Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got these pain meds prescribed by the vet. I did a little research and I'm not real comfortabe with the possible side effects. I read the dog can even develop a dependecy on the drugs. They were prescribed for a simple growth removal on the arm and dental, i have a 2 week supply at which time I return for suture removal. I'm not sure I really need to give these meds for 2 weeks, my dog doesn't seem to be in any pain (at least she isn't showing it but she has always been very stoic so I dont know if she is in pain or how much). I imagine if it was that bad I would see her favoring her leg or something but she isnt displaying any signs of discomfort or anything; granted, she's on the meds thus far. I dont know if I am over-reacting as I have no experience with these meds and I realize sometimes warnings are given to err on the safe side in terms of product liability. On the other hand, I recall when my girl got an emergency spay surgery and had a tube put in her leg to release an infection I wasn't given any pain killers to bring home which to me that was a way more invasive surgery and recovery. So I guess i have 2 questions really....1) does the procedure of a growth removal on arm and dental warrant administering these meds? and 2) If so, do you think it is necessary to give them an entire 2 weeks? She had surgery 2 days ago and has been given 5 doses thus far....1 pill every 12 hours. Appreciate any advice!

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
My Lab had to have his front leg amputated, so unfortunately I have a lot of experience with pain meds.

The side affects can be scary with Tramadol. Anything from heavy panting and whining to seeing pink elephants, to being in a depressed like state. IMO the side affects of Tramadol far outweigh the benefits.

Personally, I would use only as needed especially since the procedure doesn't sound that invasive. Is your pup on antibiotics?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My Lab had to have his front leg amputated, so unfortunately I have a lot of experience with pain meds.

The side affects can be scary with Tramadol. Anything from heavy panting and whining to seeing pink elephants, to being in a depressed like state. IMO the side affects of Tramadol far outweigh the benefits.

Personally, I would use only as needed especially since the procedure doesn't sound that invasive. Is your pup on antibiotics?
Yes she is on antibiotics as well. I was leaning towards your recommendation, just wanted to hear other's feedback. Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts