Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
my crazy little mutt pack
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh man guys please help me out with this one!

So as many of you know I have a rescue dog named Toboe that just recently had his last heartworm treatment this last Saturday and well now… HE IS DRIVING ME NUTS!!! As part of the heartworm tx I have to keep him "quit" for 6 weeks after. The problem with this is he like many if pit/pit mixes has a VERY VERY high energy level, and when he isn't allowed to release his energy he goes crazy.

First you will see he starts to focus on you (me) more and will try to be near near near up my butt near me! He jumps up (something he knows not to do) and will nip anything he can get (shirt, arm, skin, once even breaking the skin). When making him sit he does but then his legs will start to shake his jaw will start to chatter and you can just see it in his eyes this mass unstable energy that had had no outlet. And if you try to touch him or walk away from him while he is sitting he jumps up and tries to nip again!

I thought that it would be ok I would just up his training and make sure he has plenty of toys like kongs to keep him occupied but it isn't working without him getting an outlet for his energy.

So let’s do the normal HXtx treatment and kennel him OH NO he will eat the kennel and throw himself into the side screaming (he is normally kennel trained nicely) and the doc said that is almost as bad as him out running.
Ok lets go on a nice walk not to fast no running just get him out, nope his eyes dart from this side to that side what’s this what’s that, corrections on the collar don't faze him he will just start shaking and his jaw will start the chatter and the jumping begins again. :hammer:

At this point I don't know what to do, he will be fine as soon as he is capable of getting more exercise and working off some of the energy, but in the mean time I have gotten a bloody nose, busted lip and a sore muscle bruised cheek and he just has his treatment ON SATURDAY!!!!!

I would love nothing more than to just let him run but that could kill him probably WOULD kill him so….:(

If anybody has some advice to save both of our sanity for the next 6 weeks please advise, I love this dog and love that he has such a drive to work but we are both pulling out hair out lol

·
Fat-Dogs-R-Us
8,760 Posts
Aireal, that is NOT energy that he is displaying.

·
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He did it when he first recovered from being sick when I first got him as soon as I started to exercise him appropriately he stopped... period, exercise stopped acting up, then I take his exercise routine away and it comes back so…..

·
Fat-Dogs-R-Us
8,760 Posts
He did it when he first recovered from being sick when I first got him as soon as I started to exercise him appropriately he stopped... period, exercise stopped acting up, then I take his exercise routine away and it comes back so…..
Jaws chattering is him being in drive, and jumping and nipping at you is showing dominance. you are prey

Try Starting to inforcing NILF around the house

·
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know what NILF is, and nothing in life is free for this boy, he wants feed he has to work for it, he want attention he has to work for it, he is not allowed in or out in front of me, shoot he gets feed last because I know he has a dominance issue, he has landed on his back daily since the treatment :hammer:
What else do you suggest?:confused:

·
Fat-Dogs-R-Us
8,760 Posts
I don't know what NILF is, and nothing in life is free for this boy, he wants feed he has to work for it, he want attention he has to work for it, he is not allowed in or out in front of me, shoot he gets feed last because I know he has a dominance issue, he has landed on his back daily since the treatment :hammer:
What else do you suggest?:confused:
NILF is nothing in life is free. First things first, stop letting him up on the furniture. walk him on leash down stairs (i know you probably already do this), but segrigate him from the pack and only have both of you guys interact together. At this point your home is ran like a "pack" and you are no longer valued as a leader even though he has to "work" for food and attention its gonna be a different life style for him and you. The only way to nip this in the bud is to reestablish rolls between you and him, then tackle him and the rest of the pack because he's gonna want to be dominant over SOMEONE once he has been knocked down a peg. When he's out of his crate he should have a leash on.

I understand it's difficult to do anything physical right now because of the way he is, but i think you can START by giving corrections with a leash. IDK, dude but that jaw chattering crap is NOT a joke.

Reactions: aimee235

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
Are hand walks out of the question for a way to release some energy for him? Snoop was the same way when he was not properly exercised. Some time in the yard and I have no issues with him, but for Karena he was showing these exact same issues. He was like this for the first few days when he came back and then was fine after getting the outlet he needed.

·
Fat-Dogs-R-Us
8,760 Posts
Are hand walks out of the question for a way to release some energy for him? Snoop was the same way when he was not properly exercised. Some time in the yard and I have no issues with him, but for Karena he was showing these exact same issues. He was like this for the first few days when he came back and then was fine after getting the outlet he needed.
did snoop nip at you and chatter at you? IDK, I just know that I don't want THAT kinda focus on me!

·
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I totally agree it is unacceptable, he has been separated from the pack because he has recently been getting a little to intense if one of the other guys growls at him or tells him to back off when they are not in the mood to play (he's reaching that age and all =S)
yes he has to be leashed now because otherwise he will run and then die =O.

And I have been making sure the potty break walks are more me always in front you go where I tell you, look at what I tell you blah blah blah.

SIGH

I hear what you’re saying Shana and I totally agree but the thing is I KNOW it also has to do with him not getting exercised appropriately because he is not willing to listen with all the energy pent up.

You can see it in his eyes without his outlet his eyes dialate and his whole body quivers, the only exception when I have him inside with something to chew on. When we are INSIDE and he is out of his kennel he can calm himself somewhat but otherwise….

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
YEah that is intense drive from the sounds of it. That is what Siren goes in sometimes eyes dilate, chattering of the jaw and just full of drive. What type of collar are you using? I would have him on a prong collar (make sure it is the small ones not the med or large) and have him on leash when he is not in his crate. That way you have better control so you do not get nipped. Man if he nipped me heart worms would be that least of him worries! ;) You need to take charge, be calm, and assert your dominance over him.
Because of the medical condition did you talk to he Vet about sedating him? I normally do not suggest that but in this case I would just drug him up so he can recover.

Ty is getting little like that from not being worked but when she tries to get out of control I tell her to down and she can compose herself. Obed is great in many ways especially when they get like that you can get some control. Now she did pounce on my the other day and 8 months pregnant or not I snatched her butt up by the ear and we had a little talk about jumping on my belly..... She has not done that since, I gave her a correction and was dominate and it was very clear no matter how excited she is getting that is not allowed. I think you need to do the same to him but already have him on a prong so you have control. Yeah his life is going to suck and he just has to deal with it for a little while.....

·
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
lol thanks PK and ya I got a small prong as soon as he started this the first go around I will make sure I use it every time he is out, bleh stupid drive, when I can work it it's great but times like these I just... grrrrrrrr
It’s things like these that make me nervous to adopt him out, I mean how am I supposed to trust someone to work him appropriately even after he can run again, I should just keep him and make him my agility dog rofl.... *sigh*

·
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i will call the doc tonight and see what i we can do about that, i mean i can always try benadryl, but for something stronger i will ask her to give me a script

·
Banned
3,357 Posts
I guess I'm lucky that Bruno's a lazy couch potato.
I hope you get this sorted out!
I know what it's like to have a dog with severe dominance issues. been there,done that. NEVER want that to happen again~

·
3,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I guess I'm lucky that Bruno's a lazy couch potato.
I hope you get this sorted out!
I know what it's like to have a dog with severe dominance issues. been there,done that. NEVER want that to happen again~
lucky a$$ lol ya i'm greatful 2/4 are pretty laid back

1 - 15 of 15 Posts