Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought one a couple days back, and it works like a freakin' miracle!
Both of the boys actually walk with me and dont drag me.
I was against getting it because i thought it was just painful to the dogs, but it releases as soon as the dog stops!

I don't remember the name but this is the photo of it.

Just wondering what y'alls opinions are on them?

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Isnt it a prong collar? I have seen it used wrong so many times and personally I wouldnt use one on my dogs , but to each there own. I understand many on here have great storys about them and found them very useful just IMO I cant see me using one of these on my dogs. I think if you do want to use this to make sure you learn how to properly use it by a professional trainer. { this is the collar the kids had on there golden lab thing that attacked luna, it actually slipped off the dog and he came and charged us. Again they werent using properly] .

Happy for you though if its working for you, anything is better then having a dog drag you on walks and making it hard to control.

·
Premium Member
11,010 Posts
I have heard many problems when not using it correctly as well. I also know a lot of people turn it around when they are not walking which makes the slip off so easy. I think the key is to make sure its high on the neck, not by their through, but search some threads it explains the proper use.

·
Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
Yes with prongs education on proper use is a must, I personally wouldn't use them, I did in the past and it never helped with my pulling just created a lot of tension and resentment for other dogs. But as said to each their own, every dog is different. Premack was my key to success with Dakota's training.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
They are great when used properly. Most people have no clue how to use them correctly and when they fall off that means the owners did not have them on properly. They do not work great for all dogs but if you are using it and it works, then great! There are many ways to use a prong collar and one way I use them is inside out. If you know what your doing you can use them inside out, on a dead ring, on a live ring, an so on. Each way is different for each dog and depending on the situation. Many times when I use them for training I will switch back and fourth from prong to soft collar depending on what I am doing with the dog. For more info on how to fit them check out this link. Also you should wear a slip chain with the prong as a back up if the prong lets go. That is the proper set up for a dog in training.

Leerburg | How to fit a Prong Collar

1 - 5 of 5 Posts