Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
I AINT HARD TO FIND
7,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Canine Sports Academy Dog Training Facility, Norman, Oklahoma

I live in Oklahoma and there arent that many places with a reputable review. Of course, the Petsmart option was up in the air for a whole... two days. What turned me off about them is that one of the cashiers that always helps me out trains puppy classes and she's younger than I am! Now, I can't hate on someone because of their age, but it seems like being a trainer is just another step in the Petsmart company..

I met a nice girl there who suggested taking Chino to Canine Sports Academy. They have a great puppy program, and their training facility is a whopping 6500 sq ft! Classes are cheaper, and dont have the distraction of people coming in and out, like at Petsmart.

I posted a link to the website so that you guys can check it out. To me, it seems like a good place for a start. Their private session run less than anywhere else I called and everyone there has over 2 decades of training and show. Most are for other breeds, but the owner of the place has 7 Amstaffs at home, and that just did it for me!

:clap: LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU GUYS THINK!!! :clap:

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Looks like a great place to train dogs! I checked out the website and as a trainer myself I would say you found a great place. And the trainer has AST's? well that should seal the deal! It's funny because their business's website layout is the same as my websites layout for my business. Have fun training!

·
Registered
121 Posts
You found the right place, StaffyDaddy! It's great that they are actively working and titling their dogs in various venues. Oklahoma still has a thriving dog obedience community, and they are very supportive, with some nice shows.

Julie K

·
I AINT HARD TO FIND
7,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah im excited for him. I carried him around the facility and he got so much attention from the trainers. They said he was a little terror, and that it was a good decision to start him young lol. yeah the owner has ast's and apbt's and said out of 7 of them, only one acts up! lol

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
That is great you found such a nice place. I know I look forward to class every week. It is fun and the people you meet have the same interests so it is nice to talk dogs with other dog people. Chno should have a good time. Keep us posted on his progress. :)

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
I'm glad you found a good place, I have been struggling to find a place to take Lady. I have considered Petsmart since right now I really need her to be somewhere with distractions, as I work with her everyday, and she does great, but need more practice around other dogs and people. I really want a place that I can transition from obedience into Rally into Agility, but it's so hard to find somewhere that I feel good about, I wish I lived in your area because that place looks like exactly what I want. Have fun!

·
I AINT HARD TO FIND
7,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
UPDATE!!!! Just wanted to let you guys know that I have been letting Chino drag his leash at play, and he even wears it when he eats. So now when he has been walking with me, its at a steady pace, and NOT behind me. He has also been "sitting" very well. He sat 4 times in a row today, and he is PASSED OUT after we played. Thanks everyone for the feedback!

·
I AINT HARD TO FIND
7,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He is going to class this wednesday! Everyone wish him luck! yay chino!!

·
I AINT HARD TO FIND
7,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah whats great about the class is... I met this girl at petsmart and Chino and her pup became friends, and it just happened that she's the one who got me interested in the class. At least Chino will have his little buddy there every time he goes to class.

And My Mikado.. thanks for the encouragement!!!

·
I AINT HARD TO FIND
7,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well... Chino was the youngest in his class. There was a daschund, 2 golden retrievers (same owners), a black lab, my friend's german shepard and some other person's german shepard.

He was the most rambunctious and got made an example of lol. He had to turn our puppies on their backs between their legs to make them comfortable with the idea of vet examinations.

He DID sit a couple of times, but most of the time he was distracted by the other pups. I like the instructor because she understands the breed.
She came to me one on one and said "my sister trained 5 amstaffs and 2 apbt's and theyre very smart..but they are very strong willed and it's good you started early because its very apparent your little guy has selective hearing"

Its not what I wanted to hear but it made sense.. We still need to work on him responding to his name. I can't wait to go next week. We're going to be doing a lot this next week and I will update yall on the progress!

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Yeah pups are fun just remember that they have an attention span of a GNAT! lol And just when you think you have him trained, he is going to act like he forgot everything! You just keep on training and work him through it and you will have a great pup. Don't expect too much now as far as attention he is just a little pup. A good game I play with my pups at this age is the "Watch" me game. I posted this along with heeling in the Schutzhund forum and made them sticky topics. The watch game is great and easy for them to learn. Thanks for the update!

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
Oh the joys of being the youngest in a class. Vendetta was the youngest in her class and made the biggest strides too.

If you are still having trouble getting him to come to you one thing tht does work is using a long line like a clothes line attach it to the pups collar and when you call him and he doesn't come right away call him again but start to reel him in. Once he starts coming on his own stop puling on the rope and praise like a mad man. Love him up and send him off again. I did this with both Vendetta and DaVinci and both have great re-call. Once he starts coming to you then take the rope away an djust periodically call him when he comes praise and send him off. if you call him when you are ending play and going back in the house after a bit the dog isn't going to come becuse they will now that the fun is over.

·
I AINT HARD TO FIND
7,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
UPDATE:

Every single time I ask him to sit he does it... It's a little harder when he's not on his leash, but he knows that momma and pops(me) will be very please when he sits. He lays "down" too!

If my pup can behave so well at 9 weeks I can't wait to see his progress in a months time..

·
Registered
771 Posts
Dang I want my pup to know that. He's still shy around us. It's a goofy shy though. He wags his whole body and will come at us with his head down. I really wish he'd had a better life before us because it'd be much easier to train. Boy we got ourselves in it with this one =) He'll be just like China when he gets her age though. Strong, confident, and obedient =)

·
I AINT HARD TO FIND
7,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well... just keep working with him. I have a shy pup but at least he knows who alpha dog is.. i still work on his confidence, but not at the same time that i teach him his obedience.

our body language has a lot to do with who they view us. so when we're training, i put his collar and leash on and tell him "come on" which is his cue to start walking with me. we go into the living room and i ask him "sit". im firm but not too demanding. when i want to work on Chino's shyness, i get down on all fours.. and this sounds humiliating...but i put my ass up in the air and my shoulders down towards the ground. this way he know's im not a threat. I don't call his name, I don't say a thing. I smile, and am genuinely in a good mood when we do this because they can pick up on that.

But I'm sorry to hear that he didnt have a better life before. My pup acts like someone beats him silly every morning.. and i have put up posts about it, but instead of questioning it, I just try and overcome it. He loves on me and licks me, but its hard to get him engaged in play.

GOOD LUCK WITH YOU PUP!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts