Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
5,664 Posts
Sorry, I have no experience with it . Hopefully others will chime in. I am familiar with the surgery which is becoming more and more common and successful. I wish you and your boy good luck and for him a quick recovery. Please keep us updated on how things go.

Joe

·
Registered
91 Posts
My dog will be having his first TPLO surgery in a few weeks and we're preparing for it. Any post-care products recommendation? Appreciate all your response.
The last time I had a dog get a knee repair was 2005 or 2006. So I am definitely out of practice. My biggest advice is not about particular products to use, but to keep them lean and once your vet gives the go ahead for exercise, build back muscle. A good muscle support system and a lean dog will keep that dog functional for a long time after. Or at least it did for me. My dog was 6 at the time (got tackled by a rowdy pup and tore the knee) and made it another 6 years with lots of activity and no slowing down.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My buddy Pete is about done with his 2nd surgery recovery period. He needed both knees fixed. He's of course HIGH energy at 18 months, and keeping him calm has been the hardest part! We used a lot of Triazadone to keep him "manageable" but it seems like it's been much longer than 9 weeks! He did a lot of crate time, and we used baby gates to keep him confined too. It's a pain now it's getting cold taking him out on a leash for every pee break, only 10 days left until the final x-ray !! Seriously he's done great for both surgeries, and didn't limp at all after 5 days. That's the tough part.... keeping them chilled when they start feeling good again! Hang in there!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts