Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i never thought throwing money at a problem would solve it. but the idea of throwing money in the right direction has me thinking now.
we all know BS legislation is not the answer because dogs are not the problem. people are. and there are laws already in place that have not / can not be enforced.
this article makes alot of sense to me.

The Real Solution to Protecting Pit Bulls | Steffen Baldwin

especially this part at the end...

If we want to make a dent in animal cruelty, if we want to go after dog fighters and if we want to protect pit bulls, when are we as a society going to make sure that the people who are entrusted to these positions actually have the resources to do their job?

In many counties in Ohio, $25 a month isn't enough to recruit and retain high-quality investigators. In many rural counties, it isn't enough to recruit and retain anyone. That means that for hundreds of thousands of animals, just in my state, there is nobody to investigate substandard backyard breeding conditions. Nobody to investigate dog fighters. Nobody to investigate neglect. Nobody to protect those who have no voice.

Instead of focusing on new legislation to ban a broad spectrum of dogs based on their appearance and using skewed and highly debated "statistics," why don't we look at better funding for animal cruelty investigators and humane societies? Why don't we support the people who can arrest those responsible for animal cruelty and neglect in our communities every single day?

If we can't properly fund what we already have laws for, how effective will any new laws be? If the focus is truly on keeping communities safe rather than winning the big pit bull debate of the decade, if we truly value the animals we spend billions of dollars on each year as pets, paying rural Ohio Humane Agents more than $25 a month should be a no-brainer.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts