Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where did you start? Books, networking, trial by error and most importantly, mentoring. How did you come to groom your kennels to be heavily work oriented. Sure confirmation is a great title/competition to enjoy. Seeing a dog working is a site that, imho, is where its at

Onyx has recieved a cgc that i am pleased with. He is enrolled is a "RO" guidelined class starting next week. My instructor invited me to sit in on wapbtca sch/protection training. There is comps for working titles locally, am i allowed to go and network with new people

Books??? Any good reads do suggest. Thx everyone!

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
Im some what confused as to what your asking. Are you seeking advice for starting a kennel? For owning working dogs? Game dog information? Im not entirely sure what it is your looking for.

·
GP's Dr. Phil
3,732 Posts
I'm far from accomplished but I got started when a cousin of mine purchased a private ped'd female from puerto Rico on the agreement that the dog wouldnt come back to the island. Straight [ ] lineage. I was 11 yrs old lol. I have owned " street byb " dogs and read a bunch. I've been around a few private ped'd dogs and just trial and error. I wouldn't say I have a specific mentor but I do have ppl I turn to should I need help. Crap all I have now is a fit bully. I am planning on getting into real workers in the next year or two.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im some what confused as to what your asking. Are you seeking advice for starting a kennel? For owning working dogs? Game dog information? Im not entirely sure what it is your looking for.
Working dog training/development advice and information

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
I started by screwing up a few dogs and learning as I went. Took some local classes, took more classes, muddled my way through and kept plugging away at it. LOL! ETA: I read a lot of books, but they didn't teach me much about training or competition. I mostly read breed info books.

·
+ Young buck human puppy
1,832 Posts
I haven't accomplished anything really but my best info is my mentor and books givin to me from him.
I'll get the names of them when I am at home for ya!

·
hrmph
5,349 Posts
I'm far from accomplished but I got started when a cousin of mine purchased a private ped'd female from puerto Rico on the agreement that the dog wouldnt come back to the island. Straight [ ] lineage. I was 11 yrs old lol. I have owned " street byb " dogs and read a bunch. I've been around a few private ped'd dogs and just trial and error. I wouldn't say I have a specific mentor but I do have ppl I turn to should I need help. Crap all I have now is a fit bully. I am planning on getting into real workers in the next year or two.
goes to show what i know.. (nothing lol) what is "private ped'd" lmao

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
Having a mentor thats been in the breed for years will benefit you greatly if your looking to achieve both knowledge and hands on guidance when it comes to APBT's. Reading materials are useful in learning however you will learn quite quickly that reading knowledge is one thing, actually experiencing situations is another and nothing can really prepare you for a game dog other than getting down and dirty. Of course, reading will benefit you and prepare you but nothing beats experience. This can go for game dogs and working breeds alike. A mentor imo is the best of both experience and knowledge packed into one.

As for the protection aspect you need to be aware that the APBT (in truest of forms) will not be suited for such work as it goes against their history and whats bred into them. Schutzhund is a sport not protection work and there is a significant different between what is needed in a dog if you compare the two. It is however a sport that benefits both the dog and the handler in many aspects and someone here that would be of use if your looking for questions regarding this would be performanceknls.

As to reading material if you are interested there are several good options for you, though i would highly recommend the Colby Book and Richard F. Stratton's work, both have excellent resources and information. The APBT Bible is also a great choice though pricey and i have never heard of that being downloadable via web.

If your looking for questions from members there are quite a few of us here that are knowledgable and experienced enough to guide you through though having a mentor physically there is best.

Aside from all of the mentioned you will make mistakes, everyone does especially in the beginning. Learning from those mistakes also greatly improves knowledge.

I must ask though as i dont know what your looking to accomplish, what are your goals? What are you looking to do? Are you wanting to own a game dog or a protection dog? Working dogs, if so what kind of work are you interested in? What is your past experiences with these types of dogs or have you owned only "pet breed" dogs? The more information you can provide on your intentions and such the better understanding we will have which in return may give you more direct answers you are seeking.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Onyx is my first bulldog. I am not interested in protection work more into working/agility events. Sch does interest me, and i am aware of the time needed for it to be developed towards its goals. I know i am going to make many mistakes and i am cool with that

I want to eventually work towards titles and to show general public that bulldogs arent mindless and unruly. I know i will need help and guidance along the way. The girl that trains/nutrition for my dogs is big into working dogs and is apart of wapbtca. More than one scource of mentoring cant hurt

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
I first got into working dogs when I was a Jr handler. I started by going to conformation fun matches and showing my APBT in just fun matches. From there I got in to training him in Obedience, nothing fancy just pet obedience. From there I started to look around at the different training centers and I wanted to work at one. I started when I was 16 helping at a center then shortly after I started help train classes and it progressed from there. I am thankful for all the experience I gained while working there but years later found that way of training was not the best. The owner was and still is very much old koehler method where it is a lot of jerking and correction without the dog understanding what they are being corrected for. Yes it gets results but not if you want to compete in things like Obed or rally. Trying to make a long story short it really is important to find a good mentor or trainer to work with and help out.

When I started agility when I was 18 we all knew nothing about the sport and learned as we go. Now we have come so far and our dogs can do amazing things. With agility and Obed it is very important to find a good place to train with and not try and train on your own if you want to be successful. I take pride when I show my dogs and I want to do the best I can not just do ok and barley get by. Training ideally should start when a dog is a pup, this is the best time to start with strong breeds as many bad habits are hard to break when they are older. Starting now is fine but keep in mind if he is really high prey drive you may not be able to do agility. That is something that need to be put in check as a pup and then easier to control. I am not a book person but if you want a good investment when you start agility check out cleanrun.com and get the magazine. I get the online version and just print them out. It gives you great things to work on at home. You need a few jumps, weave poles, and if you can a tunnel. That will greatly help with your work at home when not in a class. We have an agility section where I talk about training weaves and other things you can do with your dog.

Now competition Obed is another great thing to get into and fine a good motivational trainer who uses food and toys. Correction is a MUST but not until the dog understands what you are asking them. Avoid all motivational trainers who do not correct or trainers who are all correction. Find someone in the middle to work with. If you need help I can help you look for a good place to train with by looking in a few places where you live.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Onyx dosent have any bad habbits that i can identify, not saying that someone with a more seasoned eye cannot find. His prey drive and drive in general is on the high side. Easily excited and excited when he picks up on simple identifiers that fun is about to begin. Even a simple walk in the direction where his toys are kept or a whistle is all it takes for him to amp up. Once he is in that state of mind onyx has blinders on just for working out and beyond the "done" command is given. Onyx dosent acknowledge anything except the person giving the detail and the method he is being used. Onyx has great focus once he is set to a task

My trainer Aja is just as you described lisa. I honestly believe the two of you would share alot of the same methods. I will checkout the site you mentioned and talk to her more in depth about how dedicated i am to move forward. There is a working pitbull club locally aja is a officer of, i should take the initative to inquire about what they offer and how i can be active with them

1 - 14 of 14 Posts