Go Pitbull Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2 year old APBT and he is developing some very bad habbits. when we first got him at 9 weeks we took him to the dog park once he had all his shots and rabies twice a day and he was doing great with dogs cats and all other animals but now we can no longer take him.
A while ago we took him and he ran straight up to a big dog and started fighting with him for no reason now we cant take him anymore. and now he acts mean everywhere we go.
And he alos no longer thinks that he needs to listen to me any more. He will listen to my husband sometimes but not me. when i put him out side and i call him back he just acts like he cant hear me and just runs off.
We took him to a trainer and that worked for like a week and now he wont even listen to her.
And he gets very upset when someone other than my husband and i hold our 9 month old baby. He will lay by the door crying untill we let him out then he sniffs the baby and just stares at the people visiting. Why is he acting like this? and does anyone know how i can get this fixed asap?? Any help would be amazing. Thank You!!

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
I take it this is your first APBT? The dog park thing....yeah that is basically why dog parks are a no go for this breed. A 2 year old male, who is obviously dominate, is not going to have a fun time at the dog park playing with other dogs.

The baby sounds like another dominance issue, he more than likely considers that baby "his" and is watching those that come around to make sure they don't hurt her in anyway.

What has your trainer said about his behavior? If you are already working with a trainer, they should be able to adjust the program to work with this behavior. Are you being very strict with the instructions they are giving you at home? Is your male neutered?

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
Does this trainer have knowledge of this breed? APBT can be very difficult to handle when they get into their heads that they are the leader. Which it sounds like your boy has done just that. If he isn't listening to you what do you do when he doesn't come to you? Do you keep calling him or do you just forget it and let him be? I wouldn't let him have any freedom. I put his butt on a long line and make him listen to me. I would start right away teaching the "watch me" command and the "leave it" command.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes this is our first one and he never used to do this. He used to listen to both of us all the time but now not so much. He is not fixed my husband refuses to let me take him in and get that done. And we were told about the trainer through a friend who has our dogs sister from the same litter and she is completely calm and listens. And when he doesnt listen to me i used to be very persistant but now i have just gotten so tired of him doing whatever that i get my husband and he gets the dog. I know thats the wrong thing to do but im at the end of my rope with him. I love him so much and i will never re home him, i just want him to listen again like he did.

·
Banned
3,721 Posts
Fighting breeds do not belong in social environment with otter strange dogs. Your dog is growing up and maturing, he is testing you as pack leaders to see what he can get away with. Hiring a trainer to get rid of the dog agression is impossible. Hiring a trainer to teach the dog focus is very possible but do not set the dog out to failure. This breed doesn't do well with other dogs hence the name pit bull.

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
If you want him to listen to you you have to be persistant in training him. We can give you advice but it is what you do with that will make the changes you want. If this trainer isn't working find a different one. When you are done at class make sure you work on obdeince with your dog everyday. Break it up in to 15min session as many times a day as you can fit it. You can have a well behaved dog with a little time and consistant training.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My husband and I got a nice long lead for him and now when i take him outside to go potty we put that on him so that he cant just run around pretending not to hear me. Him and I both are going to start making more time through out the day to work with him and showing him that he is not in charge. Thank You for all the advice!!

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
YAY!!! that is a step in the right direction. It won't take long for him to figure out that " You mean business". Please keep us updated and ask if you have questions.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok so we are doing good so far with going potty. he still isnt happy that i put him on the leash and everytime i tell him something he looks at my husband. I will tell him to "sit" and he just stands there staring at me. So i say it in a stern voice like my husband and he still just stands there. He wont listen to me unless my husband is there and says something.
And I have a question, about a month ago while my husband was fire fighting in california i came home from work one night and while i was putting my stuff down and getting ready to let cholo outside he just looked at me and started to growl at me. I just stood there not knowing what to do because he has never done that to me or to anyone before. He did this for a little then just walked to the back door and waited for me to open it and let him out. Then when he came back in he acted like nothing happened. I dont understand why he did this??

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
A growl doesn't always mean that they are mad. It is hard to say what triggered him to do that. Do you live in a house or apt? Do you live around lots of people or out in the country? Do you did anything happen around your place that day that could have triggered a reaction.

You need to make him sit or come or whatever you teaching him. Do you use treats? If not you might want to ( I perfer to use praise). When you tell him to sit don't ask him tell him. If he doesn't listen to you place a firm hand on his but say "sit" and puch down so he feels the pressure and will sit. Once he is sitting praise him give a treat if you want to you and then do it again. He is testing you and you have to show him that you are boss.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts