Go Pitbull Forums banner

Training tips

Tags
tips training
3K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  shoneyhulsey 
#1 ·
We recently got 2 pit puppies about 12 weeks old and I need some advice on training them. Just the basics come sit stay and potty training. They play a little ruff with my kids as well so if u have any ideas how I can get them to play without hurting my Babys I would appreciate it. We have owned pits before but haven't had puppies in a long time and its kinda difficult to get them to focus with so many distractions. We just want them to be good family pets. If u have any tips I would very much appreciate it.

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Having successfully (for the most part) raised littermates, the absolute single most crucial piece of advice you can get is to separate, separate, separate. Feed them separate, crate them in separate rooms, play with them separate, train them separate, etc.... If you don't separate as much as humanly possible in the early stages, you are going to end up with two dogs who only bond with/rely on each other and not you. Even my vet was very unhappy with me when he learned I adopted two littermates but I was able to be successful for this very reason and managed to get back on his good side lol. Additionally, each pup needs to be treated as an individual and handled as such. My boy is much more obedient and attached to me. My little girl is much more independent and but not quite as confident. I had/still have to use different techniques when training. She responds beautifully to praise and lots of it. She will do anything as long as I'm telling her what a good girl she is. He's way more confident and knows what a good boy he is, so he requires corrections to train. Me telling him he's a good boy is like me telling him he's a dog. He already knows! They are still quite bonded to each other and definitely want each other when they first are let out of their crates but they both look to me for direction and protection from scaring things and all things good in life.

#6 ·
Wow thank u for that advice I was having so much trouble teaching them both. I didn't realize keeping them together would do so much harm either! We also had a small incident today the female (Karma) bit my daughter and drew blood, it was again over food and I'm sure she didn't mean to hurt her but still shook my baby up.

#7 ·
Wow thank u for that advice I was having so much trouble teaching them both. I didn't realize keeping them together would do so much harm either! We also had a small incident today the female (Karma) bit my daughter and drew blood, it was again over food and I'm sure she didn't mean to hurt her but still shook my baby up.

This is when you teach your children to respect your dogs and their meal time, just like (I hope) you will train the pups to respect the humans' meal time.

My children help feed our dogs, give treats, work on training with them, etc but once the dogs have their food, we leave them.alone until they are finished eating. This isn't because I don't trust my dogs, but because I expect my children to respect our dogs just as I've trained our dogs to respect us.

Side note: dogs have many ways of communicating with us, starting usually with body language, growling, barking and then action. Please do not correct your pups for giving verbal cues, especially if you're not familiar with their body language yet, as they're only trying to communicate their discontent and shouldn't be reprimanded for communicating in the only ways they know how.

Dynamic duo gave solid advice for raising litter mates. I have nothing to add there.

#11 ·
Yes they sure do! Crate train is the best and easiest way to housebreak. Crate them whenever you cannot supervise. Try to take them out every 2-3 hrs (yes around the clock unfortunately). Praise praise praise when they potty outside. As a general rule dogs can hold their urine for as many hours as equal to their age. So 12 week pups (3 mos) can’t hold it longer than 3 hours. With two you’re going to feel like you’re outside with one all. The. Time! Don’t correct them in the house unless you literally catch them in the act. If that happens immediately pick them up and take them outside and praise them when they go outside. Treats, dances, verbal praise. Make a HUGE deal out of it. They should get the idea pretty quick but, like with all things dog related, it takes patience, consistency and perseverance. It’s going to be a TON of work for a while but the more work you put in now while they’re young the more it will pay off with well behaved dogs later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#13 ·
Just a little up date. The pups are amazing! Super smart, they have mastered sit stay and come still having issues with potty training tho Karma pees when she gets excited or when the kids play to loud any advice on how to stop her nervous peeing lol? I've only seen small dogs have this problem so I'm not sure what to do?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.