Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what can i do to burn some of my 8 month old female energy. WHen i think she burned out she still going

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
a] flirt pole works great just dont make her jump to high dont want sprains or injuries
b] swimming is great if you have the weather for it or a pool that allows dogs
c] running or biking or rollerblading and she runs with you , start off short distances if she isnt used to any of that yet.
d] mental stimulation working on obedience / training
e] weight pulling , I find this works good I notice a big difference when my man works the male dog really uses his energy
f] good game of fetch , ball or frisbee :)

·
GP's Dr. Phil
3,732 Posts
She's only 8 months. I suggest some obedience or a good ol game of fetch with a chuck it.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
i think at 8 months they can do just about anything just dont be making her jump high for stuff or going buck wild lol , my girl is 7 months and she now goes for good runs with me and luna and does just fine. just dont push her too hard , anything you start , start gradual and build up as she adjusts and gets used to it. Wp at that age isnt best option but there are steps to get her used to it if you want to later on , getting her used to a harness and walk behind her ect , anything can be done at this age in moderation :)

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Becareful with her growing bones and joints. Don't over do it to much with her or down the road she could have issues. My girl is 7 months and she gets a good 2 to 3 mile fast paced walk daily and some nights we play a short game of fetch. Your girl is still a crazy hyper puppy and it's normal for some dogs to be more hyper than others :)

·
Registered
776 Posts
Pre exhaustive walks
use a flirt pole till she starts panting good .. then take her for a mile or so walk .. works wonders.
if your wondering how to make a flirt pole .. a 6 foot long peice of pvc that is just big enough for some small boat rope .. use 12 feet or a lil more just run the rope thru the middle tieing good knots at both ends of the pole .. tie a favorite toy to the end of the remaining rope. ez and nothing hard on the rope to hurt teeth

·
SASSY MINX
3,473 Posts
She's only 8 months. I suggest some obedience or a good ol game of fetch with a chuck it.
:goodpost: Agreed.

She is only 8 months - she'll could calm down when she reaches two years but this is a very active breed. Welcome to the world of being a proud pitbull parent ;). Obedience training (NOT PETSMART) with an experienced trainer in pitbulls would also help.

·
h2o APBTs
842 Posts
I completely understand your problem. I have a 9 month old APBT (sibling to motocross's pup) and she is IMPOSSIBLE to completely tire out. I pull light drag weight with her, run her on the Walky dog, Flirt Pole, walks, swimming, and she still acts spastic until you make her calm down. LOL. Some of it is obedience, some of it is puppy crazies. Enjoy the exuberance; it may or may not disappear. Also, another way to make a flirt pole is to buy a lunge whip (for horses), and tie a sock or hide to the end. I found that easier than a pvc version, but some folks prefer the PVC. :)

·
Registered
795 Posts
a] flirt pole works great just dont make her jump to high dont want sprains or injuries
b] swimming is great if you have the weather for it or a pool that allows dogs
c] running or biking or rollerblading and she runs with you , start off short distances if she isnt used to any of that yet.
d] mental stimulation working on obedience / training
e] weight pulling , I find this works good I notice a big difference when my man works the male dog really uses his energy
f] good game of fetch , ball or frisbee :)
:goodpost:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Putting a backpack on while you walk is a good idea too. Just one regular sized water bottle on each side is sufficient

1 - 12 of 12 Posts