Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so tomorrow is the BSL walk in Snohomish,which is a good hour and a half from my house.
So a bunch of us are going,and taking a truck.

Bruno and Beia have never ridden in the back of a truck before.

I plan on tying their kennels down,and putting a blanket and tarp over them in case of rain,and to block out the noise.

Is there anything else I can do? I've never had dogs ride in the back of a truck either.

Makes me a bit nervous,I want them to be safe,since we will be on the freeway. I don't want Bruno to try any of his daring escapes.

·
Fat-Dogs-R-Us
8,761 Posts
I transport the dogs in the back of the truck in crates all the time. I do use plastic crates though. I loop a choke chain through the side of the crate and attach it to the front door, and secure it with a lock.... not only does it make it more of a pain in the butt for the dog to get out of the crate, but it deters people from stealing them at stops along the road. If the truck happens to have a back window leave it open for a short while to you can listen for them panicking. I doubt they will, but you wouldn't want a panicked dog busting a crate going down the freeway. I'm sure you'll know whether or not they won't make the ride before you get on the ramp.

Reactions: Xiahko

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
Ugh. Maybe it's just me but the thought of going down the freeway with my dog in the bed of a pick-up truck, even in a crate, makes me cringe. I'm just way too paranoid to do that.

·
Banned
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I transport the dogs in the back of the truck in crates all the time. I do use plastic crates though. I loop a choke chain through the side of the crate and attach it to the front door, and secure it with a lock.... not only does it make it more of a pain in the butt for the dog to get out of the crate, but it deters people from stealing them at stops along the road. If the truck happens to have a back window leave it open for a short while to you can listen for them panicking. I doubt they will, but you wouldn't want a panicked dog busting a crate going down the freeway. I'm sure you'll know whether or not they won't make the ride before you get on the ramp.
Unfortunately,I only have the wired ones. Do you think they will be ok to use too?

I did plan on leaving the back window open,so I can see them. Beia might even be able to stay with us in the truck,on my lap,but Bruno is to much of a wiggler,and requires a seat belt in the car. But since the truck will be jammed packed,he doesn't get that option this time.

I just hope he doesn't freak,that's what I am worried about. Cause he has busted out before.
I think I'll go buy a padock just to be safe.

·
Banned
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ugh. Maybe it's just me but the thought of going down the freeway with my dog in the bed of a pick-up truck, even in a crate, makes me cringe. I'm just way too paranoid to do that.
Me too. That's why I am kinda having second thoughts. :/

·
Fat-Dogs-R-Us
8,761 Posts
Me too. That's why I am kinda having second thoughts. :/
Katie, he'll be fine. I like the plastic crates because it blocks out some of the wind... also, if you're anything like me... vertically challenged REMEMBER: put the latches on the crate closest to the wall of the truck bed so you don't have to climb in the back of the truck to get him out.

I have crate busters, but none of them have ever thought about busting a crate when they know they are going some where. My wire crates that I keep inside have two- three zip ties attaching each panel to each other.

·
Banned
3,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We ended up taking a car(some people bailed on us). LOL, After all that stress they put me through....
Oh well. I know what to do next time! Thanks!! They had so much fun today,and Bruno got along with the other dogs! It was good to see them getting out,and getting socialized, in a safe environment,with people that knew what they were doing!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts