Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about a 9 month old pit bull, she is a dream honestly. She has been taught; sit, wait, shake, high-five, speak and I am not even sure that is all! lol But there are just a few training things were are having difficultly with, and I was curious if there are any tricks to be learned.

1. She is basically potty trained, yet occasionally she will pee in the house in the dinner room. Which is where she peed in the house every time. Is there any way to stop this? Or will she outgrow it?

2. We also live on six acres of land, and are fully fenced in by a 6ft gate. I was curious if anyone had any tricks on training a dog not to leave the fence?

3. Also when we let our puppy out she will come in when she is called every time, as long as the neighbors dogs are not outside. Then when the dogs are outside it seems like she completely ignores our calls for her to come inside. I was curious if there are any tricks to break this habit.

4. How to teach a dog to lay down? We were just curious! :]

Thank you everyone for your help, and please be honest and truthful. I do not appreciate any posting that is rude or false.​

·
Registered
85 Posts
3. Also when we let our puppy out she will come in when she is called every time, as long as the neighbors dogs are not outside. Then when the dogs are outside it seems like she completely ignores our calls for her to come inside. I was curious if there are any tricks to break this habit.
I would get a lunge lead, and retrain her recall with the distractions. Let her out on the lunge, when the neighbors dogs are out call her back, when she doesn't return right away give a light tug on the lead and then if she returns once you have her attention give her treats and praise like crazy!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would get a lunge lead, and retrain her recall with the distractions. Let her out on the lunge, when the neighbors dogs are out call her back, when she doesn't return right away give a light tug on the lead and then if she returns once you have her attention give her treats and praise like crazy!
I really do like this idea and cannot believe I did not think of using a lunge lead! I appreciate the idea and will definitely be using it to hopefully get her to respond. :]

·
APBT!
9,594 Posts
Good point destinoscelgo!

Also, addressing how to teach the lay command...
Put your dog on lead, and have treats in hand. Sometimes it's easier to start in the sit position, so you may start her this way. Have her sit, facing you (she should be directly in front of you). Show her a treat, and lead it down to the floor and away, slowly, while telling her lay (or down, depending on which command you wish to use). Also, it may help to pull down on the leash with the other hand, or to apply a little pressure to her shoulders, giving her the idea of what you want her to do. I'll see if I can get a video of what I mean and come back and post later. I'm actually about to take my dogs out to work with them.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good point destinoscelgo!

Also, addressing how to teach the lay command...
Put your dog on lead, and have treats in hand. Sometimes it's easier to start in the sit position, so you may start her this way. Have her sit, facing you (she should be directly in front of you). Show her a treat, and lead it down to the floor and away, slowly, while telling her lay (or down, depending on which command you wish to use). Also, it may help to pull down on the leash with the other hand, or to apply a little pressure to her shoulders, giving her the idea of what you want her to do. I'll see if I can get a video of what I mean and come back and post later. I'm actually about to take my dogs out to work with them.
Awesome, a video would be amazing! Though that does seem like a good idea for training her to lay down, I am surely going to try it. Did you have an estimate about how long it took any of your dogs to learn it? I realize every dog was different, and so I was just curious an estimate about how much time it may take.

·
APBT!
9,594 Posts
Awesome, a video would be amazing! Though that does seem like a good idea for training her to lay down, I am surely going to try it. Did you have an estimate about how long it took any of your dogs to learn it? I realize every dog was different, and so I was just curious an estimate about how much time it may take.
It really does depend on the individual dog, and the owner/trainer's diligence and dedication to training. It's something that should always be reinforced or reiterated on a daily basis. I've had several dogs, some it took only a few short minutes to grasp the concept, and others it took a couple days of working on it to get it. My mutt boy, Roller, I can give the command from another room, and he'll do it. I'm working on training hand signals without the voice command now. He's got sit down with no vocal cues, next step is down. My APBT pup, I've yet to do anything more with her besides off, and sit. We're going to work on changing that today.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It really does depend on the individual dog, and the owner/trainer's diligence and dedication to training. It's something that should always be reinforced or reiterated on a daily basis. I've had several dogs, some it took only a few short minutes to grasp the concept, and others it took a couple days of working on it to get it. My mutt boy, Roller, I can give the command from another room, and he'll do it. I'm working on training hand signals without the voice command now. He's got sit down with no vocal cues, next step is down. My APBT pup, I've yet to do anything more with her besides off, and sit. We're going to work on changing that today.
Of course all of those attributes go into training, and how quickly they pick something up. Already Chevy has learned sit, wait, shake, high-five, speak, down, drop it; and I am sure I am missing something. lol But she is wonderful to teach, just I have noticed some things she gets right off the bat and others it takes time. So I have no problem being patient and taking the time to train her. :] That is pretty neat though training without vocal commands, which I may eventually try as well.

·
Premium Member
11,010 Posts
I like teaching the touch command. I use it when there are dogs around and I want my dog to focus on me and not the dogs. I have him touch my fingers and walk down the street touching my fingers and he is beside me and keep having him touch. It distracts him from caring about whats across the street. I also use it to make him zig zag in betwen my legs, for no reason but to entertain myself. He now comes across the yard and through the house when I yell for him to touch. and sometimes slides to a halt just so his nose can tap my finger. Once you get him to touch you can use it for fun things like turning on and off lights, opening doors. My boy learned to put his stick back in a pile after he takes them all out when we go outside.

Get cheese and I take pointer and middle finger, point them out while I hold a bit og cheese in the closed fingers. When you call him over say touch and when he goes to sniff your hand and reaches your fingers and "touches it" say YES or whatever you say when he is right, and reward him and praise him. Eventually move the cheese to the other hand but make him touch the fingers you want him to touch. Its also good when I want him to jump up on something or get on the scale at the vets. I just have him touch and he goes right up.

Also the look command is great. Gets him to stop what he is doing and look at me no matter what. I interrupt his play or flirt or spring pole a lot and make him look at me just so I know when he is all riled up he still can listen. I did this by ho,ding the cheese up by my eyes and asking him to "look." as soon as he would move his eyes up to the cheese and then move over to my eyes I would say YES and reward him. After he gets that LOOK means making eye contact, move the cheese and make sure you don't give it to him until he looks in your eyes and wait for your signal to get the cheese.

Once he gets both, you can start doing them together when the dogs ar outside have him look and when he does tell him to touch and he SHOULD come running, lol. Unless he is stubborn like my boy is sometimes who knows how to do these things but just doesn't feel like listening lol

·
APBT!
9,594 Posts
Okay, I've returned from working my dogs and letting my kids run around the park. I've got a video I'm sharing here for you, please excuse my kids and my APBT in the background hollering like a banshee.

*Special Guest appearance by my youngest daughter, Trinity (with a leaf in her hair), future dog handler!*

TLP and Roller teach Down command - YouTube

*Edit to add- I was using a couple animal crackers as training treats, but you can use any kind of treat you like; dried beef or chicken (dehydrated aka jerky) or any kind of dog treat.*

1 - 9 of 9 Posts