinks or injury sometimes requires it to be cropped.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts