Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my 9 month bully to get spayed and vet didn't do it because she's high risk . Pita seems to be very obese according to her vet. She has gained 18lbs in less than 2 months which I agree is alot I think she looks good but....

Attachments

·
h2o APBTs
842 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'm no expert, overweight yes obese I don't know..Ps that diagram is helpful thank you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Needs more exercise, definetly has some extra weight goin on there. Look at what your feeding her to, shit food shit body. Make sure she's getting right nutrition and exercise she will be on the right track fix it while she's still growing and young and can bounce back within weeks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Interesting, never heard of that no matter how much dogs have weighed. She is also 9 months old, not like you wanna be putting her on a diet she is still growing. Have you tried to get a second opinion? Did he offer suggestions on how to get the weight down so he can spay her?

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
Interesting, never heard of that no matter how much dogs have weighed. She is also 9 months old, not like you wanna be putting her on a diet she is still growing. Have you tried to get a second opinion? Did he offer suggestions on how to get the weight down so he can spay her?
My vet, whom I adore, is a small practice attached to his house. He was previously a vet at UPenn New Bolton center (best of the best at least around here) before he opened his own practice. Since he is small and home based, he doesn't have much equipment like Xrays, labs, and won't do any extensive surgeries. He uses an IV type of anesthesia for pups when he spays/neuters them (I forget what it's called at the moment). Because of the type of anesthesia he uses, he won't spay/neuter if they way over 50 lbs. He did Nala at 9 mos and she was 49.5 lbs at the time but she was perfectly healthy and at an optimum weight so he felt safe doing it. She recovered quickly and was home with me right after lunch. When Nala went to Longwood for her wound repair/drain insertion surgery they drugged the heck out of her and she was woozy/drugged for almost 2 days.

Anyway, maybe it's a situation such as with my vet where it's based more on his/her methods than on the actual dog? Otherwise, I've never heard of a dog being unable to be spayed or neutered based on weight either.

~Jess

PS - I can't wait to get Kaos neutered now that he's all mine!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts