Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been giving Xena rawhide bones up until recently, they never lasted more than 10 minutes so I got her a Kong toy, within the hour she had gotten all the peanut butter out of it and there were cracks in it. Not long after that she'd ripped a chunk out. Are there any toys tougher than a Kong? It feels like a waste to spend 10+ dollars on a toy only to throw it out a few hours after I bought it. :/

·
Premium Member
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll have to give them a try, if they last more than a few weeks I'll be pleasantly surprised, lol. I'm shocked such a little girl has such strong jaws. My german shepherd can't even tear up a kong toy, and he's pretty much full grown. I suppose that's what I get for having to have a dog with pit in it, and she definitely inherited the jaws. ;)

·
Registered
189 Posts
I'll have to give them a try, if they last more than a few weeks I'll be pleasantly surprised, lol. I'm shocked such a little girl has such strong jaws. My german shepherd can't even tear up a kong toy, and he's pretty much full grown. I suppose that's what I get for having to have a dog with pit in it, and she definitely inherited the jaws. ;)
I think the pitbulls persistence in tearing something up means a lot more then their jaw strength. There's plenty of other dogs with stronger jaws.

·
Premium Member
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think the pitbulls persistence in tearing something up means a lot more then their jaw strength. There's plenty of other dogs with stronger jaws.
That's true, GSDs are supposed to have stronger jaws I hear, but when she goes at her toys it's completely different then when my shepherd goes at them. She has a whole different level of focus, it's like that's all she was put on this earth to do was to tear this toy into pieces!

·
Premium Member
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm sold, I'll order one today. :) Also thinking about buying a toy I found online that will replace the toy if the dog manages to destroy it.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
This is the only toy I have not had to replace. My dog loves it more than he loves anything else and he is almost 5 great toy IMO and under $30 I believe.

www.unbreakoball.com

Sent from Petguide.com App

·
Premium Member
5,100 Posts
Are you buying the regular red kong toys? The black kong xtreme toys are marginally more durable.

·
Premium Member
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, the red ones, but as easily as she tears through the red I'm not sure the black ones would hold up :(

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
Sheba is a very motivated chewer when she gets something she really likes. Toys are destroyed easily within 20 minutes. We have a black kong(I think it's actually the XL) that has lasted us over 3 years now. Just stuff and freeze. We also use knuckles from the butcher.

Ames where'd ya get that ball?? Cain would have a hay day with one of those! Lol he loves balls.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Banned
468 Posts
Antlers are great but can be pricey....you need to come up with clever ways of making your pup become interested in them, and then stay interested :doggy: Per a members recommendation here, I've dipped the end in peanut butter with success (temporarily). I marinated one in beef broth but that didn't really do much to gain her attention unfortunately :cry:

·
Registered
794 Posts
Antlers are great chews for dogs. Jolly Ball, eGGe, Mammoth Tire Biter, Unbreakoball, GoughNuts, Orbee Tuff Diamond Plate Ball and Bionic Dog Toys are all great tough dog toys.

·
Diggin' Deep
5,194 Posts
You got to get the BLACK kongs....way different than the red ones. Also try Grenades, those things are pretty awesome :) antlers as great too!

·
Registered
133 Posts
We give Rocky & Kimber deer antlers they go nuts over them. When you buy them make sure they are not the white chalky ones, those break into shards sometimes, get the "fresh ones". We get ours from deer we have killed or from friends, hell of alot cheaper than the ones at petsmart. You could also try esty.com they have them from time to time.

·
Premium Member
5,100 Posts
Loki wants nothing to do with nylabone toys or antlers. If it's not chewy he's not interested.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I gave my dogs antlers, can't even tell they have chewed on them, but as mentioned after the first few days they lost interest in the... But they are very durable! ( my moms boyfriend is a hunter so mine were free too, can't beat that!)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Mine have had theirs for about a month and they still love them ! The antlers started with 2 points and they have already chewed them down to where there isn't 2 points showing any more (if that made any sense lol)

·
K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,363 Posts
GOT THE WRONG KONG

Solid RED ball or the BLACK bone.. The large toy radial free tires they have now as well..

You learn to improvise.. whole coconuts work great!

·
Premium Member
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I did try the black tires, she ripped those apart in no time once she actually got interested in them. She likes anything hard, she's not that crazy about balls that's more my GSD's thing. I do know someone who hunts regularly, I think I'll ask him for some deer antlers. Would I need to cut down the points so it's not sharp or pointy anywhere?

1 - 20 of 59 Posts