Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
3 weeks ago my husband, daughter and I inherited an 80 lb., 1 1/2 year old red nose pit who doesn't seem to have been trained to go outside to go to the bathroom at all. It took me 3 days to get her to understand to go outside to pee. Now I realize this may be that she was thrown into a new home with new people, she is very loving and tries to please us but I take her out 2 - 3 times a day and every day she still poops in the home. She can be outside for 10 minutes to a half hour and not do anything, come inside and 5 minutes later she poops in front of the door. When I catch her, I tell her outside and get her out immediately so she can finish, but she waits until we go back inside and poops again. It's almost like she thinks it is a reward cause she gets to go outside again. I really need help in getting this fixed or we will not be able to keep her. The previous owners said she had a doggy door at their home but that she was always in a crate because they worked so much and just could not give her the time or attention she needed.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. She is well behaved and I love her already, but the pooping inside has to stop.

·
Super Moderator
4,587 Posts
Is she on a feeding schedule? Dogs usually poo around 15 to 30 mins after eating. Mine goes before, but he's weird. Feed her and take her out. Run her around a little. Light game of fetch nothing strenuouse, just enough to get things headed in the right direction. As soon as you catch her pooping outside act like it's the best thing that has ever happened. Baby voice, treats, the whole nine yards. A couple of times with that, and she'll decide outside is the place to poop.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
I would go back to using the crate until she learns. You will have to keep ontop of her with the potty training and be very consistent with it. I had to do this with a dog over a year and it does take more time then it would say a young pup there habits are already formed and its harder to break but dont give up it gets better. You will have to take her out more then 2-3 x a day while training , once she gets it and learns to hold it then you can do the 2-3 x potty breaks. If you cant keep an eye on her or are out crate her so she doesnt mess your house up, plus they dont like to go to the bathroom where they are sleeping or sitting so more unlikely she would soil her crate. The minute you take her out though its outside time until she goes. If you get her to take a poop outside leave it there for next time { as long as on your property lol} I notice mine like to go in the same area as before. And just PRAISE her when she goes make it into the best thing ever like she is amazing for it they love that kinda attention so will learn that is GOOD. Its going to take alot of work on your part more then hers to get this down , it took a couple months for us to get our girl down { she had no inside manners or potty training, would pee inside too}. So just be patient and let her adjust to you guys too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you

Thank you so much for the advise, she does eat on a schedule, but she only seems to poop early in the morning. This past week we have started to use the crate again and she doesn't pee inside like she used to and I do take her out as soon as we get up, as soon as I'm home from work, and before bed. I tried to get her out yesterday once an hour and walked her around for a while to get her to do something, but she just wanted to sniff around. I will keep trying and keep you posted.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Also if u can carry some cheese or a great and when she goes praise like angel said and give her a treat as well. Just me her know lots of good things come out of her going the bathroom. But yeah, you gotta keep outside with her til she goes. I knd if I go for a walk 9 times out of 10 my boy goes after 10 or 15 minutes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you very much, she's a good girl and really wants to do the right thing, it's like she just hasn't made that connection yet and was not taught to hold it or where to go in the beginning. Her name is Leah and she's just beautiful. I'll post pics and update everyone as we go through this.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
She's going outside!!

I just wanted to let everyone know that Leah finally pooped outside and hasn't had an accident inside our home since. She got sick, and when she got better everything seems to be connecting for her and she is letting me know when she has to go out and holds it until I can take her out now. I am very thankful for the advice I have received and the praise she got made her to happy, her tail just wagged and I was filled with kisses. She is doing so good now. So thank you again. My husband is just thrilled that she is doing so much better.:love2:

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Yay!! Great when love and effort pay off! Glad she is feeling better and adjusting well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts