Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had all my dogs out in the back yard today and they were just playing in their pool and running around having a good ole time. Well, we just had people move in across the street a few weeks ago that have 2 dogs, both shepard mixes. Well, they decided to break out of the neighbors fence today and come up to mine. What a fun time! I had quite a time trying to get my one track minded dogs to change from kill mode to calm down and go into the house mode. I was by myself with 6 dogs that just wanted to protect their mommy because when I tried to make the one dog go away it attempted to bite me. Luckily none of the dogs directed their aggression towards each other. By the time I got all of them inside and walked out of the front door to beat the dogs out of my yard ( i was very angry because we all know how it would have been if it were my dogs) their owner finally had them over on his porch and putting them inside. I informed him as calmly as I could that he almost didn't have a dog anymore and that I have 6 pits in the backyard and he should be more careful. Anyone else have stories like this? How have you or would you handle the situation?

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
While I understand your frustration, I personally would be working on securing my own situation. Visual barriers attached to the fence to block outside distractions. Increased basic obedience ("leave it," "come" and "stay" being top priority). And I would rethink having 4 Pit Bulls loose in my yard at the same time if they are not easily controllable when they are all together. Think what would have happened if your own dogs had gotten out of your fence to go after the loose dogs. Then it would be every bit as much your fault as the neighbor's.

That's just me talkin'. I've seen those kinds of situations turn ugly quickly. And much as it sucks, accidents do happen, dogs do get out. If my dog jumped my fence -- assuming it was only once and I hadn't yet had a chance to correct the situation -- and ran up to yours, and it caused your dogs to fight each other... well, let's just say I would apologize for my role in things, but it is ultimately your responsibility to control your dogs as well. And from a legal standpoint, you might not have a leg to stand on. If the area outside your fence is easement, the most that might happen to the neighbor is a fine for loose dogs.

Good luck dealing with it all.

PS, I certainly wouldn't threaten the neighbor like that, nor would I drop the "I have pits" bomb. No matter how mad I get. Might as well say "Trouble? Sure, I need some of that. Bring it."

Reactions: MY MIKADO

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
Yes I have to agree with Lindsay on this you need to have better controll of your dogs. I have 6 dogs that run in my unfenced yard. Vendetta being the youngest at 7mos and Matayha being the oldest at 7 yrs. If a car comes down the road all of my dogs run up on the deck to go inside. If the meighbors dogs in=s running in the field my dogs go up on the deck to go inside. They do this with a " Come on guys" and "Hurrey up". You have to have control of your dog at all times because we all know that if something happens it will be the APBT fault do doubt about it.

** only Vendetta is APBT** I would never have more than one APBT running loose at a time. .......too stressfull.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe I should be more clear! Only 2 of them were adults and the others were pups 6 months and younger. The only reason the dogs went nuts is because these dogs were right up on the fence if they had been walking down the street the situation had been different. My dogs other wise listen very well and do come when called and listen to all other kinds of commands. Lets just say it was a fence fight. I told the neighbor across the street that I had pits only because I needed him to understand how serious things could have gotten. I know the guy he is a friend of a friend. Also all my neighbors know of my dogs. I make it a point for them to know. Most of them don't mind and will talk to me about them and want to meet them. Also, I am planning on getting a privacy fence ASAP. Once the dogs are older they will not all be running loose together just because that is asking for trouble. I honestly think things went a lot better than they could have.

·
Registered
452 Posts
While I understand your frustration, I personally would be working on securing my own situation. Visual barriers attached to the fence to block outside distractions. Increased basic obedience ("leave it," "come" and "stay" being top priority). And I would rethink having 4 Pit Bulls loose in my yard at the same time if they are not easily controllable when they are all together. Think what would have happened if your own dogs had gotten out of your fence to go after the loose dogs. Then it would be every bit as much your fault as the neighbor's.

That's just me talkin'. I've seen those kinds of situations turn ugly quickly. And much as it sucks, accidents do happen, dogs do get out. If my dog jumped my fence -- assuming it was only once and I hadn't yet had a chance to correct the situation -- and ran up to yours, and it caused your dogs to fight each other... well, let's just say I would apologize for my role in things, but it is ultimately your responsibility to control your dogs as well. And from a legal standpoint, you might not have a leg to stand on. If the area outside your fence is easement, the most that might happen to the neighbor is a fine for loose dogs.

Good luck dealing with it all.

PS, I certainly wouldn't threaten the neighbor like that, nor would I drop the "I have pits" bomb. No matter how mad I get. Might as well say "Trouble? Sure, I need some of that. Bring it."
:goodpost:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts