Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kind of been thinking of going RAW, but I'm honestly not sure. Maybe some people's opinions can help me decide... Kandi is close to 20 weeks, and is 30 or 35 lbs roughly... She's on Blue Buffalo Large Breed ATM.... If I stay or if I go raw what are some suggestions? Should I add some vitamin supplements in? What do ya'll suggest for that also.

thanks <3

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
Look in the health section of the forum. There are a lot of good reads on how to properly feed raw :)

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
there are some good links to the raw in the health and nutrition section we feed crush by the prey model diet and have great results. Really wasnt as expensive as we thought it would be but it is a bit more work especially at 1st when you are figuring everything out weights and what they can and cant have ect and preparation time. It does get easier as you get past the 1st couple months where you are introducing things as you can only add new items 1 at a time to make sure they adjust to it and dont have any issues with it.
My thoughts however is if your dog is doing well on what its on dont mess with it. Crush wouldnt eat kibble and we would let him starve for days without adding anything to it and only offering his kibble he just wouldnt eat it so we switched him. Kibble is easier to feed and less time consuming and less messy but if your dog isnt doing well on kibble or has allergies or you just dont like the results you see with the kibble then go ahead and try raw.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm just so confused on the ratios and stuff. I am not very great with math. Kandi will only eat her kibble if she has gone without for a day or so and is starving unless I mix in a raw egg or something now... I don't free feed, so she gets it put down for an hour in the morning and an hour at dinner time. She doesn't want to eat it unless she just has to... That's one reason I would like to switch.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
this is the link pitbullmama gave me when i was starting out and we follow this to a T.
How to Get Started | Prey Model Raw we found it easiest to get a kitchen scale and weigh out the meals. if you know your dogs weight it shows how to break it down . Im not great at math either lol i just cheated and used a calculator thingy off google lol . but if you post the dogs weight im sure someone can even help you break it down.
eggs arent actually that great for the dogs there is a good reason i cant think off the top of my head if you search for it in the search bar at the top it should come up , but the egg shells are great to give . Just wash them after you use them and let them air dry then i just put them in my food processor until a powder { you can put them in a baggie and roll a rolling pin or something over them } then sprinkle over there food its great for calcium.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
She weights 32 lbs now. I heard they cause low biotine or however you spell it and their coats to lose its shine... I have been trying NOT to give her them, but sometimes I just don't want her to starve *sigh* lol

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
try adding a spoon of yogurt instead or cottage cheese? { we used to mix in meat from dinner for crush when we were trying to get him to eat , not great to give cooked meat either though}

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
I woulds also not feed large breed in the mean time until you decide. They large breed kibbles are for large dogs like Rots and mastiffs. i want to go raw but I worry since I go on vacations my friend who watches would probably not wanna deal with the raw, so I am trying grain free kibbles first.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's the only Blue Buffalo besides small breed (for puppies) at the store. I didn't know it wasn't alright. LOL. but okay. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
That's the only Blue Buffalo besides small breed (for puppies) at the store. I didn't know it wasn't alright. LOL. but okay. Thanks
ask them to get BB wilderness, its grain free, or to get the regular BB life cycle :)

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
Until you have thoroughly researched front RAW then stick to the kibble bedside of you don't know what you're doing you will do more harm than good. Btw raw eggs cause the biotin issues not the shells.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Until you have thoroughly researched front RAW then stick to the kibble bedside of you don't know what you're doing you will do more harm than good. Btw raw eggs cause the biotin issues not the shells.
I'm researching ATM, and I know I previously stated that I saw that. I don't give them to her often. I won't do it but at the most two times a week. I'm going to take the suggestion of mixing some cottage cheese or something in it instead. Thanks

·
GP's Dr. Phil
3,732 Posts
I'm researching ATM, and I know I previously stated that I saw that. I don't give them to her often. I won't do it but at the most two times a week. I'm going to take the suggestion of mixing some cottage cheese or something in it instead. Thanks
If you are feeding kibble, I would just use yogurt/ apple cider vinegar mix.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I personally am going to be trying raw here again myself. I have done is with my two and my sister has done it with hers. I liked it. Though, it became to high in price because we did fish and thats at least 2 dollars per pound here. Though, I do believe I found a cheaper source of food. Once I get the money and make contact with some people again I might be able to do raw. I have everything down to a point.

I recommend getting cheap plastic tupperware. First time around it wont be as cheap. Though, washing and re-using the tupperware will be cheaper then getting ziplock bags

·
K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,363 Posts
LOL its good to see RAW or BARF is catching on, a year or so ago it seems I was one of few who practiced natural feeding. Feeding the proper portions cuts and all that nuttin' beats RAW/BARF or mushers gruel.

I've been feeding raw for 17 yrs... I do use dry kibble from time to time in the heat of the summer or long road trips.

Good luck~

ALL GREAT ADVICE HERE :goodpost:'s EVERYONE!!!

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I personally am going to be trying raw here again myself. I have done is with my two and my sister has done it with hers. I liked it. Though, it became to high in price because we did fish and thats at least 2 dollars per pound here. Though, I do believe I found a cheaper source of food. Once I get the money and make contact with some people again I might be able to do raw. I have everything down to a point.

I recommend getting cheap plastic tupperware. First time around it wont be as cheap. Though, washing and re-using the tupperware will be cheaper then getting ziplock bags
Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
LOL its good to see RAW or BARF is catching on, a year or so ago it seems I was one of few who practiced natural feeding. Feeding the proper portions cuts and all that nuttin' beats RAW/BARF or mushers gruel.

I've been feeding raw for 17 yrs... I do use dry kibble from time to time in the heat of the summer or long road trips.

Good luck~

ALL GREAT ADVICE HERE :goodpost:'s EVERYONE!!!
I love the build of your dogs, also. They look super healthy.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts